Went for a ride today. Look at what I picked up

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
1974 Honda 750. Been sitting since 1987. Belonged to a fellow firefighter that passed away 12 years ago. 27,000 miles.

Elwoods 750 honda.jpg

I had the 550-4 in the same year and same color. I got it from the original owner for $550 LOL it came with a big Fairing and luggage rack that I never put them on. The original exhaust rusted-out and the owner had put a 4 into 1 on it with a kerker exhaust pipe. Sure sounded good...

I was talking to his wife this morning, who by the way is 92. She was telling me that her husband,Elwood, had broke his leg (not on the bike) in 1987 and she asked him to give up riding the bike, so he parked it in a shed and today is the first time it's seen light since that day.

Thought it was weird that her name was Ruth and was the same as my mom. Also Elwood had the same birthday as I April 7.

Last edited:
I had the 550-4 in the same year and same color. I got it from the original owner for $550 LOL it came with a big Fairing and luggage rack that I never put them on. The original exhaust rusted-out and the owner had put a 4 into 1 on it with a kerker exhaust pipe. Sure sounded good...
I remember back then they made a 350-4, 550-4, 750-4.

Had a 750 custom and darn near died on it.

I prefer more metal wrapped around me nowadays! Be careful!

Also forgot to mention, Another friend of mine and fellow retired firefighter, bought it brand new and sold it to Elwood around 1976.

I had a 1971 Honda 750K which wasn’t for sale in the US but the guy I bought if from shipped it from Japan when he was in the military. What made it different was the 300 kph speedometer and the 18,000 rpm tach and no fold up foot pegs so you couldn’t lay it over all the way but acceleration was crazy fast. I made a lot of money with that bike, but I starting dating my wife and she thought I would die riding it so I sold it and stopped riding on the street. I did road race bikes for 10 years with some friends after it was gone. Very nice bike enjoy it and be safe

Had one of those in the 80's. A real tough bike to ride. Not balanced for crap. IMO. Nice find. I wish I could find a 1980 Suzuki GS 650.
gs650gl.jpg

Yup. I had a 73 Honda 350/4, back in the day. Even though just a 350, it was crazy fast. It was the reason I gave up racing around on the public roads, the night I went diving into a 25 MPH corner doing a fair bit north of 90. I woke up to see my head was less than a foot from a telephone pole, and decided there were better ways to die. I considered my survival with nothing but a few holes in the seat of my britches to be a gift from the gods, and slowed down after that event...

Dad had a 71 Suzuki GT350/2 He took it camping and walloped the Yamaha 175's the guys brought, but it sure looked funny toolin on a bike with full chrome fenders and and rear blinkers! When you goosed it for longer than 5 seconds, the white smoke pouring out the pipes looked like you had JATO bottles down there.
1971_GT350_blue_450.jpg

Dad had a 71 Suzuki GT350/2 He took it camping and walloped the Yamaha 175's the guys brought, but it sure looked funny toolin on a bike with full chrome fenders and and rear blinkers! When you goosed it for longer than 5 seconds, the white smoke pouring out the pipes looked like you had JATO bottles down there.
View attachment 1715170988
My first father in law rode a 3 cylinder 500 2 stroke Suzuki everywhere. That thing must have had 100,00 miles. It was like a 1970 model.

Not sure what the plan is. It does have some rust, I imagine those will have to be replaced.

Had a 5504K 30 years ago, sucker was fast and never gave me a problem, got to remember I was 145 lbs !

Those old inline fours, any brand, are reaching collectible status these days!

I got a '79 GS550L in the garage. My first bike!

I had one of them I shipped back from Guam when I was in the Air Force. Drove that thing back and forth from where I lived in VA to Andrews AFB in MD (about 25 miles on the DC Beltway) Spring, Summer and Fall rain or shine, day or night and once in awhile even in the winter. Gave up riding after a disc went out and left me paralyzed on my right side! Yes I can walk but it ain’t pretty!

I won one of these (Honda CBX 1000) in 1983 because I had a bumper sticker from a local radio station on my 74 Satellite (they were giving stuff away if they saw a bumper sticker). At a Black Sabbath concert, no less. I rode dirt bikes and was 17 at the time and my mom wouldn't let me keep it. Used part of the money when we sold it to trade my 74 for a 72 Satellite and a 340 from a 68 Dart to put in it.
CBX.JPG

IIRC they also made a 1300 six.

I had a Kaw 440 LTD as my first bike.

Currently looking at either a 1200 sporty or maybe a 950 yamaha bolt

-
Back