Went to the airport today

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
Dropped my friend off at the airport for his annual vacation to Hawaii (lucky f***er :finga:, its been nothing but gray sky and rain here), after I say my goodbyes I see an Army Staff Sergent opening his Laptop. I go over there to thank him for his service and see/read the note attached (on the back of screen/lid) that stated "Watch the video before you check in - I Love so very much" (I'm assuming it was written by wife because he had a ring on his finger). Well I started chatting with the guy while the video loaded up that he's susposed to be back July 1st and I say that I pray you and your whole unit come back safely. The video starts to play and this is what it was

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k39h_W0xv8s"]We'll Meet Again - Hayley Westenra & Fron Male Voice Choir (Alan Titchmarsh Show) - YouTube[/ame]

After watching the video with the guy (hopefully it will be a sunny day when he gets back), I flip out $20 and hand it to him. He looks at me question on his face and state get yourself a calling card and call the person that left the video for you, what you do/what you say is 100% up to you, but it's on me. He says Thank you sir, I Thank him again for his service and leave. Just thought I'd share part of my day with you guys and gals. Have a nice one! On a side note (no pun intended) she's a really good singer.

Awesome gesture on your part,and a great story !!! I pray for ALL that serve our Country with HONOR !!!

Thank you for that. I know I tend to lurk on here more than anything, but feel the need to say thank you for that. It chokes me up big time when people are that blatantly generous and thankful towards me and my brothers and sister's in arms for our service. It's defenitely a big reminder and motivator for what we do that we are much more fortunate to have then those that came before us.

So from another kind of SSgt (USAF), thank you too. If you're ever in the Delaware area, let me know. First beer's on me.

Thank you for that. I know I tend to lurk on here more than anything, but feel the need to say thank you for that. It chokes me up big time when people are that blatantly generous and thankful towards me and my brothers and sister's in arms for our service. It's defenitely a big reminder and motivator for what we do that we are much more fortunate to have then those that came before us.

So from another kind of SSgt (USAF), thank you too. If you're ever in the Delaware area, let me know. First beer's on me.

Thanks for the offer but I dont drink, you can buy me a coke and I'll buy you a beer.:salut:

Dropped my friend off at the airport for his annual vacation to Hawaii (lucky f***er :finga:, its been nothing but gray sky and rain here), after I say my goodbyes I see an Army Staff Sergent opening his Laptop. I go over there to thank him for his service and see/read the note attached (on the back of screen/lid) that stated "Watch the video before you check in - I Love so very much" (I'm assuming it was written by wife because he had a ring on his finger). Well I started chatting with the guy while the video loaded up that he's susposed to be back July 1st and I say that I pray you and your whole unit come back safely. The video starts to play and this is what it was

We'll Meet Again - Hayley Westenra & Fron Male Voice Choir (Alan Titchmarsh Show) - YouTube

After watching the video with the guy (hopefully it will be a sunny day when he gets back), I flip out $20 and hand it to him. He looks at me question on his face and state get yourself a calling card and call the person that left the video for you, what you do/what you say is 100% up to you, but it's on me. He says Thank you sir, I Thank him again for his service and leave. Just thought I'd share part of my day with you guys and gals. Have a nice one! On a side note (no pun intended) she's a really good singer.

Thank you. I wish there were more people out there willing to just say thank you when they see a Soldier/Airman/Sailor/Marine in uniform coming or going.

Sounds like a plan. Feel free to bring your cup holder... lol.
It's a great cup holder isn't!

Thank you. I wish there were more people out there willing to just say thank you when they see a Soldier/Airman/Sailor/Marine in uniform coming or going.
A lot of my friends are in the military and I come from a military family. Hopefully this June I get to apply for OTS (just have to wait till my braces come off).

Just an update, I ran into that same Staff Sergeant and his wife yesterday (surpised he remembered me) who gave me huge and thanked for the calling card which the husband only shook his head with a grin on his face. Found out he got back safe and sound beginning of September but is walking around with crutches because he broke his foot. From what he stated "it seems that I can go on mission after mission while take enemy fire and not get a single scratch; however, I cannot take a step, miss the next one and proceed to fall down the remaining six steps without breaking my foot." I asked him if that happened at home and he said "yes, I was home for all of 6 day 13 hours and ~22 minutes before I had to go to the ER to get checked out. That's got to be some kind of a record." So we said goodbye to each other, I thanked him for his service and flipped out another $20 and handed it to him. I started saying why don't yourself a calling....he stopped me right there by putting his hand up and a smile on his face he says I don't think I need a calling card this time but ill take her to the movies with this if that's okay with you. I state what you do with it is entirely up to you, but it's on me. We both laugh parting ways. Again just thought I'd update you guys on this. Respect sir, respect.:salute:

You my friend, are the type of person that always made my day by doing random acts of kindness for me when I was in uniform. Over the 22 years I served, I had several instances where someone would go out of their way to show their appreciation for my service. No matter how bad a day I was having, it always put a smile on my face. Thank you for your support! (USAF retired)

Both stories are very cool! Good on ya for your act of kindness, respect and generosity! Im not surprised that he remembered you.

That was really lucky running into the same Staff Sargeant again and meeting his wife. They won't ever forget you and what you did.

I missed this thread the first time it was out. Sure glad I saw it this time.
Got to say it's so heartwarming to see the kind gestures of appreciation to our servicemen and women who choose to protect our way of life. It's so different from the country's attitude when I was in (1970-76) at the end of the Viet Nam era.
Thank you to all for your selfless service and thank you to all who support them with your acts of kindness.

I always thank our servicemen and women when I see them. We were at Steak and Shake for lunch one day when a couple of service members came in and sat in the booth behind us.

When we were getting ready to leave their waitress brought their bill out and set it on the table, we grabbed it up, thanked them for their service and paid their lunch tab. They said you don't have to do that, upon which we responded, yes we do, it's the least we can do.

that was awesome of you. service members do appreciate people coming up to them...it does help..

I do my best to help these Men and Women out when I can. Be it flipping out a few bills, giving direction (taking them there if they don't know/new to the area). Hell I even worked on this TSgt (USAF) SUV for free simply because he didn't know what was wrong with it and it was his family's only mode of transportation and didn't know much about cars. Turned out that it needed 8 new spark plugs and an oil/filter change. Went to the auto parts store, picked out the correct parts and showed him how to do the work his self. I talked him through changing his oil and I changed the back 4 (most difficult to work on) showed him what to do on cylinders 3/4 and what to look for and watched (aided him only cylinder 1) change the last two. You guys should have seen the smile on this guys face when he turned the key and the SUV fired right up and ran oh so smooth. He tried to pay me, I refused, his wife said how about I make you something to eat instead. He wouldn't take no for an answer so I ate dinner there and the pie she hand made was OMG the best sweet potato pie I've ever tasted! What that cost me, a day and I made a new friend.

You sir are a good man, thanks you for the stories and what you have done to help our soliders feel good :glasses7:

-
Back