Weird Groove on Converter snout/bad leak

-

hdfattboy2001

Never Enough Cars!
Reaction score
HEy guys, My 904 was leaking badly,it was rebuilt 2 years ago.
Pulled it to change pump seal and found weird grooves on the converter snout, I've seen a groove around them from the seal before, but these grooves don't go completely around it. one side is completely smooth, the other 3/4 of it is grooved a little and not a perfect ring almost a little corkscrewed?
Obviously this where my leak is coming from, I dont recall the snout being this way when I installed the converter new 2 years ago, but I suppose there is a small chance it could possibly be flawed from the factory and I didnt notice? Or is it possible i have something bent? Car runs and drives great, no vibrations etc just leaks like a b*st*rd!...HELP!

Thanks!

BRAD

That doesn't sound good Brad. Sounds like it's possible the front pump bushing is trashed. Maybe whoever rebuilt the trans screwed up the bushing when installing it or another possibility is there is a trans to engine alignment issue. Shine a light down into the front pump where the converter slips in and see how things look. If the bushing is trashed the pump will have to come out for repair. Do you have a transmission/converter shop near you? If so they should be able to replace the snout. Usually doesn't cost too much. My guy charges me $85 to replace the snout and disassemble the converter, clean it and reassemble it. If the bushing is chewed up it can also take the pump out with it and fill the pan full of metal that'll need cleaned out and the transmission cooler will also need to be flushed out.

I'd be planning on checking bell alignment, although not sure how you'd do that on a TF

You sure the bell bolts haven't bee run loose?

I know the bell was tight to the Block because it was a bear to get unbolted, but it very well could be a bad bushing. Im taking both the tranny and converter to a shop tomorrow, i dont know that ill go to the guys that built the tranny because i know they are good builders but they dont build converters like another place I know.
Just when I thought this was going to be a quick/cheap fix to get me back on the road now that the weather is finally getting better up here!
Is it possible for the bushing to go bad in only a couple thousand miles? Maybe the 904 isn't enough tranny for my motor? Its a healthy 360 that gets its neck rang quite often by my heavy right foot...

Thanks

I know the bell was tight to the Block because it was a bear to get unbolted, but it very well could be a bad bushing. Im taking both the tranny and converter to a shop tomorrow, i dont know that ill go to the guys that built the tranny because i know they are good builders but they dont build converters like another place I know.
Just when I thought this was going to be a quick/cheap fix to get me back on the road now that the weather is finally getting better up here!
Is it possible for the bushing to go bad in only a couple thousand miles? Maybe the 904 isn't enough tranny for my motor? Its a healthy 360 that gets its neck rang quite often by my heavy right foot...

Thanks

There is also a good posibility that the converter hub (snout) has excessive runout. The hub shouldn't have anymore than about 25 thou. runout. Any more than that and you've got your problem. Any quality converter rebuilder aims for no more than 15 thou runout or less. Bushings don't usually go bad in that low of mileage unless when it was pressed into the pump housing it wasn't pressed in straight.

Bushings don't usually go bad in that low of mileage unless when it was pressed into the pump housing it wasn't pressed in straight.

Or staked, and it spun in the pump. (which REALLY sucks)
I do both red locktite and stake them.

like the others said, unless something wasn't done right on install the bushing should not go bad in that little amount of time. 4 yrs. ago I rebuilt a trans that had 240,000 miles on it and the front bushing was worn but not terrible. Sounds like you have a good plan of attack.

These old cars are a love hate relationship. Yesterday I spent all morning running the valve lash, cleaning the spark plugs and re-jetting the carb then we cleaned our Cuda all up to head out to a cruise. Went to the local gas station to fill it up and when I got in it to leave all I got was click-click. The starter died. Finally got it to catch and got home. I know starters aren't a big deal but I have headers on it and it's impossible to get the starter off without unbolting the engine, lifting it up and removing the drivers side header. And at the moment I'm doing my best to give birth to the 3rd kidney stone in 6 months. Ugh!!

^^That might be the one advantage to Hedmans.........you can get the starter on and off, LOL^^

Yes there are lot of days when i think about selling all the classics and buying ONE nice NEW blown Hemi Challenger. Something i can turn the key and blast down the thruway with the A/C cranking instead of constantly wrenching/swearing and tossing gobs of $$$ at the old girls all the time! BUT in my opinion, anyone can do that and there isn't a lot of pride in going that route.
That sucks about the starter though, I can pull my mini starter out from behind my Dougs headers, It always takes time to figure exactly what angle to twist it though before it falls out.
I'll keep you all posted on what the tranny shop says!

Trans shop says they are going to replace the bushing/seal. He thinks it looks like either the tranny wasn't lined up straight, or possibly wasnt snug in the crank... I have to take my motor off the stand and see if it is a good fit in the crank. There is a shop that builds converters and can replace my snout, I need to call tomorrow on pricing. Right now i only have a 2800 stall converter, I would like to go to a 3500 possibly. If that shop can change the stall/snout cheap enough i will go that route, If not what converters do you guys recommend that wont break the bank??? The one I had was a Hughes, seemed good, but like I say it has an advertised flash of 2800, but my motor is making it stall a lot sooner than id like

Misalignment sure can trash things.

I've had good luck with Hughes converters but have noticed they usually stall lower than advertised. I put one of their 2800 stall units in a buddy's 440 powered Challenger and it only stalls about 2500. Hate to imagine how low it'd stall if it were a low compression 360. That's my only gripe with them. I've also had good luck with PTC and their not real expensive. I ordered a 3000 stall for my Cuda and it stalls right on the mark. Drives real nice on the street too. Unless I'm pulling a big hill at low speeds it doesn't slip much at all like some converters do. Those are the only 2 low dollar converters I'd use.

my converter is getting dropped off at a place that builds custom converters tomorrow hopefully. Guy there said there is a good chance that my snout isn't welded straight on my current one. I kinda hope thats the case so i dont have to worry anymore. I may end up having him build me a custom converter, they are very reputable and build some bada$$ stuff. Im probably looking in the mid $600 range, but it will be strong and hopefully get the most out of my motor.

Sounds like a plan. Hopefully they'll find the snout was cockeyed. That's sure a lot easier to fix than engine to trans. misalignment.

-
Back