Went to get estimates on exhaust

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
and man,they charge alot!1 estimate was $530,one was $740,and im now thinking of just getting the Summit kit for my Duster.Now I have questions
Hows the fit?
How do the mufflers sound that come with the kit?
Is welding needed?
And is there any cutting or modifying?
Im thinking of just getting the 2.5 pipe
Any help would be great :cheers:

Yes, it's quite shocking, isn't it! The only guy in town who would do it quoted me $700, and he said at that price he would do it in his spare time (he originally wanted $800).
Welding is not necessary, but I chose to weld mine. I got blinded by T304 glitter, and went with the Pypes system. As someone on the board aptly put it, it's the stuff new curse words come from. I haven't used the Summit / Jegs kit, but my extensive research showed it was not bad at all to install. As for the included mufflers with that kit, they are SO cheap it's almost silly NOT to get them, if you aren't sure. At the time I checked, I think it was only $20.00 more for the pair. Then again, Thrush welded are pretty cheap, and people seem to love those.

There are several threads here with sound bites of different mufflers. I find FABO's implementation of the normally good vBulletin search feature to be infuriating, so good luck.

wow, out here where i am at, the local muffler shop wants 300.00 to do 2.5 header back, with generic mufflers

Go with TTI I use them on all my cars go on in a 1/2 hour look quality it's the best!
There are precious few things in my life that I wish I could go back in time and rectify. Using Pypes over a quality system is one of them. Now that it's on, I like it. But I think I have been emotionally scarred for life. If I was petty and vindictive, I would sue Pypes for pain and suffering. With the various quack lawsuits in the news, I might actually have a shot.

FWIW, I actually handmade my downpipes (used stock 318 manifolds) from assorted bends, and that was the easy part! In fact, I probably would have had an easier time fabing the entire exhaust from bends, and saved some money to boot. Not to mention my tailpipes might actually be straight. Sorry to be brand bashing. I just want to emphasize Pypes (while functional and handsome) are NOT for the novice or faint of heart.

LOL! Same deal here and then some!

OK, I went with the Jegs exhaust kit @ approx. $200 I think it was and they hooked right up to mu headers. Badda bing! BaBY! Mufflers included. A few bucks less without mufflers so you can get your own if you wish.

Now if you don't have headers, things change a bit. I do beileve tti has exhaust manifold kits at a reasonable price.

Last year I paid $345 at a muffler shop for new pipes and mufflers from the exhaust manifold to the rear bumper of my C-body Polara. The pipe was 2.5 inch and mandrel bent on location. Mufflers were Hemi mufflers...just what I wanted, quiet and deep mellow under normal driving and when I open up the secondaries they yell M O P A R! I got my choice of exhaust tips. All joints were welded as well as the hangars.
I got such a good price because I spent an hour talking about exhaust performance and racing back in the day. The guy was an old racer from the 1960s and loved old mopars.

Thanks!Yeah,I have headers,the cheap Hooker Competitions.I seriously looked everywhere in town ,and they all charge alot,even with cheap mufflers.I was even thinking maybe go with sidepipes to cut the costs,but anything would be better than just the purple hornies that are hanging off the headers.:angry7:
Anyone have side pipes that exit to the front of the rear wheel?I would even settle for that

sounds like the crack pipe is in use :angry7:............. 500 tops and thats with real flowmasters 350-400 with generics or turbos :read2:

Somebody be yoozin dat 3" aluminized for crack pipe. foe sho yo.

i dont know how it is in america but around here its the time that makes it expensive,building a real good fitting exhaust takes alot of time and people want it to look just right when they ask someone to do it for them.
but i have mostly done 304SS systems by cut and weld method and it gets expensive since it consumes alot of time

LOL! Same deal here and then some!

OK, I went with the Jegs exhaust kit @ approx. $200 I think it was and they hooked right up to mu headers. Badda bing! BaBY! Mufflers included. A few bucks less without mufflers so you can get your own if you wish.

Now if you don't have headers, things change a bit. I do beileve tti has exhaust manifold kits at a reasonable price.

Ditto on the quality and price from Summit.

I paid $470.00 at the local Custom Exhaust Shop in Raleigh. Mandrel bent welded all the way back with welded hangers, 2.5" pipe and Flowmasters and Chrome Welded tips.

I have been shopping around for exhaust too.
Locally, 2 1/2, manifolds back to the bumper with X pipe and magnaflows, not mandrell was 730$

I am going with TTI's kit of $579 then order a pair of magnaflows from summit.

I works out to be almost the same cost but I imagine the quality will be significantly better.

Out here in California prices about the same. Don't know what you are expecting from your exhaust, I am doing a restoration so will pass on these people- Accurate Exhaust. I think they are in Oregon.

I am doing a restoration so will pass on these people- Accurate Exhaust. I think they are in Oregon.

A resto job is a big difference compared to a header back system since a resto job needs to be just so...perfect.
The OE poster is not as I take it due to the idea he stated on as going to summit racing.

The Accurate place is pricey. Have you seen there stuff? Is it as the company's name implies?

Accurate Exhaust - have not seen their stuff. Would like to hear from those that have. I did talk to them on the phone. We disagreed somewhat on what size pipes my car ('68 cuda big block) should have, based on the original pieces I still had. While on the phone, he went to his warehouse and pulled down a NOS tailpipe that confirmed what he was telling me. This seemed to confirm his point that Chrysler used a variety of vendors which resulted in some differences . Anyway, I was impressed at their determination to be accurate. If you are doing a resto, their stuff looks good in the pictures, even the clamps and hangers.

sounds like the crack pipe is in use :angry7:............. 500 tops and thats with real flowmasters 350-400 with generics or turbos :read2:

agreed!!! i spent 400 for mine from exhaust manifolds back with turbos.

Didn't see if you had headers, if not TTI has head pipes that fit great. The exhaust systems are very nice and go in with minimal mod's. I got the 3" system and fir great.

I purchased my own mufflers and brought them to a guy here in Cocoa, FL who's one of the best for Muscle Car exhaust. He did an incredible job, even painted all his perfect welds. He ran a complete system with 2.25 pipe from front to back/ including mounting the exhaust tips. Paid him $280.00.

I put the Jegs kit on my Hooker Header equiped Dart Sport. One of the over-the-axle tubes is pretty tight, but I would sure buy it again. Less than $200 when I ordered mine few years ago.

Just got mine done this week.
Cost me $300.00 and I provided the pipes and mufflers.
Exhaust work cost a lot,especially if you want it done right.

Attachments

• 100_4218.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 307
  • 100_4234.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 332
  • 100_4238.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 100_4241.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 100_4249.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 100_4250.jpg