Welding helmet recommendation

-

Stepper

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a good welding helmet?

I know there's auto-darkened ones and models that are permanently dark.

I'm leaning towards the auto-darkening type, unless someone has a good argument against that.

I've researched them a bit, mostly on Summit and Amazon. But, I'm not certain which brands are good and which ones I should avoid.

So, does anyone recommend a particular brand and model?

Thanks y'all,

Auto darkening is the way to go. There are several choices with some being able to switch between a shade 10 or 11 and some that have a control knob that can switch it between a 9 up to a 13. Which ever one you get pick one that has solar cells for charging the lens. this way it will never quit because the battery dies. It sucks to find out the hard way you batteries are no good when it doesn't darken. I have had my Lincoln for about 7 years now and love it. It wasn't the cheapest but worth the money.

Northern Tool and Harbor Frt has a decent auto darkening for about $50 that works well especially with wire welder.

I would stay away from the Harbor Frieght brand ones (for that matter stay away from any thing electrical with the Harbor Frieght brand). My wife gave me one and it quite working in about 6 months and you can't get parts to fix it.

Don't buy a cheap piece of junk, there is a difference, look at msc direct, or Miller electric. How much are your eyes worth?

I have a Lincoln auto one and I like it. The only thing I would not use it for is tack welding since the auto darkening is fast but not that fast.

Since my good Jackson got stolen, I've been using a HF one. It works fine, Ive had it for about 3-4 years.

If you are doing the stuff for a living, spend the coin on a good big window helmet. I know some people don't like the auto darks when working outdoors. Sometimes they trigger and go dark, then lighten. Glare from a reflection will cause it.

If you are doing the stuff for a living, spend the coin on a good big window helmet. I know some people don't like the auto darks when working outdoors. Sometimes they trigger and go dark, then lighten. Glare from a reflection will cause it.[/QUOTE]

I was going to mention using the auto dark outside is sometimes a PITA, sometimes inside lights will screw with it but not as bad as the sun. I have an auto dark I bought at Tractor Supply...its a Hobart and I'm happy with it. When we weld outside we use an always dark helmet.

The Miller Elite is a very nice helmet. It has adjustable shade, delay and grind mode. A little pricy but it's a quality helmet, its light and comforable.

I use the harbor freight auto darkening unit. I bought extra lens cover (clear) plastics for a few bucks when I got the helmet, as they cover both the photocell and view window. So for a buck or three, you can have new clear sight when your existing gets shot to hell. Other than the dumb blue flames graphics on the helmet it is great and worked flawlessly for over 1 year so far. Adj darkness, adj response on the auto darkening. 50 bucks. I reckon if it survives 3 years it will be well worth the money. Generally I try to buy American when I can afford to, which is like half the time. I guess that means I am at harbor freight the other half the time.

Don't buy a cheap piece of junk, there is a difference, look at msc direct, or Miller electric. How much are your eyes worth?

Yeah what he said......I can barely see from welding with my crappy 50.00 auto darkening helmet. It darkens just as I stop welding.8)

My eyes........my crusty needle stabbed eyes.....ARGHHHHHHHH...yesterday sucked.

I'm re-investing in a better helmet tomorrow....even though I cant afford it.....I can't afford to be blind. I have a long way to go on my wifes vert and I wanna sleep at night.:-D

Mop

I have a Jackson,ajustable tint 8-13,speed and sensitivity to light, so you can weld under a car with a trouble light. A little spendy but well worth it.

Once again, FABO members come through. Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Harbor Freight now has the auto-darkening helmet on sale with flier coupon for $39.99.

-
Back