Weekend at National Trail Raceway

-

71Demon528

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last weekend my wife and I decided to head to National Trail Raceway in Hebron, OH for their Triple Crown race. It was the first time her and I had gone racing alone with no friends from our local track, just ourselves. The weather looked horrible all week no matter where you wanted to go, whether it was Quaker City, Norwalk for national event, 42 for bottom bulb, etc. We decided to chance it and head to National Trail Raceway because it at least looked like we would get one day in. Was hoping to get the bye 4th round after catching a .000 light in 3rd round, but that didn't happen. So 4th round I'm .009 to his .018 off the hit, then top end comes, I hit the brakes to give it back .007. Darn it. Being out of town with my wife and having the win light come on a few times was pretty cool as she was excited. Car was launching great off the starting line as the track was really tight. Sunday, got knocked out first round after my opponent was .006 on the tree dead on the dial with a 5 for an .011 package. I was .027 and .008 under the dial, no good. All in all, fun weekend. Can't wait for the next event I will be at which will be with pittsburghracer a Keystone's Top Bulb Nationals at the end of July.

Race car.jpg

Race car 2.jpg

Last edited:
And i can't believe how many penn racers are on this forum... detroit isn't very represented...

To be honest I’m shocked as well how many PA guys are on here. Usually don’t see many mopars week to week. When I go to Ohio there’s always more mopars at Ohio tracks than I’m used to

To be honest I’m shocked as well how many PA guys are on here. Usually don’t see many mopars week to week. When I go to Ohio there’s always more mopars at Ohio tracks than I’m used to
My dream as a kid was to bracket race for fun 11-10second, nothing nuts... hope to get there eventually.. tracks are too far to drive to.. i think i should move closer to milan :)

I have never been to Milan but have been told I need to go one day. Where is your closest track?

My wife goes racing with me maybe every 3-4 years. I think if we had a coach she’d join me more often.

I have never been to Milan but have been told I need to go one day. Where is your closest track?
Milan is bout 2 hours away (maybe 90 mins on a good day) One called Ubly about a hour away which is a small track but has actually been upgrading and new owners when we thought it was going under.. And lapeer dragway which i am not a big fan of but about a hour away also.. nothing too horrible but father than i wanna drive with 4.57s and the way i worry bout having to be towed :)

My wife goes racing with me maybe every 3-4 years. I think if we had a coach she’d join me more often.
Yeah, i like going to the track even if it's just for a few hours to watch.. no one ever wants to go though, kinda annoying

Milan is bout 2 hours away (maybe 90 mins on a good day) One called Ubly about a hour away which is a small track but has actually been upgrading and new owners when we thought it was going under.. And lapeer dragway which i am not a big fan of but about a hour away also.. nothing too horrible but father than i wanna drive with 4.57s and the way i worry bout having to be towed :)
Oh wow ya that’s quite a drive with 4.57 gears lol I don’t blame you. Sounds like you need a gear vendors overdrive unit and it will help on the highway. I know a guy I recently built a 727 for with a gear vendors unit said it dropped 800 rpm on the highway.

You hit the nail on the head. The more my wife learned the more she enjoys going now because she understands what’s happening.

Oh wow ya that’s quite a drive with 4.57 gears lol I don’t blame you. Sounds like you need a gear vendors overdrive unit and it will help on the highway. I know a guy I recently built a 727 for with a gear vendors unit said it dropped 800 rpm on the highway.
yeah, i would kill for a GV... will eventually switch to 3.55 or 3.73 something in that range, the 4.57 pig was free.. so not gonna complain :)

I used to take my cats along but they told me they needed the break from me. Great seeing you go some rounds, again.

Last weekend my wife and I decided to head to National Trail Raceway in Hebron, OH for their Triple Crown race. It was the first time her and I had gone racing alone with no friends from our local track, just ourselves. The weather looked horrible all week no matter where you wanted to go, whether it was Quaker City, Norwalk for national event, 42 for bottom bulb, etc. We decided to chance it and head to National Trail Raceway because it at least looked like we would get one day in. Was hoping to get the bye 4th round after catching a .000 light in 3rd round, but that didn't happen. So 4th round I'm .009 to his .018 off the hit, then top end comes, I hit the brakes to give it back .007. Darn it. Being out of town with my wife and having the win light come on a few times was pretty cool as she was excited. Car was launching great off the starting line as the track was really tight. Sunday, got knocked out first round after my opponent was .006 on the tree dead on the dial with a 5 for an .011 package. I was .027 and .008 under the dial, no good. All in all, fun weekend. Can't wait for the next event I will be at which will be with pittsburghracer a Keystone's Top Bulb Nationals at the end of July.

View attachment 1716107712

View attachment 1716107713
That thing is SWEEEEET

If I ever get my junk going, then build another engine id like to do the -1s and TR or b1's and TR.
You’ll get there like we all do. Just takes time and money. The -1s are good heads for sure. I know B1 has good stuff too I just don’t have much experience with them.

You’ll get there like we all do. Just takes time and money. The -1s are good heads for sure. I know B1 has good stuff too I just don’t have much experience with them.

I ran 8.40’s@160mph in my Daytona with 440-1 heads still fighting a fuel delivery issue. The Indy 440-1 heads are a simple head that I would recommend to anyone. Since those runs I reworked those heads and picked up some nice flow numbers and they were in the mid to upper 370cfm area. Since that time I had a local shop open them up for 2.250 valves, a move I wish I hadn’t done. I didn’t have my valve seat machine then and I’m hoping I can redo their rather simple valve job with the four angle cutter I have now. I’m guessing I can get those heads flowing in the 390cfm area. I have my B1 heads flowing 420cfm but they aren’t as user friendly. Hopefully I get to test them sometime but between the two heads I would recommend the ported Indy heads for most racers.

Last edited:
I ran 8.40’s@160mph in my Daytona with 440-1 heads still fighting a fuel delivery issue. The Indy 440-1 heads are a simple head that I would recommend to anyone. Since those runs I reworked those heads and picked up some nice flow numbers and they were in the mid to upper 370cfm area. Since that time I had a local shop open them up for 2.250 valves, a move I wish I hadn’t done. I didn’t have my valve seat machine then and I’m hoping I can redo their rather simple valve job with the four angle cutter I have now. I’m guessing I can get those heads flowing in the 390cfm area. I have my B1 heads flowing 420cfm but they aren’t as user friendly. Hopefully I get to test them sometime but between the two heads I would recommend the ported Indy heads for most racers.
What about the b1 isn't user friendly?
Thanks, yeah it will happen someday

-
Back