Welding cables?

-

Craig Burriss

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently bought 2 multi-process Lincoln Idealarc DC600 welders from an auction. They didn’t come with the wire feeders or any cables. They were both wired in for 460V in a locomotive repair shop, using 2/0 cables. Since the wire feeders and factory replacement cables are so damn expensive, I’d like to at least be able to use one for some light duty (for it) stick welding. They’re honestly way too big for any of the projects I’d ever do, and I’ll only have them wired in at 240V.
Question, I have about 100’ of some nice 4AWG battery cable. How bad of an idea is it to make some welding cables out of it? About 20’ long?
2E404548-0261-458D-ABB7-2C91A10EC4E1.jpeg

Last edited:
I came into a BIG 220 stick welder, flipped it quick to a construction guy. Too big for what I was going to use it for. 460V! Locomotives are big heavy beasts.

Hey guys,
I recently bought 2 multi-process Lincoln Idealarc DC600 welders from an auction. They didn’t come with the wire feeders or any cables. They were both wired in for 460V in a locomotive repair shop, using 2/0 cables. Since the wire feeders and factory replacement cables are so damn expensive, I’d like to at least be able to use one for some light duty (for it) stick welding. They’re honestly way too big for any of the projects I’d ever do, and I’ll only have them wired in at 240V.
Question, I have about 100’ of some nice 4AWG battery cable. How bad of an idea is it to make some welding cables out of it? About 20’ long?
View attachment 1716021169
Are you sure you can even WIRE them for 240? Aren't they 3 phase? Do you have 3 phase power?

Usually, the bigger the machine at auction, the cheaper they are, lathes, mills, welding, etc. Not much use for a light duty occasional welding... I'm a true blue guy, but there's some nice chinese stuff out there, like yes welder, and some others, multi purpose machines. Flip what you have and buy an inverter machine you can pickup with one hand, and plug it into 120v house current if you want...

I would love to get detailed information on one or two of these old machines to see what the yelling is all about. It might be that it is not as bad as people think to convert to single phase. The internet, and particularly google, is no help at all Here is what I think

1...The control board/ controls are almost never 3 phase. They are normally operated off 1 of the three and often low voltage like 24V or so

2....The power supply is often 3 separate transformers, in a 3 phase lashup. Ignoring the fact that you need more amperage on a single phase line, you can wire all three in a single phase and that should work. If the main supply is actually a single 3 phase transformer, then you are sunk. Unless of course, you happen to be able to get a single phase transformer "cheap."

3...If the welder has any 3 phase motors, such as a cooling fan, then that/ they would have to be replaced by the appropriate component, either 120V or 240V AC

4....On that note be CAREFUL trying to haywire any 120V components into a 240V equipment. Years ago, some of these were (single phase) 2 wire (hot) + ground. 3 phase were 3 wire (hot) + ground. The ground is green/ safety/ GROUND and NOT neutral. Connecting a 120v fan to the case/ grounding conductor is NOT code nor is it safe. You need ---for single phase-- 2 hots + neutral + ground.

LOL!! Dead issue. Here is a manual

file:///home/delars/Downloads/idealarc_dc600_9773msp.pdf

Main transformer is a single 3 phase unit.. Very big, very expensive. THAT would be one big transformer.

LincTrans.jpg

Linctrans2.jpg

BUT..............I found this on Miller,

A more complete explanation

This so called improved software SUCKS

Last edited:
That's why this stuff is cheap on auctions. Physically they are big and heavy, power wise they will eat alive, and converting a tranny that size to single phase would be more expensive than buying a new single phase machine...

A little bit more, leaning towards Lincoln........

and just plain search

Usually, the bigger the machine at auction, the cheaper they are, lathes, mills, welding, etc. Not much use for a light duty occasional welding... I'm a true blue guy, but there's some nice chinese stuff out there, like yes welder, and some others, multi purpose machines. Flip what you have and buy an inverter machine you can pickup with one hand, and plug it into 120v house current if you want...
I just the other day talked to a guy whose has a iron working business for decades. Very well experienced
He told me he has a Miller (I think) 120 volt inverter machine that he can run 3/32 7018 wire with and it welds exceptionally well. He uses it on smaller jobs and he is able to take his smaller pickup rather than the bigger rig
Of course he's not welding 8 hours with that machine but for those smaller type jobs he says it can't be beat

I just the other day talked to a guy whose has a iron working business for decades. Very well experienced
He told me he has a Miller (I think) 120 volt inverter machine that he can run 3/32 7018 wire with and it welds exceptionally well. He uses it on smaller jobs and he is able to take his smaller pickup rather than the bigger rig
Of course he's not welding 8 hours with that machine but for those smaller type jobs he says it can't be beat
Yes, I have a Miller Maxstar 150, probably made me more money, other than my mig. 3/32 7018 rod, I prefer the Lincoln AC/DC version, a little easier to start. That will also run on 230 volt, and it's incredible what you can weld with. 1/8" rod, not a problem. @ 115v 70amps 100% duty, 230v 100amps 100%. Most pipe welding is under 100 amps... And I've welded better part of day with that, still going...

Yes, I have a Miller Maxstar 150, probably made me more money, other than my mig. 3/32 7018 rod, I prefer the Lincoln AC/DC version, a little easier to start. That will also run on 230 volt, and it's incredible what you can weld with. 1/8" rod, not a problem. @ 115v 70amps 100% duty, 230v 100amps 100%. Most pipe welding is under 100 amps... And I've welded better part of day with that, still going...
Im pretty well retired now, I have a Sa200 and a Miller XMT CV/CC machine plus two wire feeders. Everything else is sold. I bought a MIllermatic 211 MIG but I still want a stick machine, when I sell the other machines, that Maxstar may be just the ticket

-
Back