What a hurricane brings to SoCal...

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hurricane Marie down south off of Mexico churned up one of the biggest storm swells to hit SoCal beaches in the past 25 years. Here's some pics from yesterday at the "Wedge" in Newport Beach...

These pics were downloaded from the OC Register newspaper website today.

View attachment Wedge8.jpg

View attachment Wedge1.jpg

This guy went out with 2 boards! He caught the wave on the larger board then switched to the smaller board right after the beginning of his ride. Amazing!

View attachment Wedge2.jpg

View attachment Wedge3.jpg

View attachment Wedge4.jpg

View attachment Wedge5.jpg

View attachment Wedge6.jpg

View attachment Wedge7.jpg

I'll post a few pics I took yesterday at the Wedge in the next post.

Here's a few I took yesterday down at the Wedge...starting off with a cool ol' Dodge wagon we spotted driving down there...

View attachment DSCN2553.jpg

View attachment DSCN2558.jpg

View attachment P8274429.jpg

View attachment P8274430.jpg

View attachment P8274431.jpg

Those "dots" out in the water are the heads of the body surfers...

View attachment P8274432.jpg

This is just a tiny bit of the estimated 3000 people watching the body surfers battle the waves while we were there. You can see the swell breaking on the far jetty - that is the south portion of the entrance channel to Newport Bay and Balboa Island. The people are standing along the beginning of the jetty on the north side of the entrance channel.

View attachment P8274433.jpg

The "Wedge" gets it's name from the way the swells break on the shore. The swells come in at an angle to both the beach and the north jetty of the entrance channel. The swell reflects off of the jetty and then breaks across the swell hitting the beach. The combination of the reflected swell adds to the swell heading toward the beach and it can grow to almost twice the normal height. You can see part of the reflected swell cutting across the normal swell in this pic.

View attachment P8274435.jpg

-
Back