Well CRAP, should have left it alone.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Last evening I dumped my coolant and did a minor flush on the system put a 1/2 cup of dishwasher detergent in it and ran it to temp. then dumped that and rinsed the system 3 times and filled the thing with 50/50 vinegar and water, ran it till it was well circulated and shut it down for the night.
This morning I took it out and ran it to get everything moving, then brought it home and dumped it and it was pretty yucky looking.
I rinsed it 3 more times filling it, running to temp and then drain again and filled it with Water Wetter and distilled water.
Got it all done and ran it till the electric fan came on and everything is fine and done.

One problem though.
The damn fan won't shut off now when it gets cooled down, and just runs till you take the fuse out of the line.
Hopefully the thermostat controller just got wet from rinsing everything off.
I did turn the thermostatic controller all the way down and tap it and the relay both with a screwdriver handle a couple of times just in case but no go. (or no stop actually) :D
I'll let it sit for a couple of hours and see what happens, but if that doesn't do it I'll have to pull the controller and open it up to see what the heck stuck and why.

Last edited:
... what was the issue?

Apparently the controller just got wet.
It's mounted behind the radiator support so it doesn't normally get wet even in heavy rain.
I pulled it and brought in in the house, submerged the sensor in a pan of water on the stove and made it cycle on and off a few times while watching it with a thermometer and a ohm meter and it acted completely normal, so I guess everything is fine.
It's all back together now.

so whatcha ganna screw with next there Greg ? LOL

Not one friggin thing Lance, Duh:D

I don't know, as there really isn't anything I feel like doing besides driving it and there ain't anything going on and nowhere interesting to go.

Fiddlin dont pay! The 273 was running hot, so I swapped the 4 blade out for 7 blade and it sprung a leak, this was a month ago and its still apart.
We went uo to visit brother in law and asked why I didnt bring the cuda. He knew I'd been fiddlin....
Glad you got it fixed

Not one friggin thing Lance, Duh:D

I don't know, as there really isn't anything I feel like doing besides driving it and there ain't anything going on and nowhere interesting to go.

Lol, sounds like ya' need a "make work day", eh? Tire air rotation, refill blinker fluid, repack the muffler bearings, etc.

Or just kick back and hit the hammock!

Lol, sounds like ya' need a "make work day", eh? Tire air rotation, refill blinker fluid, repack the muffler bearings, etc.

Or just kick back and hit the hammock!

Actually I thought about going and changing the oil in the lawn mower to see if it was one of those days where everything I touch breaks before I touched the car again. :D

Water wetter? Why are you using a band aid?

Weirdest thing, every time I shut my engine off, the fan stops. I mean every time. :)

Water wetter? Why are you using a band aid?

I wanted to give the cooling system a good cleaning because since putting the Magnum in I have been seeing little chunks and flakes of crap in the coolant.
I found out that it is sealer of some sort probably from when the engine had the OEM cracked heads on it.
I put EQ's on it when I put it together, but apparently the sealer had coated the inside of the block and was coming loose here and there causing **** in the coolant.

First I drained all the antifreeze and filled with plain water and ran it to temp, and dumped it 3 times.
Then refilled it with water and dishwasher detergent and ran it for a bit to remove any oils from the metals.
Then after that I dumped that and rinsed with 3 refills and drains.
1 gallon of white vinegar and water run to full temp and then left to sit over night, then drained and rinsed after a quick warm up run in the morning.

ALL kinds of crap came loose that time and kind of floated it out and when I was rinsing it off the radiator and fan I got the controller all wet causing it to stick in the on position.

I put the Water Wetter in it for lube and anti corrosion purposes, because I knew darn well I was going to be flushing it all again, and didn't want just plain water in it until I did.

It wasn't because of a heat issue.

Actually I'm trying to talk myself into going out there and pull the hoses and back blow everything out with water and compressed air.
This has always worked the best by far.

I start by disconnecting both top and bottom radiator hoses from the motor.
Then I wrap the garden hose and air blower nozzle together in a wet rag and stick those in the bottom hose nice and solid and let the water run for about 10 seconds and hit the air so it blows the water backwards through the tanks and tubes.
I hit it 3-4 times letting the water fill a little then hit it with air again. (you want them to mix so the air accelerates the water)
Then I swap to the thermostat inlet with the stat out and do the same with the block.
The air builds pressure behind the water and accelerates it way beyond the speed it normally runs through the system and all kinds of junk comes blasting out of the the water pump lower hose connection..

Generally I'll do this both directions a couple of times but ALWAYS backwards first through the radiator to first push anything back out of the narrow tubes instead of farther into them. (same with the heater core)
Direction through the block isn't near as important, but I like doing it both ways a couple times.

Obviously you have to be a little mindful of the air pressure you hit the radiator with but the block gets a full on blast at 80-100 lbs.

The best thing I have seen on the market as far as coolant flush is Blue Devil. O'Reilly sells it.

The best thing I have seen on the market as far as coolant flush is Blue Devil. O'Reilly sells it.

Thanks for that, as I was considering something like that.

For some reason I don't get reply notifications sometimes, but sometimes do.
Didn't on this one.

-
Back