What a miserable job

-

Michael Brisebois

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know that there are worse jobs than replacing a starter in an early Barracuda, but it sucks.
That top bolt is such a bother to reach and remove.

Perhaps someone has a better way, but I did come up with a slight improvement,

Not exactly perfect, but it did make the top bolt easier.
IMG_2036.jpg
IMG_2037.jpg

Does anyone have other helpful suggestions?

You don't have an extension/ socket, maybe a wobble socket? I used to have what is called a "starter wrench" but you can MAKE one if you have the proper (5/8?) wrench and a propane torch

starter wrench - Google Search

I know that there are worse jobs than replacing a starter in an early Barracuda, but it sucks.

Not exactly perfect, but it did make the top bolt easier. View attachment 1715741239 View attachment 1715741240

There should be a stud on the top mounting hole for the starter so you can hang it on there while you start the nut... A bolt goes in the bottom mounting hole...

I always just used a ratchet with a wobble end extension. The regular square extension that doesn’t wobble is OK.
I lay under the car for it. Headers are not a problem.

Not exactly perfect, but it did make the top bolt easier. View attachment 1715741239 View attachment 1715741240

Years ago, I ran into needing a half moon ratcheting wrench set to change the transfer case on my truck. Dodge didn’t leave anyway to separate the transfer case from the trans without first dropping them as a unit.

so I went to orielly and bought a gear wrench brand set. Best money ever spent and was less than 40 bucks. They work GREAT for starters

-
Back