Went racing last night!

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
Well, I ran the car tonight(75 Dart with 360). Best run before the head work and new pistons was 13.9 at 97.

Traction really sucked, 60' was in the 2.0-2.15 range. The only time it really hit hard (1.84 60') it ejected my stereo out of the dash like it was a cassette tape.
finger020.gif
LOL.

That was also my best run, 13.1 at 102mph 3480 lbs and 1/2 tank of 93 octane.
I think it is running out of fuel at about 5,700rpm's. I shifted at 5,600 and went through the traps at about 5,800 sputtering. I think I have reached the limit on the 600 holly and am pleased it took me so far. Next time I run I will pull the 750 edelbrock off of the 340 and see if I can pick up some top end.

you have that 360 moving down the track nice at almost 3500lbs. :tongue9:
what kind of tire's do use to get of the line?
nice run :thumbup:

Thanks Memike.

Micky Thompson street ET's. They are 235 60 15's only 9" wide but that's all I can fit under there until I can relocate the springs.
The springs are SS springs and I have both front segments clamped. Shocks are just cheap stockers so far.
Looks like I need to do some shopping.

Nothing better than a day at the track! Glad to see you cut almost a second off your time. Sorry to hear about your stereo, looks like inertia at work. The stereo didn't pop out, your car just accelerated faster than the stereo did! LOL!

340 Dart said:
Well, I ran the car tonight(75 Dart with 360). Best run before the head work and new pistons was 13.9 at 97.

Traction really sucked, 60' was in the 2.0-2.15 range. The only time it really hit hard (1.84 60') it ejected my stereo out of the dash like it was a cassette tape.
finger020.gif
LOL.

That was also my best run, 13.1 at 102mph 3480 lbs and 1/2 tank of 93 octane.
I think it is running out of fuel at about 5,700rpm's. I shifted at 5,600 and went through the traps at about 5,800 sputtering. I think I have reached the limit on the 600 holly and am pleased it took me so far. Next time I run I will pull the 750 edelbrock off of the 340 and see if I can pick up some top end.
Tell us what you have for fuel system (original, etc) as it sounds more like a fuel system starvation problem rather than a carb issue.
nearly 1 second - and more to come. :thumbup:

The fuel lines on the car are stock and the fuel pump is a HV Carter.
I had some valve seats replaced and had them do a mild port while they were there. The heads flowed [email protected] before and [email protected] after with stock valves.
Pistons were the KB 107's.

Here is the whole build.

360 .030 over
Holly 600 DP
Carter HV fuel pump
KB pistons
CR 9.8 to 1
Weiand x-cellerator intake
cam is sum 20-232-4 .480/.480 lift 280/280 duration
235X60 15's MT's 26" tall
2600 stall MP 175K
suregrip with 4.10's
cheetah manual valve body
shift kit
8 1/4 rear
904 tranny
ss springs
stock shocks
MP distributor with msd2 coil
J heads (stock valves) Mild port.
Dynomax headers with X pipe, 2 1/2" exhaust
magnaflow "wideopen" mufflers

My jets were front 70 back 80 with 35 squirters

Sounds like it leaned up on top end (not enough jet) or your ignition you are using in the car will not handle the rpm...are u still using mopar stock electronic box ?...If so, that could be the problem...Lee

Looks to me like you may be out of cam/head flow to perform very well over 5600 rpm. However very good performance out of that combo. BTW i hooked a similar tire at 1.55 60' times in just as heavy of car.

340 Dart said:
The fuel lines on the car are stock and the fuel pump is a HV Carter.
I had some valve seats replaced and had them do a mild port while they were there. The heads flowed [email protected] before and [email protected] after with stock valves.
Pistons were the KB 107's.

Here is the whole build.

360 .030 over
Holly 600 DP
Carter HV fuel pump
KB pistons
CR 9.8 to 1
Weiand x-cellerator intake
cam is sum 20-232-4 .480/.480 lift 280/280 duration
235X60 15's MT's 26" tall
2600 stall MP 175K
suregrip with 4.10's
cheetah manual valve body
shift kit
8 1/4 rear
904 tranny
ss springs
stock shocks
MP distributor with msd2 coil
J heads (stock valves) Mild port.
Dynomax headers with X pipe, 2 1/2" exhaust
magnaflow "wideopen" mufflers

My jets were front 70 back 80 with 35 squirters

I would start buy removing the old 5/16" gas line from tank to pump with its 7 - 90* bends and install a 3/8" line with virtually no bends (or at least long radiused ones). Add a pinion snubber with very little clearnace to floor board.

Good combo.

I still have an orange box and need to upgrade. Any suggestions?

I have a whole list of stuff I need to do, but will continue to enjoy the car while I do.

Some of this stuff has already been mentioned. 3/8 fuel line, 750 eddie, longer rear shocks, drag shocks for front, battery in trunk, spring relocator kit and a little taller and wider tire.

I would love to have a pinion snubber but cannot find one for a 8 1/4. Anybody have any ideas?

Go buy a Standard Ignition ECU. Car Quest Stores carry them. They dont take out timing over 3500 like the Orange box does. Or get the FBO one for more $$. How much fuel was in the tank during the runs?

I started the night with 1/2 tank.

Will the FBO work with my MP distributor?

A friends son has almost the identical combo in a Duster. Difference is 3:92's, .509 cam, 3/8 fuel line, Holley electic pump, and a 750 Holley 3310. His first time at the track was 12.70 down to 12.58 on his 3rd run.

340 Dart said:
I still have an orange box and need to upgrade. Any suggestions?

I run the orange box also but I put the entire componets in as mopar says to, I put the Accel super coil and the 1 ohm ballast resistor in and the spark and the rpms went from 5600 to 6800 before the built in limiter activated. The stock ballast resistor and coil is the limiting factor, it also states that do not use the race coil's with this setup. The MSD blaster 2 coil is a race coil. The ballast and the coil is what limits the rpms not the box.

So will their 5 piece kit solve some of my problems?http://www.4secondsflat.com/a688specs.html

I still plan on doing some of the other modifications. I am just not made of money and have to pick and choose.

So far I have:
Shocks
steal the 750 carb off my 340
get a better spark
bigger fuel line
move battery

At least the carb is free.:toothy7:

BTW i hooked a similar tire at 1.55 60' times in just as heavy of car.
How did you do it?

I did it with good shocks, S/S leaf springs, and slant 6 torsion bars. Shocks will be your biggest expense Use Qa1 r series front shocks for double adjustable characteristics, and stocker stars in rear. Also an adjustable pinion snubber works wonders here too. Sub frames should be tied together as well.

The Blaster 2 is a hotter than stock coil. But not near what i'd call "race". I've run it (with Mallory's recommendation) on everything from MSD6AL and Jacobs Energy Team boxes to MP orange and chrome boxes and stock sing point distributors over 7K with no failures or points burning. No "race" about it. It's a stock replacement deal by the company that designs it. I like it because it fits stock brackets..lol. I had trouble with an Accell when I was in High School. It was replaced with a Blaster 2 with years of success after the swap. Definately check you ballast too like BJR said.

-
Back