Well, I've joined the 'Old truck from the 40s' Club

-
so how is it coming?, have you had a chance to work on it any more?, and I agree I really like the look, here is a poor picture of mine, I will post a better later, I am hoping to spend some more time on it this winter, it is sitting on a 81 Dodge truck frame, in retrospect I should have used a Dakota frame, but I am working with what I got, BTW how are your rear springs I have a near perfect set from my 56 before I switched frames, although they have different rear hangers I made to lower it, you wouldn't have to use them or you could if you decided to drop it a little

Attachments

• 56 pic 5.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 119
Truck looks good Ed. I just sold a big block 727 to a guy from Port Alberni last night that said he has 5 or 6 Dodge pickups, all around '55 - '58.
I'll check out the rear springs a little closer and let you know. The only upgrade I think I may do is see if I can upgrade to front discs. I have a set of single piston A body discs, so I'm hoping to use those. A mod someone told me about is using an S10 5 speed behind the flathead, but I like the 3 on the tree so I'm sticking with it.
As for working on it, it's been slow but I'm getting things done. I pulled the horns apart, went through them and got them working again. Figured out what the hood bolts to above the rad, and bolted up the hood support rods. I painted the heater, bench tested it, and reinstalled it under the dash.
Like I said, slow, but getting there.

I've been concentrating on replacing the entire wiring harness. I've decided to stay with the original 6 volt system, but it's all pretty simple. Luckily my service manual has a wiring diagram that lists the spec'd sizes.

Attachments

• IMG_20151021_211216.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20151021_211248.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20151021_211256.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 89
All done the rewire. I rebuilt the master cylinder and am currently screwing around with the pedals and linkage. I had to weld a plate onto the rod for the foot starter as the two didn't connect very well.
My truck came without the turn signals option, but I'm going to install them for safety reasons.

-
Back