welding jacket

-

mjs69gts

Reaction score
i have a hobart mig welder and im need of a jacket what should i get just started getting into welding with gas

Long sleeve shirt and good welding gloves is all I use. Good helmet also.

Long sleeve shirt that catches fire now and then, but those shirts are bought cheap at the local salvation army so i don't care what happens to them.

Gloves? dont touch it ... its hot :)

Other option i use is coveralls ... or even a shop coat.

if you get sunburn easily wear long sleeves but other wise dont sweat it... DO NOT CHEAP OUT AND BUY A CHEAP HELMET!!!! they have slow reaction times and will burn out your eyes... get a good miller/lincoln, or radnor

I know this is an old post but thinking of looking for a new welding jacket. I see some of you think jacket is not important. With gas or mig may get by without a jacket but tig will burn the crap out of you. View attachment tig burn 001 (477x640) (2).jpg I do have a Hobart jacket that I use for tig but found when you crawl under a car a mig weld I need more. The jacket is heavy duty cotton but if a piece of hot metal falls on you it will burn through it. I got the burns on my belly to prove it. :wack: Any body use leather or can suggest something better than what I have? I know don't lay under it but when you old and blind you have to get close.

I use a GOOD leather welding jacket year round yea in the summer wearing a 10-15 lbs leather jacket gets hot as hell but the bad flash burn you get is worse. It's your body but when your eyes feel like you have sand in them for a week or you go out and the sun and your arms feel like there on fire. You will change your mind about the good jacket good welding gloves and good helmet thing. You did ask didn't you

I usually rock the half leathers(take regular welding jacking then hack off the bottom part,couple inches below the armpit), but for at home work on a lil buzz box I usually just use a long sleeve or hoodie. Just be careful of synthetics because they can catch fire or just melt to your skin.Auto darkening won't make you a better welder, but welding in tight spaces with one really helps( was mini-tubing and had to do some tack on the inside, now that was a ***** and half), and for sheetmetal , like a long weld that has to be tacked bit by bit( flipping the stupid helmet up gets old after a while).Nothing wrong with regular cover-alls except for the odd random fire from trapped slag.If you can afford em look for fire resistant cover-alls. They still burn, but at least they don't smolder and re-ignite.

I usally buy ARMOREX ,BULWARK, FLAME RESISTANT work close at some of the flea markets or there are guys that sell them on Ebay cheap. Also just a FYI don't weld in sneakers or boots that lace up! Have few holes in my socks from doing that

Also just a FYI don't weld in sneakers or boots that lace up! Have few holes in my socks from doing that

Ya, a lot of laces these days are made of synthetic materials like nylon and if you don't get burned you cold find your foot held captive by a melted blob on the top of your shoe!!! Don't ask me how I know about that.....but careful work with a diagonal cutting plier will eventually set your foot free.....

I wear a very light welding smock with long sleeves , nomex socks to the elbow and light weight gloves with leather on back of the fingers. You don't want to be HOT while you are trying to weld. Also, you can get outer lenses for the helmet that are like reading glasses (1.25 , 1.50 etc) if needed and try to put some kind of anti fog on the inside.

Look up Tillman at JTillman.com.....pick a good leather jacket or green flame resistant cotton jacket.....web site should tell you where to buy

-
Back