what a stupid thing to do

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put my oldest son Chris through college several years back to become a mechanic. That's what he wanted to do. He done well, matter of fact he became one of the youngest ASE certified master tech mechanics at the age of 21. Started working at some of the local dealerships and thought he knew his stuff. He did, but not on the old cars. About a year ago we pulled the center section down in the 73 Dart Sport and I was going to send it out to have the gears changed to the 3:55's that are in there now. My son said that he could do that and I thought .....ok. put it all back together and it ran fine till we was getting ready to go to Cruisin the Coast last year. Just before we left, I was checking out the car and noticed a drip from the pinion seal.
He said he would fix it and we had to replace the yoke at the same time. I told him we needed to go back with a crush sleeve eliminator. He told me that he could mark the nut and put it back where it was and we didn't have to do that. Against my better judgement I thought maybe he knows somethin I don't so I let him do it. I knew better though. We drove the Dart part way down and all the way back. We got going through Nashville on the way home and Tyler told me that the rearend was making a noise. Well you can guess the rest. I felt pretty good the other day and bored so we pulled the car in the garage and pulled the center section out. I could tell the pinion bearing was junk. I took it over to a guy I know that builds dragsters and he took it apart and the carrier bearings were junk too. So I am having the whole thing redone and set up right. I ordered 2 crush sleeve eliminators from Dr. Diff.
Why 2, because he done the same thing with my Duster years ago. That small vibration I have been chasing for years, the center section is the only component I have not checked. I bet some of it is in there. When I get the dart back together, I am going to pull the section out of the Duster and have him tear it down and do it right. You want to think that when you kid tells you that they can do things to let them do it. But I knew better and should have done it right. BIG LESSON LEARNED HERE. If you have to take it down, go back with a crush sleeve eliminator.

Bill good to see you posting and glad you had a good day. As far as doing things right sometimes we all need a lesson in humility, especially when were younger. I bet he has learned a couple of things, like when you think you've got it figured out you don't and dad isn't as ignorant as he thought. I know I have and still learn things at almost 50 yrs old. 👍👍

Experience sometimes trumps schooling.

This is one of the comments I made to my brother the other day.
"This up coming generation could tell you all about it, but can't actually do it."

Not to belittle your Son's education, as I used to have all those same certs as well as ATRA (automatic trans builders Assoc) but there are times when experience is worth more than all the schooling available.

At least you know from experience. :D

I have learned a lot working on these 3 a bodies. The biggest thing is to keep my oldest boy away from them. He is good on the cars of today but he doesn't know much on the old ones. I am just the opposite. I can work on the old ones but if that motor sits in there sideways, I don't want any part of it. I try to teach Tyler what to do on these old cars and he has learned a lot while building these. We have learned together. But yes, I agree Trailbeast that experience is worth way more than schooling.

Sometimes you learn more from making a mistake than doing it right. You learn what not to do for the next time and how to do it right after you fix it again...

Still trying to figure out how indexing the nut gives you a reading on bearing preload... Stuff wears and things change. I've reused a crush sleeve and just added a shim with no issues. Glad you are getting it sorted out though.

I have used both the crush sleeve and the eliminator. I have never had any issues with the crush sleeve. Kind of sounds like he over tighten the pinion nut. There is a rule of thumb when reusing a crush sleeve is tighten it an extra 1/4 of a turn. That is why he indexed it. I don't like to reuse a crush sleeve period but some time you have to. Don't have to worry about that with the crush sleeve eliminator. The best way to learn is by experience, I build 3-4 diffs a week for the past 20 years.

You can also take an old crush sleeve and put a heavy pipe inside of it. Chuck it in the vise and hammer a LITTLE on the bulge to make it longer again. Thus rendering it useful again. Have done this in a pinch before, when a new sleeve was not readily available.

Congrats on getting your life back, to be there for your son's mistakes and everything else.:cheers:

I had pretty good luck reusing the crush sleeve on my 70 Bee.

Just by feel I put about an eighth extra turn on it.

More than once.

Maybe just lucky.

I DON"T care for that design, though.

You can also take an old crush sleeve and put a heavy pipe inside of it. Chuck it in the vise and hammer a LITTLE on the bulge to make it longer again. Thus rendering it useful again. Have done this in a pinch before, when a new sleeve was not readily available.

Done that a few times myself. :D

The mistake he made was putting the nut back in the same place. You can do what he attempted, but once the nut is removed, you must tighten it a little past where it was in order to put a little preload on the old crush sleeve again, or it will loosen back up as yours did. I have done lots of them like that and never had a problem.

Although it is better to use a new crush sleeve or an eliminator......but it CAN be done like he was trying to do.

I've done it many times by marking the nut. Pull the brake drums and take a reading with an inch lb torque wrench. Tighten nut until the original reading comes back +2 inch lbs.

I`m setting up my DrDiff nodular rear myself and have never done it before and am TRIPLE checking everything and went w/the crush sleeve eliminator and it`s really the only way to go from what many have told me..........at least you didn`t hurt you guys or the car.

As was said - he was close... Just needed to preload the sleeve a hair. he's young - lesson learned. If he's really interested he should have no trouble working on the old stuff. New RWD stuff is set up the same way.

If that's the worst mistake he ever makes, you done good.
Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgment.
The world is plagued with inexperience.

The mistake he made was putting the nut back in the same place. You can do what he attempted, but once the nut is removed, you must tighten it a little past where it was in order to put a little preload on the old crush sleeve again, or it will loosen back up as yours did. I have done lots of them like that and never had a problem.

Although it is better to use a new crush sleeve or an eliminator......but it CAN be done like he was trying to do.

yep, we have done it hundreds of times. you think when they replace your pinion seal at the dealer or service station they replace that sleeve? hell No! they tighten it a little past where it was.

Wow , this takes me back.Young kid,fresh out of tech school at work at the dealership.The head mechanic was old school.When you would ask him a question his answer was "What does the book say ?" His jab at a kid that went to tech school. I will say after awhile we got along great and he showed me things to save time. Remember back then we worked "Flat Rate" and were paid what the factory time allowed to do the job. Memories....I must be getting old..........

Wow , this takes me back.Young kid,fresh out of tech school at work at the dealership.The head mechanic was old school.When you would ask him a question his answer was "What does the book say ?" His jab at a kid that went to tech school. I will say after awhile we got along great and he showed me things to save time. Remember back then we worked "Flat Rate" and were paid what the factory time allowed to do the job. Memories....I must be getting old..........

I didn`t read all these posts, but had two differant rearends set up for hot street cars that the friend mech. used the old crush sleeve in, didn`t have any trouble w/ either one of them !

Well, I just got the center section back for the Dart from my shop guy. The pinion and carrier bearings were shot. It didn't get anything else. Caught it in time. replaced the crush sleeve with one of them eliminator ones. Put the rearend back in yesterday. Today I pulled the Duster in the garage and going to pull the center section out of it and have the bearings replaced on that one and a new eliminator crush sleeve. That may be where the slight vibration I have had is located.

Attachments

• DSC08831.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 289
I work with greenhorns right out of "Installation and repair" and "cable maintenance" schools for Verizon telephone and those guys know jack about how it gets done in the field. Similar to old cars and new mechanics, the 2 just dont go together well. Experience is worth it, and the classroom environment with all its pretty new tools and meters doesnt make it out the front door. I dont understand the mystery of R&R rear ends, dial indicator and a torque wrench and a manual.

-
Back