Welders

-
Illinois tool Works did not buy the 250 amp and above Hobart welders that was sold to Thermal Arc this was so that they did not have a monopoly.

I had 3 different MIG machines in my shop. I sold all but one: Kept the Hobart Handler 210MVP. It's a little more expensive than the Handler 140, but has some great features/options. I use it with .024" wire for light sheetmetal work. On heavier stuff, I run .030" wire. The reason I kept this over the others? Well, the little Hobart just welded rings around the others. It does a nice job. I also have a Thermodynamics 180 TIG machine as well. Both machines run great.

I have used a bunch of different machines working in body shops. Hobarts, Millers, and Lincolns. My own machine is a Snap-on MM250, great machine but it doesn't like to push .023. For sheet metal work my choice is the Miller 140. Millermatic is easy to learn on for the newbie. Pay attention to duty cycle. Cheap machines have less of a duty cycle and is my biggest issue with the Hobart 135/140 machines. Frustrating when you're in a bigger job and the machine is falling on it's face. Recently used a Miller 211(?)and that was a really nice machine.

Still using my hand me down welder from my uncle to my dad to myself, Forney AC 230 volt built in 1941,has multiple taps doubled by high/low ground, definitely will fry the bacon. Other welders in the shop, but my newest is the TIG, a Miller Conversion 180.

I just picked this little gem up. I have a Miller 210 but had trouble using .023 wire.
20170926_205937.jpg

Having a strong power source is important!

See what you can power where you plan to use it. What amp breakers,how far away from the breaker panel,how much power cord, ie how long is your cord.

Knowing those things will help you decide. I had to upgrade all of the breakers I use for welding. 200 amp for my rig, aluminum really taxes the breakers!

20amp breakers for 110 welder and chop saw.

Use minimum of 12GA extension cord and use as short of a cord as possible.

100ft of 14ga cord doesn't work well.

I have a Holbert 140 if you cant weld with it, just give up.
I have used alot of great welders, but for hobby use it works fine.

I also have the yellow one. Its a mig tig and stick.
Havent tried tig yet, just got the pedal and trying to justify getting argon for it.
Esab rebel,wont run on 110 any distance away from panel. So had to use a generator, figured generator and welder were both yellow and made in china, maybe they will get along. I was right.
Sold my lincoln 130 when i got the esab, but still have my clarke made in italy.

The miller 211 is my favorite so far.

One thing to remember if you are going to run a 110 v welder on an extension cord is to buy a 10 gauge cord. You can run it off of one up to 100 ft without an issue on a 20 amp circuit provided that is the only thing being run off of it.

I watched a youtube video of a guy testing a 110 volt stick welder. Had over 300 feet of extension cords, ran it off his portable welder and had a guy welding at the same time.

Same guy different video demonstrated a cordless, yes battery powered welder.
I like his videos.

Theres a whack of videos, tool and welder reviews and tips.

Last edited:
I have a Hobart 140, It's great for sheet metal and stuff around My Dad's farm, but my "go to" garage welder is actually a 1990 Cebora 220v 160 A that I bought in my early 20's. That MIG 160 model is long discontinued, but it has served me well. I've done 3/8 plate with bevels and .035" wire. The downside, as mentioned, is there is only a couple of reps here, closest for the east coast is in Florida.

Thank you everyone who helped me out. I got a hobart 140 welder to start with and learn. I still need a welders helmet and gloves, but im not sure what else i would need to get started. Mind you im a beginner and i dont want to spend too much on this. What would you recommend as far as "necessary accessories"? I was just going to buy a cheap helmet and gloves from harbor freight unless there is an overwhelming reason why i shouldnt. Any other suggestions on this are welcomed!

Spend the money on a quality auto-darking hood, you cannot replace your vision, any leather gloves will work.
Also buy the bottle for the welder, it will make welding easier to learn.

buy plenty of wire and practice! im new to it to and trying to learn it to, wire gose quicker than you think or im doing it wrong!

Also put the large spool of wire on the Holbart 140, it will feed smother than the small spools.

Nozzle spray and a pair of wire cutters. Wouldn't hurt to have four and a half inch grinder laying around close either.

Spend the money on a quality auto-darking hood, you cannot replace your vision, any leather gloves will work.
Also buy the bottle for the welder, it will make welding easier to learn.

Any particular hood you recommend?

Any particular hood you recommend?

My helmet is from Harbor Freight item number 61611. It's got the one in 20000 seconds switching speed, auto darkening lens, solar power with battery assist, automatic power on and off with adjustable delay time, it's got a variable shade control and adjust from number 9 and number 13, with the resting shade of 4, uv/ir protection. anyway use 20 % coupon if you buy it I bought mine on sale.

I use a Miller 135xp.

I just read it is probably the same as a Hobart 140.

VERY happy with it, makes my welding very respectable!

Hobart auto-dark helmet with the big lens. Tig gloves make handling the torch easier. Reading glasses really help too.

I have a Miller 252, I weld from sheet metal to 3/8, I buy bigger than needed usually to make sure duty cycle is there. I prefer brand names usually means quality and part availability even consumables.

-
Back