We be mov'n ta Spokane, LOL

-
One of the biggest reasons for inflation is that our dollar is worth less and less by the day. Our government is printing money like crazy,backed by nothing. I think the time is coming where you can use paper money for toilet paper.

wow some of these arguements are sofa king we todd ed , Washington is not the highest cost of living Alaska and Hawaii are both much more expensive and most of California is right up there , inflation is relative if they have been creeping the cost of living up then of course wages need to be adjusted , are some of you really saying they haven't been raising the cost of living the last 10 years or so since the last big adjustment in minimum wage ? And without pointing fingers I would like to know where Cops earn less than 30k a year because most police forces pay close to twice that and it's generally a tax free job ,not to mention the pension and benefits , I know former American cops who retired with half salary at 40 years old . I also know Michigan State Police Officers who took stress leave after less than 5 years on the job and are collecting medical leave benefits until they have enough"time in" to be pensioned off at half salary while operating their own business's .

Virginia Sate Police start out at 36,207, local county deputies start at 24,000. I am not a cop but I got a cost of living raise this year like every year. The problem is my health insurance goes up every year too. As a result I will make a whole $3.00 more a month this year.

Average starting salary for a police officer in Macon, Georgia is 25K. They've not had a pay scale for police and fire departments in probably 20 years. That's why nine times out of ten, police officers will get on with Macon because it's so easy, get mandated then take jobs elsewhere.

I don't understand all the ins and outs but
Looks to me, if you round everything up for easy math
its something like:
2080hrs a year = 40hrs a week
15 dollar wage is 31,200 gross
O care starts at 30k for a single person
Costs 5k forced pay +6k deductible + 20% after the deductible
per year if you get sick.
Somewhere in there you add income tax
and your needs to sustain life at a reasonable level.

Maybe someone else can carry this forward
or may want to detail it even more cause this is
VERY rough math.

15 dollars doesn't look like it will go too far after the
quick math.

quick math.

Absolutely right, and it didn't go very far in 2000, either. The fact is, there are lots and LOTS of people in this area existing on 1980's wages!!! and paying 2024 inflation!!!!

Absolutely right, and it didn't go very far in 2000, either. The fact is, there are lots and LOTS of people in this area existing on 1980's wages!!! and paying 2024 inflation!!!!

It sure as hell ain't any members of congress, is it?

It's not that they can't fire someone, it's that they don't want to pay unemployment. My youngest son is a shift lead for Sonic, and they are like that. He tells me that they have some absolutely worthless employees that the company won't fire just because they don't want to pay unemployment. From what he tells me they have a few employees that only get scheduled for 1 hour a week, hoping they will quit but they won't. Also AZ is a right to work state, so if you want a job you have to take what they are willing to pay. ($7.25 an hour min wage here) My Son makes quite a bit more than that being in the position he is in as a shift leader, but he still car hops for extra cash between checks. Currently he is pretty pissed off that he has caught the assistant manager trying to steal cash out of the deposits that my Son is responsible for, and also the car hop's tip money. So when she get's away with it here and there with the deposits and he doesn't notice, he has to make it right out of his own pocket. When she gets away with it out of the car hops tips they are just **** out of luck, and she tells them they miscounted. Problem is, she is the wife of the franchise owner. How messed up is that?
even a franchise owner has a boss. He/she has to report to the companies corporate office. All he has to do is call them and she will be canned that quick, BUT he has to be able to furnish solid evidence proving her to be in the wrong

I don't understand all the ins and outs but
Looks to me, if you round everything up for easy math
its something like:
2080hrs a year = 40hrs a week
15 dollar wage is 31,200 gross
O care starts at 30k for a single person
Costs 5k forced pay +6k deductible + 20% after the deductible
per year if you get sick.
Somewhere in there you add income tax
and your needs to sustain life at a reasonable level.

Maybe someone else can carry this forward
or may want to detail it even more cause this is
VERY rough math.

quick math.

I remember years ago, my wife and I had just gotten married and she got a part-time job. It turns out her part-time job put us in the next tax bracket, and wound up costing us almost as much as she was making. In that case it really did not pay for her to work, other than giving her something to do.

Raising minimum wage to $15.00 an hour will do the same thing. Not only will they be in another tax bracket, but the cost of everything will climb too, as it will cost more to serve those Big Macs etc. A Big Mac extra value meal that is about $5.50 now, could rise to $11.00. The price if items in a convenience store could also double. It will also mean a lot of minimum wage jobs we have now will be cut, so quite a few people will lose the jobs they have now. I'm not saying all this is good, it is just the reality of the economy we live in.

I always thought minimum wage jobs were for people in transitions. Working and going to school or a summer time job. Now I see a lot of my high school friends staying at those jobs and trying to maintain a family! That is nuts!

Yet, they got big flat screens and other expensive electronics.

I don't get it. Maybe consumerism?

And then people get happy when a company like Wallmart says it will bring 20,000 jobs. Yeah "jobs" but what about carriers? How many of them are they bringing?

I would like to see the number of minimum wage jobs Per capita, # of "minimum X 2" wage jobs Per capita, # of "minimum X 4"...ect. From today compared to the last 50 years.

I have a feeling there maybe more minimum wage workers Per capita today.

Americans get fewer paid holidays than any others too. The people don't pay much attention to this but you can bet the employers do.
I observe today / Jan. 8 as a holiday even though unpaid.
Happy birthday Elvis

Jus' heard on "thee news" tonight, their "big list" of "improvements" in the law for next year, WA state now has the highest minimum wage in the nation over 9 bucks an hour

We're also taxed on just about everything!

Glenn

The problem lies witht the employer. Not the employee. As stated, minimum wage jobs should be the transitional jobs, temporary positions, etc. But most employers refuse to pay their employee one cent more than the law absolutely requires them to pay. When there are more jobs than employees, the employers have no incentive to raise wages. If employers would have voluntarily given performance increases, minimum wage would still be down considerably.

-
Back