Welding Helmets

-
I have an auto darkening helmet and it's great! My problem is that I can't seem to run a straight bead unless I'm like 6 inches away. Just can't see well enough when I'm further away

I have an auto darkening helmet and it's great! My problem is that I can't seem to run a straight bead unless I'm like 6 inches away. Just can't see well enough when I'm further away

is this a light or focus issue?

O.k. Serious question from a fairly new welder. I love my welding helmet and have zero problems seeing what I am welding and the auto darkening seems to me to be instant. I have never felt like my eyes are being "flashed" and after welding for several hours at a time never feel like my eyes are bothered at all. I have an Eastwood helmet thats about a year old. That being said, I like my vision. Is there really an issue with my helmet that I am unaware of? Am I really slowly blinding myself with my $70 helmet? I ask because I like mine and have zero problems with it but if the tradeoff is burning my eyes up I will go drop a few hundred dollars on a helmet.

If I am welding in a poorly lit area with my torch....I try to keep a light nearby to assist with finding the start point…..the modern LEDs are rugged enough for this, provide plenty of light. I also utilize appropriate dioptric lenses in my goggles...

what are the specs on your 70.00 helmet....speed is important...proper shade is important also and depending on the current/metal a delay time is important....read up on a OSHA website regarding welding helmet requirements...good read attached to assist you...plenty of white papers on the internet, OSHA also has a good amount of minimum and recommended requirements. You should not be welding at all without some background in safety...and use of PPE

How to Test an Auto Darkening Welding Helmet in 8 Easy Steps?

Last edited:
what are the specs on your 70.00 helmet....speed is important...proper shade is important also and depending on the current/metal a delay time is important....read up on a OSHA website regarding welding helmet requirements...good read attached to assist you...plenty of white papers on the internet, OSHA also has a good amount of minimum and recommended requirements. You should not be welding at all without some background in safety...and use of PPE

How to Test an Auto Darkening Welding Helmet in 8 Easy Steps?

Eastwood Large View Auto Darkening Welding Helmet - L6700

This is the one I have.

you should do well with the helmet..it has good specs listed.....the range is selectable hi and low...you may need to select to low if grinding but with welding you should be on hi range...your number depends on again, current and material...attached is the OSHA tact sheet and types of welding and current chart for recommended minimum eye protection...of course if you can go darker and still see do so...if you cannot see at the minimum...you need to find an added method of lighting your work area to assist your visual requirements...

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHAfactsheet-eyeprotection-during-welding.pdf

you should do well with the helmet..it has good specs listed.....the range is selectable hi and low...you may need to select to low if grinding but with welding you should be on hi range...your number depends on again, current and material...attached is the OSHA tact sheet and types of welding and current chart for recommended minimum eye protection...of course if you can go darker and still see do so...if you cannot see at the minimum...you need to find an added method of lighting your work area to assist your visual requirements...

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHAfactsheet-eyeprotection-during-welding.pdf

Cool, thank you for the info.

Steck mig light.
Haven't tried it yet.

My issue is light coming in from behind.
Found a leather hood type that solves that problem with a good lense assembly.
Just had to add foam padding for better fit with glasses on.

100_3606.jpeg

I got a Huntsman back in the 80's.
I still use it.
I just looked and it looks like they're cheaper now than what I paid back then.

20190812_150638_zpssh0h5vfi.jpg

20190812_150638_zpssh0h5vfi.jpg

20190812_150625_zpsn7itfuaf.jpg

20190812_150625_zpsn7itfuaf.jpg

Not sure why the front pic wont come up bet you can see it in my other post.

Miller, Digital infinity.

Its the ****!!

I have used the HF hood that someone left at my shop and its not bad for the price but dont think for a second you can compare the two.....

-
Back