Went to the track last saturday

-

RyanUpdike70

Reaction score
I went to the track last saturday car ran like crap. I kept blowing the fan belt. So i took one off my dad 71 duster and use it. The best was a 824 with a 1.7 60 foot I no it is way faster the air temp was very hot high 80s low 90s. The car has a 440 10:5:1 compressin carb quick fuel 850 with a 2 inch spacer ported 906 heads mp509 cam, torker 2 intake msd 6al tti headers. The transmisson has a tci super race kit in it with a fairbanks 3500 stall. I runnin 456 gear with 29 13.50 hoosier quick time pro. I was told to put 410 in it and it would run better. Also my shifter was messed up and i fouled a couple plugs. The car was hookin pretty good. I got home took it off the trailer and it ran awesome i swear it yank the front wheels on the street lol. it feels like it is a 7 sec car. I was wondering what u guys think it would run?

You might have forgotten a spacer for you fan belt to be coming off?Check alignment of pulleys and belts.You haven,t mentioned what times you ran?My guess would be in the low 12,s for the 1/4 and high 7,s in the 1/8th.

How old is the eng ?? the reason i am asking is.

When i had my 340 build for my old dart it was fast but not as fast as it should be . first time out it ran 8.22 in the 1/8 i was heart broken by the time i sold it ( dum *** me) it was running 12.03 1/4 7.62 1/8 and i was running a dana 60 with 4.56 gears. it just take some time to loses up some. and some more seat time did help some..

You need to work on the tune because its slow, sorry to be blunt, but that combo should be a solid 7 sec. 1/8 & high 11s 1/4, unless your at a "high" alt. it needs attention, i ran a milder 440 combo then yours back in 1999 in Amarillo Tx., track was 3700ft., car ran 7.9s & 12.4s at 108, currect sea level was 11.6s. At present i'm running 8.0s with a wimpy *** SB in my 71 dart, all it has is 3.73s & a 2800 11" stall, to let you know how mild it is, the bottom end is bone stock & i shift at 5200 because its all done after that lol. So get to tuneing!!

this was the first time it has been to track since i finshed it. Aslo i was running 92 octane I was told by buddy of mine to drop acouple of jets and messed with the timing

I'd straighten out all the little problems you have right now,then go from there something is wrong..my little whimpy stock stroke 360 has been 11.70's..you should be in that neighborhood with a big block..

I agree with everyone. You have alot of LITTLE things to work out before you start changing BIG things!!!! As far as gearing,DONT CHANGE THEM!!! 4.56's with that tall of a tire is perfect. Just my .02 cents.

Can ya post some pics of your duster??

My 71 duster

my duster.jpg

I ran 4 5s in my duster with a 29 inch tall tire and that was the perfect set up for the track but the cam I was running was too small (5.09 hydralic). Whats your RPM at the end of the 1/4? mph?

The MP .509 is not a small cam, tons of guys have run in the 10s with that cam, get the shifter sorted out, work on the tune & it'll fly!! Theres 11.5/11.6s @ 115-116 in that car all day long with what it has. I ran 11.teens/11.20s with less in my duster, with a 4400 stall it ran 10.9s most of the time. The torker intake i'd get rid of, The M1 single is a very good piece & works very well, you also may find a 750dp might run quicker.

When i ran 11.teens, granted it was a 451 lowdeck, but it shouldn't make a huge difference over a 446, this is what i had.

Stock port 906s with standard size valves, 9.7.3 comp., XE284H cam, M1 single, 750dp, 9.5" 4400 PTC, 4.11s with a 28" tire, shifted at 5600, trapped around 6000, Best MPH & ET was 10.91 121.56 on a 1.51 60ft., race weight was 3070.

ought to be a 7.0 car my 360 ran 7.20s with a similar package cam and compression

With my motor at the time the car would run out of gear and be screaming way too soon before the end of the track with the 456 gear, This was with better heads and strip dominator intake with a 750DP. I was always lead to belive my hydralic cam was the weak link with the tall tire and gear. My buddy with an identical 340 but a more radical solid set up always ran quicker and faster. Guess I was wrong.

I hoping to run in the 7s i got it out on the street later that night and it was a lot coolerout and i launched it and i swear it pull the front wheels off the ground I pulled a plug and it was black i think it was fouled. I have a lot of little things to take care of first

Back in the day I child my gas and picked up over a half second in a bone stock 360

How did u do that

It's like a coffee can with aluminum or copper gas lines coiled up in the can with dry ice in it or ice. I have a picture some where of one I have :happy10:
let me see if I can find it :read2:

Here ya go, 40 degree gas is allot better then over 100 degree's gas 8)

JEEP%20FRESH%20AIR%201993%204_0%20116.jpg

I got the shiifter figure it out. It had the wrong shift lever on the tranny. I took it out and feels like it has a 7 second pass in it. My future wife is goning to buy me ethier adjustable coilovers or a m1 single plane intake. I dont no what to have her buy i dont no what would help me out the most.

-
Back