What a RIP OFF!!!

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just received an email notice from a major automotive parts store with their new flyer advertising a "HOT DEAL" on Prestone 50/50 pre-diluted antifreeze/coolant at $11.99 per gallon.
Checking their website finds you can buy a gallon of non-diluted full-strength Prestone for $2.00 more.
So...that means I can get two gallons of pre-diluted antifreeze/coolant for $23.98 or add my own gallon of water to the full-strength stuff and get the same amount of 50/50 mix for $13.99.
WOW! Such a deal! Prestone will pre-dilute for me and only charge me $10 for a gallon of water.

Just received an email notice from a major automotive parts store with their new flyer advertising a "HOT DEAL" on Prestone 50/50 pre-diluted antifreeze/coolant at $11.99 per gallon.
Checking their website finds you can buy a gallon of non-diluted full-strength Prestone for $2.00 more.
So...that means I can get two gallons of pre-diluted antifreeze/coolant for $23.98 or add my own gallon of water to the full-strength stuff and get the same amount of 50/50 mix for $13.99.
WOW! Such a deal! Prestone will pre-dilute for me and only charge me $10 for a gallon of water.
What a deal! For stupid/lazy people. IMO.

LOL, I've seen the same thing here in stores. I almost bought some premix because I was feeling lazy. But I realized immediately I wasn't double the price lazy!

A guy I worked with needed some antifreeze for his John Deere yard tractor. When I saw that he had the 50/50 on his pickup seat I asked him if he realized he had the pre-mix. He said, "Ya, I don't know how I could mix it myself." All I could do is respond with,"Ya."

My customers used to come in and ask for coolant and I'd automatically point them to the full strength.

There were a few who wanted the 50/50 as they were from out of town and didn't have access to another jug and/or water tap to mix their own.

I always buy the straight anti-freeze and dilute it myself...

Why pay over $4 for a gallon of water....

Yet it flies off the shelf. I don't get it, either.

But........just like their motor oil prices, O'Reilly will tell you that they are not in the anti freeze OR motor oil business. It is simply carried as a customer convenience.

Lastly, O'Reilly will also price match just about anybody on the frikkin planet. Find an ad with a cheaper price, O'Reilly will match or even beat it. This excludes only pay to join clubs like Sams and such. I've even match Rock Auto.

Nobody ever mentions their great price match policy, only the stupid stuff.

Yet it flies off the shelf. I don't get it, either.

But........just like their motor oil prices, O'Reilly will tell you that they are not in the anti freeze OR motor oil business. It is simply carried as a customer convenience.

Lastly, O'Reilly will also price match just about anybody on the frikkin planet. Find an ad with a cheaper price, O'Reilly will match or even beat it. This excludes only pay to join clubs like Sams and such. I've even match Rock Auto.

Nobody ever mentions their great price match policy, only the stupid stuff.

At Advance I wasn't even allowed to move prices on oil or coolant for my commercial customers without DM or CAM numbers to move the price. Forget doing a price match for a retail customer.

I sold one of my commercial customers $600 worth of oil under the previous week's deal and wound up playing phone tag with the DM most of the day to get approval for the sale and then calling the CAM so I could use her numbers to override the price.

Talk about a pain in the ***. But, we hit our numbers for the day on that sale and everyone was happier than a pig in mud.

And price matching was fun as we had a commercial customer who would spend his time calling NAPA and carquest to get prices and then call me to price match and buy.

Fun times.

I hear that about Advance every day. That's one thing I really like about O'Reilly. They want you to make that sale while the customer is there. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Full strenght "Super Tech" (Walmart brand) $9.88/ gal. I just bought 2 gals. Already used one gallon.
barracudadave67

People pay for convenience, plain and simple.

When I worked at carquest they told us to match/override prices to keep retail traffic, then took away our ability to change pricing, and they wondered why our retail sales plummeted.

Yep, when I worked at Advance I would explain how to mix it and people would still buy the 50/50. Seems crazy.

Yep, when I worked at Advance I would explain how to mix it and people would still buy the 50/50. Seems crazy.
I don`t know about now, but the reg. full strength stuff used to be cheaper anyway, by a couple of bucks ! I hardly ever buy the stuff, run my antifreeze forever and never change it. Just traded my 02 quadcab off w/ the factory antifreeze still in it. 15 YRS. AND NO PROBLEMS.

Only benefit I see to buying the 50/50 is it SHOULD be mixed with good water. Tap water will corrode your engine faster. When I filled the cooling system in my Duster I bought full strength then bought 2-3 gallons of distilled water at Walmart for 80 some cents a gallon I think.

The water in the pre-mix isn't tap water or distilled. It's fully de-ionized so that it doesn't create any corrosion issues.

-
Back