were spark plug wires the same for all slants

-

rdb

Reaction score
Went up to get some new spark plug wires for this'64 Dart that has an early 70s slant. I (incorrectly) had them pull up the info for 1964...I should have guessed at year of the engine it has, but still the listing came up as 1 bbl and we know this car is a 2 bbl. I can't see how that would affect wires... but still could anything have changed w/ spark plug wires over the life of the slant 6?

They will fit between the years, no major changes. Only difference is electronic ignition and the change to silicone insulation, wires are still interchangeable. The spark plug boots changed a little when they did away with the spark plug tubes, I believe this is when they went with Hydraulic lifters (not certain). Anyway, wires will still fit. I have 1979 Volare wires on my 65 Belvedere and no one can tell.

The wires changed in '75 when the drool tubes (spark plug tubes) went away. Prior to '75 the wires had a boot with a cap to cover the ends of the spark plug tubes. From '75 on (peanut head) the wires had a straight plug boot. The late wires will work fine if you can't find the capped ones. In fact the parts suppliers are doing away with the older style wires. The 2 pics following were pulled from the same listing on Rock Auto ('73 Dart) and the Belden 700113 wires were the only ones with the caps. Hope this helps...

drool tube View attachment drool tube wires.jpg peanutView attachment peanut wires.jpg

I never saw a good reason for the end caps on the boots. I guess it keeps junk out of the wells

Also the Denso 6716132 set has the tube caps. Guess it is a continuation of the style for a lot recessed plugs in the tops of OHC heads.

An old time dealership parts guy put me onto AC Delco 16-806A plug wires for the slant. I have had them on 3 different slant cars. Great fit at a good price. Downside - AC Delco printed on them. Can rub it off if needed.

-
Back