We avoided disaster on our 5.2 Magnum build. ALWAYS inspect OOTB Heads !!!!

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Toolmanmike asked me to start a thread to warn folks that may not know that "ready to run out of the box" heads need to be inspected. Here is what we found, and diverted a catastrophe, on our 5.2 magnum build. And for those that don't have time for the entire video, you can start on the 9 minute mark.

Unbelievable and you haven't even got to the valve grind yet. Thanks for what you do here.

Unbelievable and you haven't even got to the valve grind yet. Thanks for what you do here.
yes, our video was diverted unplanned ... lol. We'll get it fixed. And, the castings actually look pretty good.

I'm unable to watch the video. What was wrong with the heads?

What happened??..
All the intake ports on one head had tablespoons of casting sand in them. Unbelievable. The other head had some too, about a teaspoon for all the ports. And it's one thing to read it in a comment, it's another when you see it come out of the ports !!! Hit's home a little harder

Also, what's worth mentioning, is the comments being shared (and they'll keep coming in over the days) on this video on my channel show this isn't a freakish find, but a continuation of poor-quality control. If this video inspires even one person to take the time and inspect and find something like this saving their engine, it's worth it.

Also, what's worth mentioning, is the comments being shared (and they'll keep coming in over the days) on this video on my channel show this isn't a freakish find, but a continuation of poor-quality control. If this video inspires even one person to take the time and inspect and find something like this saving their engine, it's worth it.
Unfortunately this is not at all surprising these days.

Everything has to be triple checked, measured, and scrutinized.

The brand new bad parts are going to ruin the hobby.

Unfortunately there are a lot of businesses out there that will go down the tubes as well even if they do try to put out a good product.

That is complete Bull ****, what the hell is wrong with some of these parts manufactures? They should be put out of business.

The last engine I was putting together, I took to a machine shop where I used to live. It’s 3 hours away from me now, but I figured it would be worth it since I know they do a good job. They did do another good job, but they forgot one of the valve stem seals on the heads they rebuilt for me. Luckily I inspected them before installing them!

Unfortunately this is not at all surprising these days.

Everything has to be triple checked, measured, and scrutinized.

The brand new bad parts are going to ruin the hobby.

Unfortunately there are a lot of businesses out there that will go down the tubes as well even if they do try to put out a good product.
The people they hire don't give a ****. Its common these days. They cut the balls off America...

318willNOTrun......with those heads,thats BS quality control on their part.
Let us know here, what the Manufacturer has to say, about this.
good save, pays to look:wtf::elmer:

awfull cant trust anything
when i bought my 2 yr old used ariens 30 inch 414cc snowblower
it still had metal shavings in the metal tank from drilling the hole for the fuel shutoff
lct engines shamefull ariens didnt catch that its a tsb now
trust nothing
glad you found it prior to install

Incredible!
There's absolutely no excuse for that.
Good catch on your part, and thanks for sharing your findings with us.
I can't wait to see how the rest of the parts turn out...

Great video and thanks. But you still won't reach the ignorant, stupid and the hard headed. They're gonna do what they're gonna do regardless.

Last edited:
I bought a set of assembled EQ heads back around 2016. Went to their place in Chicago and got the last one from one pallet and the 1st from another pallet, for my 01 Durango 360.
I had a fresh engine, and I trusted the "ready to run out of the box" and it cost me dearly.
That motor had all of 3 hours on it and I didn't make it 6 miles on the maiden voyage and I had to call my kid and a tow strap because of them. I ruined a fresh build because of them. Back then I paid $700 for a set of brand new assembled heads and bolted them on. #4 exhaust valve stuck and met a piston.
And $250 more, to a machine shop to straighten them out. The guy said he had had several engines over the years that had sat in damp places and had valves stuck from it that he didn't have to work as hard to get valves out of as he had to on this set/ especially the intakes. And he went in and on about out of round valve seats that took way too much work to "square up".

I bought a set of assembled EQ heads back around 2016. Went to their place in Chicago and got the last one from one pallet and the 1st from another pallet, for my 01 Durango 360.
I had a fresh engine, and I trusted the "ready to run out of the box" and it cost me dearly.
That motor had all of 3 hours on it and I didn't make it 6 miles on the maiden voyage and I had to call my kid and a tow strap because of them. I ruined a fresh build because of them. Back then I paid $700 for a set of brand new assembled heads and bolted them on. #4 exhaust valve stuck and met a piston.
And $250 more, to a machine shop to straighten them out. The guy said he had had several engines over the years that had sat in damp places and had valves stuck from it that he didn't have to work as hard to get valves out of as he had to on this set/ especially the intakes. And he went in and on about out of round valve seats that took way too much work to "square up".
Thanks for sharing this story. It's a strong message to folks looking to by new and hoping to bolt and go out of the box.

Sooo the brake cleaner you used for the leakage test, disolved the paint? They did paint the ports?!?

Those ports did seem rather narrow! That's really bad, no excuse for that to leave any place of manufacture. Even China. 65'

Sooo the brake cleaner you used for the leakage test, disolved the paint? They did paint the ports?!?
no, it didn't dissolve the paint. Actually, I tried to scratch a mark in the paint for re-assembly and I couldn't scratch it with a screw driver

Those ports did seem rather narrow! That's really bad, no excuse for that to leave any place of manufacture. Even China. 65'
2 things:
  1. Heads were CAST in China. The castings look great
  2. Machining is done in Nevada to my knowledge. Machining may be ok but the CLEAN-UP was non-existent.

-
Back