Weiand Tunnel Ram

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
Well, I ended up getting one for my 440 from Speedway. It had been on backorder since December! Corners were hanging out of the box as they packed it very poorly, but luckily it looks fine. I set the top on it and WOW, ports aren't even close to matching up. Only 2 out of 8 are even close. I am talking about an 1/8 step of metal on most sides! This has to hurt flow as each port is different. I guess I have to break out the die grinder and get to work. I was expecting more for $410. Tell me I am making something out of nothing...

20170216_191402.jpg
20170216_191410.jpg

You should have gotten a used older one. The new castings suck. As you have found out first hand.

....and no, you are not making something out of nothing.

That's about normal, I have never seen one on the money. I have had to match every one.

Well, I ended up getting one for my 440 from Speedway. It had been on backorder since December! Corners were hanging out of the box as they packed it very poorly, but luckily it looks fine. I set the top on it and WOW, ports aren't even close to matching up. Only 2 out of 8 are even close. I am talking about an 1/8 step of metal on most sides! This has to hurt flow as each port is different. I guess I have to break out the die grinder and get to work. I was expecting more for $410. Tell me I am making something out of nothing...

View attachment 1715018863 View attachment 1715018864

That top needs to be welled up before you grind anything.

There is no need to just blow the holes out.

You can also slot the holes in the top and make the alignment better before you grind. I don't like just hogging on stuff like that when you can mitigate some grinding with grinding.

That top needs to be welled up before you grind anything.

There is no need to just blow the holes out.

You can also slot the holes in the top and make the alignment better before you grind. I don't like just hogging on stuff like that when you can mitigate some grinding with grinding.

Not sure what "welled up" means. Do you mean aluminum filler? Can I just epoxy it then grind it down? I don't want anything to fall into this new motor!

MoPar man said; "Tell me I am making something out of nothing"

IMO, yes you are. Though I do understand. And agree the older castings were better. I just sold one that was WAY better than that. Almost an excellent match.
My M1 is a lot, and I mean, A LOT worse than what you show in yours.

Welcome to racing parts!!!!
Nothing new here!

Not sure what "welled up" means. Do you mean aluminum filler? Can I just epoxy it then grind it down? I don't want anything to fall into this new motor!

Damn, I have been sick for days.

I meant weld it up before I grind on it. Or slot the holes and see if it lines up better without all that grinding.

If I can weld something and save making it bigger than it needs to be I weld it.

Just looked at the pictures again.

Yes, I would weld on the top before I ground on it. It looks like some places will be very thin a sharp if you just grind stuff to make it fit.

A little machinist dye, scratch all, die grinder, you are on your way. Should t take long to complete.

I just un boxed mine a couple of days ago and haven't even taken it it the shop to clean it up. After that I'll evaluate further.

I have used 3 weiand tunnel rams and I took a grinder to everyone of them and gasket matched the top to the bottom. I think more ppl would gasket match all intakes if the could see the problem with miss matched intake ports as easy as in the tunnel ram . The old DC motor manual says its a must to get the maximum power out of this intake thats why its so hard to find one that hasn`t been ground on. It took me years to find a low deck TR for my car that wasn`t ground on mainly because i would rather be the one doing the grinding

I bought a brand new on eBay a few years ago for 300. It was just like the op one. Ok dumb question time. Mine had series II or version II cast on the top. Anybody know what was difffent from version I?

-
Back