weight savings w/ altercation

-

0ld school

Reaction score
i want to use an altercation set-up on my 68 cuda. i'm only doing it for the weight savings and header clearence.

anybody know the exact weight savings going from a stock k frame with manual steering, to the altercation with power steering?

I'm just around the corner from making a few 1/4 miles specials....aluminum K-frame, chromoly upper and lower control arms,71-72 pinto rack.

I posted a thread on this forum a month ago...I'll bump it to the top

Denny

Weight savings depends on what your stock set up is and what options like ps and brakes up go with on the alter-k.

I would like to see real numbers, not just someones guess.........

I would like to see real numbers, not just someones guess.........

Like I said it depends on what you have stock and what options you go with. There is no standard number.

The biggest weight savings would be going from a stock power steering disc brake and sway bar car to an alter-k with a manual rack, no sway bar and the smaller wilwood brakes. Not sure what number would be but I do know a stock power box and steering linkage is quite a bit heavier then a manual rack. Lol.

i went from manual steering, manual brakes, slant 6 k-frame, 10 inch drum brakes to the alterkation with 12.19 wilwood brakes, and a power rack. I dropped 94 pounds over the stock stuff. these are real world numbers, i weighed everything. that, combined with my aluminum headed smallblock, helped me drop a considerate amount of weight of the nose.

During my conversation today with HemiDenny in regards to this kind of setup with coil overs etc on both his set-up and RMS Alterkation, he said it isn't about weight saving as much as adding space and the fact that you gain space from that set-up doesn't necessarily mean it corners any better than what we already have with a modified stock set-up using the correct sway bars, shocks, disc brakes and tires. BTW, HemoDenny and I have the same books from years back which show how to make an early A body handle well.

I would like to make my 68 fish handle well... as long as I will be taking the front end apart anyways for paint.

During my conversation today with HemiDenny in regards to this kind of setup with coil overs etc on both his set-up and RMS Alterkation, he said it isn't about weight saving as much as adding space and the fact that you gain space from that set-up doesn't necessarily mean it corners any better than what we already have with a modified stock set-up using the correct sway bars, shocks, disc brakes and tires. BTW, HemoDenny and I have the same books from years back which show how to make an early A body handle well.

EXCELLENT POST!!! Finally someone who sees the real picture. HAHA.

i went from manual steering, manual brakes, slant 6 k-frame, 10 inch drum brakes to the alterkation with 12.19 wilwood brakes, and a power rack. I dropped 94 pounds over the stock stuff. these are real world numbers, i weighed everything. that, combined with my aluminum headed smallblock, helped me drop a considerate amount of weight of the nose.

I'm not going to argue it, but I don't see almost 100 pounds.

-
Back