Well I won’t say I’m never going to buy another set of Speedmaster heads

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
But I will say that when I get them I will be opening up each box and checking them out immediately. I could go into a long story about this last set of heads I did for a customer but I’m not going to. I ordered over 200.00 worth of parts to finally get what I needed to repair them out of my pocket. I also had hours and I honestly couldn’t tell you how many hours in fixing them. It didn’t cost the customer a cent but my prices will be higher next year with a warning YOUR heads may be subject to higher costs if Speedmaster forgets a couple steps to check their product out. I called them once and explained things and three emails with zero return effort. It would take me half the time to repair their mess next time as I know what to order being they Dont offer repair parts. Thank God I had a patient customer. Now it’s time to work on my Duster.

I believe you are a good guy but why wasn't that explained to the owner at start? Just about any mechanical job I know of has some headroom for unforseen.................

But I will say that when I get them I will be opening up each box and checking them out immediately. I could go into a long story about this last set of heads I did for a customer but I’m not going to. I ordered over 200.00 worth of parts to finally get what I needed to repair them out of my pocket. I also had hours and I honestly couldn’t tell you how many hours in fixing them. It didn’t cost the customer a cent but my prices will be higher next year with a warning YOUR heads may be subject to higher costs if Speedmaster forgets a couple steps to check their product out. I called them once and explained things and three emails with zero return effort. It would take me half the time to repair their mess next time as I know what to order being they Dont offer repair parts. Thank God I had a patient customer. Now it’s time to work on my Duster.
As an owner of SM heads, and the fact that I may order again from them, I'd like to know what they forgot.

I believe you are a good guy but why wasn't that explained to the owner at start? Just about any mechanical job I know of has some headroom for unforseen.................

Why wasn’t what explained. That the chambers that I usually Dont have to touch on a Speedmaster head was unmachined. Or when I went to do the final valve job I found the intake valve guide to be .0025 to big. Their guides are usually fitted better than Edelbrock heads. It cost my customer a little time (on a set of heads I did past my race season cut off date) it cost me out of pocket money for work I do pretty cheap compared to others. Head porters learn daily just like others.

As an owner of SM heads, and the fact that I may order again from them, I'd like to know what they forgot.

I started to explain it in an earlier post that was trampled on by some site jokesters. I put a lot of time posting tech but won’t be waisting my time for awhile. Why bother we can talk about whatever they want to teach us.

I appreciate your posts on the cylinder heads work you do. Don’t let the idiots get you down.

Ir would be appreciated in the mods would take the sidetrack BS more seriously. They seem to not care about the antics of some fools on here.

I appreciate your posts on the cylinder heads work you do. Don’t let the idiots get you down.

Ir would be appreciated in the mods would take the sidetrack BS more seriously. They seem to not care about the antics of some fools on here.

Nope it’s getting bad and they are running the tech posts off here. It will be another Moparts if it keeps up.

Sad. Got some real content and it been squashed.

im tired of guys arguing about oil pressure and pertronix.

Because he didn't know until he went to machine the chambers.

I too think that your tech post are an asset here.

Tech posts by anyone need interaction with others. Whether it’s questions, input, or a second or third opinion. It’s like the Bible. If ten people read it you can explain it 12 different ways. I try to add LOTS of pictures to my posts as it’s easier to see something as you read what’s going on. Last week when I was sick I spent 3 hours deleting pictures of things I’ve shared and pictures I’ve sent to customers. My phone feels lighter now. Lol

Tech posts by anyone need interaction with others. Whether it’s questions, input, or a second or third opinion. It’s like the Bible. If ten people read it you can explain it 12 different ways. I try to add LOTS of pictures to my posts as it’s easier to see something as you read what’s going on. Last week when I was sick I spent 3 hours deleting pictures of things I’ve shared and pictures I’ve sent to customers. My phone feels lighter now. Lol
I really like your contributions to this site. Even the Walmart stuff. Lol. I wish you would continue as you were.

Come on John, at least keep sharing your recipes. If you don't I will likely starve.
You don't want that, do you?

F**k em' John. Ignore them one at at time as they show up................Why should the rest of us lose out?

I shipped mine direct to PRH. I can't remember the details now however it was money well spent. He also did some minor bowl blending and though I am happy knowing that part of the engine is good to if I did it over again I would have spent money on Trickflows. But even then those would have went to PRH to get his seal of approval.... Aftermarket parts-that's just the way it is....

JW

I shipped mine direct to PRH. I can't remember the details now however it was money well spent. He also did some minor bowl blending and though I am happy knowing that part of the engine is good to if I did it over again I would have spent money on Trickflows. But even then those would have went to PRH to get his seal of approval.... Aftermarket parts-that's just the way it is....

JW

Keep in mind I recently found a couple bad ports on my small block TrickFlow heads. Cnc doesn’t mean perfect.

I purchased a set of Speemaster Cnc heads Black Friday 2022.
Cancelled the order about a week ago because they still can’t ship them.

The machine shop moved and was having issues starting back up I was being told. I called every few weeks trying to pressure them.
Glad I canceled the order.

Bought a set of Indy heads here from a member.
Should be Much better and not a whole lot more then what the SM were costing.

I purchased a set of Speemaster Cnc heads Black Friday 2022.
Cancelled the order about a week ago because they still can’t ship them.

The machine shop moved and was having issues starting back up I was being told. I called every few weeks trying to pressure them.
Glad I canceled the order.

Bought a set of Indy heads here from a member.
Should be Much better and not a whole lot more then what the SM were costing.

You can’t go wrong stepping up to an Indy head.

I saw a pallet full of cast iron speedmaster heads at my machinists place getting "salvaged" for reselling if he could manage to fix them. Gave me one that was beyond repair to play with.

why post about what you're not going to post?

you have a promising lede, then you tease out a small amount of the subject matter just to close the door.

your technical content is top notch and information is helpful to all

I appreciate all your technical posts, John. The good cooking ones as well.

If you never post a Wal-mart thread again, I won't shed a tear though. ;-)

why post about what you're not going to post?

you have a promising lede, then you tease out a small amount of the subject matter just to close the door.

your technical content is top notch and information is helpful to all

If you read the this post with an open mind the issues I found are there. On the post that got rapidly misdirected I was going to go into every detail of what I found, parts needed to fix it, and procedures to fix it. But when you take your time to give out this info and in the first few posts it turns into a trainwreck it’s no longer worth it.

If you read the this post with an open mind the issues I found are there. On the post that got rapidly misdirected I was going to go into every detail of what I found, parts needed to fix it, and procedures to fix it. But when you take your time to give out this info and in the first few posts it turns into a trainwreck it’s no longer worth it.
i did and do read with an open mind. the tone of my post would even suggest that, but we don't need go there.

at any rate, the information that you initially presented came off as obtuse. there was the "who" but none of the "what" or "why". that had to come later at the prompting of other posts.

we'd all love for the play by play and certainly value to the technical information. but i can understand if you don't feel it's worth your time.

-
Back