Well that was dumb...

-
I had a 74 Capri V6 2800 cc. I was pullling the motor with a cherry picker. I decided that the 13mm intake Bolt would work with the lift chain. I hiked the motor up far enough to roll the cherry Picker back. I was pulling from behond the Picker. The bolt broke and the Picker flew back, hitting me in the forehead knocking me out cold.

I rebuilt the slant 6 in my 72 Gold Duster.
I put a torque wrench on the balancer to make sure the crank wasnt binding. (Yes, very inexperienced, had already put the pan on.). Half a turn later, it locked up. I pulled the pan off and there was a can of Permatex gasket sealer locking the crank.
To add insult to injury, I got it together, took it for a ride. On the ride back to the shop the oil pressure started dropping and dropped to 0 just as pulled into the shop.
I had assumed that the bearings were standard.
I Did not realize that the maltese cross
With the the serial number meant that the crank was 10 under from the factory !!

i know we bought ours new, and i think we paid exactly 1K for it (4, 5 years ago)
you got to realize that this is a product sold on commission, so whoever tries to sell it to you will mark it way up before they even come in the door

i have no problem telling them to knock 400 dollars off or the conversation is over

if i remember correctly, what sold us on it is that one of the kids had spilled some slime on the carpet and i had not been able to get it out
by the time the rainbow guy came by, that stain was over a year old

he got about 95% of it out in a few minutes, that sold us on it
Ours was the 70's r2d2 chrome unit that would give you a good shock if you touched it. Static build up I guess? My stainless shop vac does the same thing

-
Back