Were to get a aftermarket 440 block?

-

derbyking

Reaction score
Who makes a good one and does anyone stock them?building a 4.25 stroke blower motor.

indy
KB
mopar performance

indy you can buy the complete engine, all different configs, heads cranks etc

Koffel may or may not be doing iron blocks; either Koleno(?) or their own thing(Phoenix?) Might be worth a call if you're doing iron.

Aluminum: KB is the true path, just be prepared to wait, and wait some more. S/F....Ken M

I've heard Koleno experienced some sort of tragedy and is not producing blocks anymore. Anyone have better word? S/F....Ken M

am i wrong for saying for the price of an aluminum 440 block one may just be tempted to just build a hemi? seems like a lot of money to me

Well after a lot of calling around my buddy found a world aluminum block.nobody else seemed to have anything.so he gave it some thought and changed gears and is going 572ci NA motor.anyone have experience with these blocks?

Make sure the shop that's doing it has experience with aluminum aftermarket blocks. They have their own qirks and if they get it wrong it'sa lot of $$ to do it over again. I saw a Hemi that came out of a local "Mopar Guru's" shop (I won't use them) & went through that. Never even made it past warm up on the dyno before my shop shut it down. Cost tens of thousands to build, costing thousands to fix.

am i wrong for saying for the price of an aluminum 440 block one may just be tempted to just build a hemi? seems like a lot of money to me

let me try to put the money into perspective. $5000+ for an aluminum block, qwap that's a load of moola. I just can afford that much even if all the bolts and nuts come with it and no machine work is needed. so i'll just go buy one of those high nickel, strong as hell mega blocks and have to get it bored out and buy all the bolts and nuts too. in the long run I saved myself about $2000, I can use that to get more parts. yeah right. on the 4th or 5th pass a brand new aluminum rod figured it no longer wanted to hang with the other 7, out she goes. took the bottom off 2 cylinders up to and including the water jackets. well qwap again, tossed it in the junk pile because I now have a large piece of high nickel 150lbs of scrap iron. well what to do? oh yeah, that aluminum block I didn't buy to save a few bucks. call up kb and order a stage 10. this is a solid aluminum one that can be fixed if need be. when you get all you have to do is check it, clean it, and assemble it. nothing else! so to save a few bucks it cost me more in the long run. go aluminum or you just might be crying in your beer along with me. always remember that when you loose a rod in an iron block it's a total bank account killer and always needs to get toss in the trash pile.

no you can't put a hemi together for the same money.

I'll add - the KB's machining is in 95% of the times perfect. The other 5% they re-do if you find an error. Any of the other ones you will have to spend beyond the block price to have the machining corrected.

Indy makes decent parts but a lot of times they need to be finished. Their "Finished" heads have horrible retainer clips and the valve springs are terrible. Their blocks are decent but be ready to have someone else do all the machining on them. Rick Allison at A&A transmission warned me and my dad off of buying a 605 wedge built directly from Indy because e he had one in his personal can and only got 20 passes before it threw a rod. So he sent it back only to have it blow up again in 20 passes. just my 2 cents

-
Back