Weird Starter Issue

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Just started having an odd starter issue. I just finished removing the QFT fuel injection system and replacing it with FiTech. I don't think the starting issue has anything to do with the fuel injection swap, its just coincidence it started to happen at the same time.

Anyways I'll turn the Key and the starter will start cranking fine, then its like the starter doesn't have enough torque to turn the motor over and the engine will stop for a second on the compression stroke then crank again then stop on a compression stroke, etc. Sometime I can get it to start sometimes I can't. I thought it was the battery. The battery I had on there was an Optima red top going on 8 years old or so and I replaced it and it did the same thing the first time I tried to start it with the new battery. The starter I rebuilt, it was from a low mileage 1996 360 I got out of the Junkyard.

Every time I had a starter go bad it just clicks, never had it crank like that, so I'm not sure if it is the starter or not, so don't just want to throw money at it.

Just started having an odd starter issue. I just finished removing the QFT fuel injection system and replacing it with FiTech. I don't think the starting issue has anything to do with the fuel injection swap, its just coincidence it started to happen at the same time.

Anyways I'll turn the Key and the starter will start cranking fine, then its like the starter doesn't have enough torque to turn the motor over and the engine will stop for a second on the compression stroke then crank again then stop on a compression stroke, etc. Sometime I can get it to start sometimes I can't. I thought it was the battery. The battery I had on there was an Optima red top going on 8 years old or so and I replaced it and it did the same thing the first time I tried to start it with the new battery. The starter I rebuilt, it was from a low mileage 1996 360 I got out of the Junkyard.

Every time I had a starter go bad it just clicks, never had it crank like that, so I'm not sure if it is the starter or not, so don't just want to throw money at it.
Seen this before. Sometimes starters just get tired. Something happens to them, usually in the windings, that won't allow the electricity to flow right any more and as a result it can no longer produce enough torque to turn the motor. I've seen it bad enough where it would not turn a motor over at all but would free spin when it was tested out of vehicle.

Alright, thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get another starter.

Alright, thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get another starter.
Before you buy another starter, check all the electrical connections first to make sure they are still clean and tight. Seems maybe obvious but can be missed.

Sounds like the Fi Tech may have changed the timing requirement?? It shouldn't have, but symptoms point to too much advanced timing?? But it could also be the starter??

treblig

Sounds like the Fi Tech may have changed the timing requirement?? It shouldn't have, but symptoms point to too much advanced timing?? But it could also be the starter??

treblig
I didn't think of that but it's true. Engine could be firing too much ahead of the cycle and be pushing back against the starter.

I would certainly START with timing. A very quick way to find out is simply pull the coil wire and ground it!!

I would certainly START with timing. A very quick way to find out is simply pull the coil wire and ground it!!

What do you mean?

It's not the starter or the battery, all connections are good. Following the directions in the FiTech quick start guide, I set the initial timing at 10 degrees. I called tech support they said that to lower the timing I have to pull the distributor again and follow the procedure to set the initial timing at a lower amount, you can't just change it in the handheld for the base timing. So I'm going to try that.

I synced the distributor to the handheld following their procedure. If I can get it started it runs good. But its just getting it started. It will crank for a couple seconds then it will stop cranking, crank, stop, crank, stop and sometimes it will start while doing that.

Last edited:
What I mean is the EFI might be either set wrong, programmed wrong, or have some problem, and is allowing the timing way too far advanced and kicking back on the starter. A very quick way to find that out is to do as I said.......remove the coil wire and ground it. If the engine cranks right over, it's timing, and fuel in the cylinders is firing very early, "kicking" the piston

I agree likey too much advance when cranking, but it could also be fuel related.
Way too much fuel will lock an engine, can't compress gasoline. Try turning down crank fuel if there is a setting for that.

it sounds like you are using a big ol' OEM type starter -? if (and probably when) you do decide to get a new starter, get a good high torque mini

A voltmeter will indicate problem with battery voltage dipping, or battery cable drops. 10V at starter when cranking is often not enough.

-
Back