Well my day got better...

-

Cuprum-74

Moparus Fanaticus
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I noticed the fluid the was little dark when I checked it.

So I pulled the pan off and found this...

10931603_10204956152057258_1439825390348601633_o.jpg

10497344_10204956152577271_718586791834774009_o.jpg

10931695_10204956152857278_2867401994086080772_o.jpg

This is barely over a year after a shop rebuild it...

If I had to guess just by looking, I'd say they did a crappy job. Not long ago I told one dealer they had fifteen acres of techs and not a mechanic in the bunch. They didn't even argue.

Is the transmission doing or not doing something? Some debris is perfectly normal. Everything has to "find a home" so to speak when one is built. I would be more concerned with what's on the magnet, although that could be normal too. If the transmission is doing nothing abnormal, clean it up, change the fluid and keep on truckin.

Was the transmission cooler flushed and the torque converter replaced or flushed when the trans was rebuilt? If not a lot of that crap is from when it originally smoked.

Is the transmission doing or not doing something? Some debris is perfectly normal. Everything has to "find a home" so to speak when one is built. I would be more concerned with what's on the magnet, although that could be normal too. If the transmission is doing nothing abnormal, clean it up, change the fluid and keep on truckin.

Well I was cruising down the freeway at about 65 mph when suddenly I heard a slight growling noise from the drivetrain. I got off the freeway and noticed the part throttle response was a little sluggish. That's when I checked the transmission fluid... Funny how fast the fluid went dark as it was a nice red color a month ago.
And oh yeah the filter was clogged up with debris as well.

That could be from the current converter blowing up even if it did get flushed before.
But the growling could be a planetary set, a pump eating itself or the converter.
I think the fluid would be darker if it was a clutchpack, but then a clutchpack can also cause a shudder/vibration when it slips as well.

Thinking out loud, but it's toast for sure.
I have seen transmissions that were never serviced have that much metal, but the chunks of metal a sign of disaster.

Those are the ones you have to rinse and clean really well when it gets rebuilt, so you get all those bits out or they can end up causing the same thing all over again.

Oh, and definitly the lines also.

Well, it looks like I might be doing the manual trans swap earlier than planned if the trip to the transmission shop doesn't go well. It should though because I'm sending it back to the guy who rebuilt it and say WTF happened? I only drove the thing for 8 months.
I did find an ad for a rebuilt A250 3 spd only 15 miles away for 600 bucks. How are these transmissions? Will they hold up to a moderately modded 360? He also has an A903 for sale as well.

those tiny pieces look like aluminum. I'm wondering if a plantery is eating itself due to too tight of endplay. 8 months, even a basic shop warranty of 12/12 should cover this issue. There's a good amount of sludge on the magnet, for only being 8 months, but how many miles?
What did they filter look like? was it pink, gray, brown or almost black

those tiny pieces look like aluminum. I'm wondering if a plantery is eating itself due to too tight of endplay. 8 months, even a basic shop warranty of 12/12 should cover this issue. There's a good amount of sludge on the magnet, for only being 8 months, but how many miles?

Busted up converter fins look just like that.

Trans was rebuilt little over a year ago but been on the road for little over 8 months to be exact...
Filter was a dark gray color almost black.

If the converter is gone, there is only one part the aluminum could come from, the stator.
All other metal in a converter is steel,

Kind like saying it's only the air that's missing from the planet, but the rest is still there. :)

Well to give you guys an update, I took the transmission to the shop finally, he should be done with it today. Tom, from Family Transmissions here in North Ogden, said the transmission was actually fine, it was the brand new torque converter that went out, so he is going to send an invoice to that shop. He even put in brand new bands and clutches (even though it wasn't needed).

well to give you guys an update, i took the transmission to the shop finally, he should be done with it today. Tom, from family transmissions here in north ogden, said the transmission was actually fine, it was the brand new torque converter that went out, so he is going to send an invoice to that shop. He even put in brand new bands and clutches (even though it wasn't needed).

nice!

The A903 is( IIRC) an unsynchronized low, and is very light duty, kinda like the A745.
The A230 should live behind a mild 340 OK. It seems to me that $600 is a bit much though, unless its a complete swap package, then its a pretty good deal.If its a partial, well then IDK.

Well, me and Tom worked out a good deal. He had the Torque converter guy pay for over half is invoice for parts and labor. I just had to pay for partial parts and labor. We worked out to a $400 bill($430 after tax). The other shop had to eat up almost $600.
He said he put in Kolene steels, red eagle clutches, raybestos high perf. rigid bands. He said he went all out since they are paying for most of it.

And he said, if its too much that he will accept $53.75 per month payments, no interest.

I asked him if it will survive behind an engine that is pushing nearly 400hp.
He said; "Oh yeah, heck it won't surprise me if it survives behind a 600hp 408 stroker with this new hardware, talk to me first if you're thinking about going this route and I'll give you a bigger trans cooling options."

He did give me this tidbit: "For god sakes, get rid of those linkages and use a lokar setup, that linkage worked okay for OE carbs but not aftermarket ones, because you still have over an 1/8 inch of slop in the linkage no matter how you adjust it.

Good call Trailbeast. Sucks a new converter has to take a crap on you like that, but it does happen.

-
Back