Weird throttle.... ummmm... thing.

-

Khyron

Token "B" Body
Reaction score
Interisting issue.... I was driving the ol girl around today and found a new issue <isn't that always the way>

When I've stopped, at a light or a sign, and gently push down on the gas. the pedle leaves my foot and the car launches, then the peddle comes back up.... it's kinda funny, until it squeals the tires in front of a cop... fortunatly he just gave me a thumbs up and kept driving :-s

It's a holly 670 street avenger carb... standard setup, anyone else ever have this problem?

I'm thinking of renaming the car Christine2 and just dealing with it ;) I'm also going to post up on D-C.com and see if they heard of it.

happened to me buddy... give it a little gas and it pulls hard... broken motor mount... allows the engine to torque over so much that it pulls the throttle cable and opens up the carb.... then as it accelerates the engine slowly returns and the carb closes.... i would suggest a new driver side motor mount and a torque strap... i went to solid mounts on mine and i like :salute:

Whoah! I never thought about that. I'll give it a look when I get home.

God I hope it's the mount and not the block :worrys:

Welp. thats the problem, after comming home I looked at the drivers side motor mount, it's fubar, it's almost an inch back from it's seat :shock:

welp. I guess I know what i'll be buying. Motor mounts and a torque strap / bar

I'm kinda upset the motor mount broke. it WAS new
I'm kinda happy I made a motor that could break the Motor mount too ;)

My first car was a 66 Newport with a 383. It was a motor mount killer. Of course the 2.76 gears and a 16 yr. old lead foot didn't help any.

quick question.

The part that broke if the bottem part that attached to the K member, so here is the question.

I called the local napa and they have some.

One for a /6 the other for a 383.... My motor is a 73 360. Will any of those work in a pinch?

Khyron said:
quick question.

One for a /6 the other for a 383.... My motor is a 73 360. Will any of those work in a pinch?

I'll stick my neck out and say the pad type mount from either a small block or big block will work. The 6 cylinder mount might be a spool, which is a totally different animal. Schumacher makes a nice engine torque arm, but at $69.00 ( plus shipping...) it's a bit pricey for what it.
But then again, put a price on the wild ride you could have had if the engine torqued over and gassed it! :shock:

Had that happen to me. I replaced the mount and made a torque "Chain". Got some chain from the hardware store bolted it to the battrey cable ground bolt on the cylinder head to the K-frame( drilled a hole in the front pinch weld ). Give it about half a link of slack,cover it with heat resistant plastic,and your good to go.works good.
Dave

thanks for the information. The torque strap will be made / bought, going to a hardware store to get some idea's. but i'll buy the motor mount today at lunch.

-
Back