Weird tips and tricks

-
to get the fiberglass hood off my car by myself, I put a piece of stiff cardboard between the hood pin and the underside of the hood on each pin - basically block off the pin holes in the hood with cardboard from underneath, once it is off of each pin it's just a matter of getting under the hood at a good balance point and setting it on the roof of the car - which is covered with an old moving blanket..

they are definetly a pain in the ***, but when you`ve had a broken neck, they are almost mandatory. I glue foam rubber to the bottom of the hood running for and aft. keeps it from scratching the top.

here's one - got something to remove that a socket won't reach or fit into AND you can't get enough leverage with a wrench.. slip another wrench over the end.. shazam.. a breaker bar so to speak.. works like a charm

Attachments

• 100_3626.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 727
here's one - got something to remove that a socket won't reach or fit into AND you can't get enough leverage with a wrench.. slip another wrench over the end.. shazam.. a breaker bar so to speak.. works like a charm

I usually flip that around and put the box end on the fastener and use the breaker bar wrench box end to lock into the open end. Just depends on what you are working on

Attachments

• 1452446597250-1552496809.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 639
Always tighten bleeder screws first, then break them loose. Super Clean is some good cleaner

McDonald's french fries take the grease off your fingers better than anything else.

Put a rotating lawn sprinkler under your offroad beast to get the mud off. Park on the lawn and water it at the same time. If you're not too particular about your lawn.

Blizzard related Cooking spray on shovels, snow blowers and satellite dishes.

replacing the rubber bushings/shackes, in the rear portion of the rear springs..67 belvedere. springs and axle still in the car we know they can be tough to get in, AFTER I cleaned them out with a rat tale file, sandpaper, ...one spring did not want to accept them! cut 2 pieces of flat stock, 1/4 in thick, torch blew 2 holes in each plate where I could place 2 5/16 bolts , bolts 6 in long, get the bushings started, and shackle started, and pulled them in.

I had replaced the rear portion of frame rail, and probably the angle was off a few degrees, making the shackle hard to go in, plus frame and trunk extension in the way!! ha

Having a hard time getting a brake flare nut loose?

Keep a couple of cheap birthday candles around. Drip some wax in the flare around the brake pipe and then the thread of the nut. It'll come loose.

when installing new brake lines or new brake lines that you have made,tighten lightly and then back off, going a little farther each time to gradually form a perfect fit.

Having a hard time getting a brake flare nut loose?

Keep a couple of cheap birthday candles around. Drip some wax in the flare around the brake pipe and then the thread of the nut. It'll come loose.

That's great!

wd40 all on the quarters makes rubber from tires doing burn outs easy to clean off

Here is a snow related one for the house. Put snow melt (not salt) in a stocking and tie it closed and throw it on the roof, it helps keep the gutters flowing and not ice up.

If it's been a while because your wife thinks you're "Japanese" :), and your out of whiskey, chloroform will.........oops......wait, wrong type of trick!

Carry on

Tired of stripping wheel well moulding screws?

Small vice grips, one side on screwhead on trim, other side on screwpoint backside of trim.
Medium lock pressure, wiggle slightly forward/backward to feel movement.

Remove , good to go, never fails.

Rain-X or Pam used for cooking pans on the front of your car. Bugs wash right off.

wd40 all on the quarters makes rubber from tires doing burn outs easy to clean off

WD40 is also good for getting tar off your car. Works better than the supposed "bug and tar removers" and is cheaper, with more uses.

Spray a little WD on the tar spots and walk away. Then warm water and soap as normal.

Doing a trans service on your car?

1.) Take the cooler lines off and run them to a bucket.

2.)Crank the car. The pump will empty the trans in to the bucket. Only take about 30 seconds.

3.) Refill. Run like you would with a service.

Repeat steps one and two.

4.) Drop your pan, change your filter, make your band adjustments.

5.) Refill.

This pumps all the oil out of the converter, too, meaning you're not leaving oil the old fluid in the converter and just changing four or five quarts. You're also not taking a bath in transmission fluid if your pan doesn't have a drain plug.

Works, well, too, if you're going to R&R or R&O a transmission. You won't have anywhere near as much transmission fluid to have to deal with when you get it up on the bench.

If it's been a while because your wife thinks you're "Japanese" :), and your out of whiskey, chloroform will.........oops......wait, wrong type of trick!

Carry on

"Does this rag smell like chloroform to you???"

Sandpaper, 120 grit or finer has worked well for me getting over spray off of weather stripping. Use with light pressure.
Yote

After washing your hands three times and can't get fish or differential stink off. Use Downy fabric softener. Works great.

-
Back