What accessories share the same circuit on '69 Dart?

-

BuckeyeAlex

Reaction score
I went to take my '69 Dart for a drive a few days ago and noticed the dome light didn't come on when I opened the door. I checked the bulb and cleaned the socket, neither were the issue. I then checked the fuse, which was blown. I figured it'd be an accessory circuit and would include the radio and cigarette lighter, then found on here that the brake lights share it as well. I unplugged the rear section of the harness at the kick panel and the new fuse blew as soon as I touched both contacts, so something is happening up front.

My car has new speakers and wires ran, but no radio (previous owner must've wanted to keep it). I have gauges in the opening for the radio, so I remove them and see that one of the connectors from the radio/speaker wiring was touching the ash tray and would spark as I moved it across the ash tray, so I thought that was for sure the problem. I zip tied all the radio related wires out of the way and covered the ends with electrical tape. Once again, fuse blew as soon as I touched both contacts. I've never used the cigarette lighter, but didn't see any issues with the wire for it. I only have one new fuse left now, so rather than trial and error, I figured I better ask FABO for advice.

My question is what else besides the dome light, radio, cigarette lighter and brake lights share this circuit? I've never had an issue with this circuit before, and the car is garaged and rarely driven, so I'm sure it's something simple, I just need to find some more time to trace wires.

Well the short answer is you need to dig in and do some reading. The factory shop manuals are available FREE from MyMopar. Some of them came from guys here on FABO

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

Get into section 8, electrical, and find "just before" the wiring diagrams start, as well as the diagrams themselves. There's a chart, there, which shows which fuses do what.

I would NOT take that chart to be absolute. Consult the wiring diagrams as well

In one book, page 8-85. Not all the manuals at MyMopar are numbered that way, you have to diddle the pages

w82flg.jpg

I would question whether the radio and dome light share the same fuse. The radio is a 'switched' circuit, and the dome light is not. the wiring diagram I am looking at shows the dome light and cigar lighter on one 'unswitched' fuse and the Brake lights and Emergency flasher on another. Without being there and having the luxury of a 'good' store bought diagram to look at, I would guess that the culprit just might be the cigar lighter. Try to isolate that and see where you are.

I would question whether the radio and dome light share the same fuse. The radio is a 'switched' circuit, and the dome light is not. the wiring diagram I am looking at shows the dome light and cigar lighter on one 'unswitched' fuse and the Brake lights and Emergency flasher on another. Without being there and having the luxury of a 'good' store bought diagram to look at, I would guess that the culprit just might be the cigar lighter. Try to isolate that and see where you are.

Like I said "consult the diagram" and you can download the manual at MyMopar. This is a scan of an original Chrysler document. You don't need a "store bought" diagram.

2vl1cuu.jpg

The top end is power "coming in" to the fuse panel. Q2A-14BK is the switched accessory power feeding IN from the ignition switch.

So the first three fuses from the left are "switched."

The next two, jumpered together, are fed by Q3-14R. This is the "hot" buss coming into those two fuses

The last fuse, far right is the INST fuse. The only time it's hot is when the tan, at top feeding in, the light switch must be on, the instrument dimmer must be "towards the left". The instrument lights are all fed out at the bottom on the orange wiring

So now you need to follow the circuit coming off the bottom of the dome / emergency flasher fuse and see where it all goes

Wire M1-18P "dome lamp" goes direct to the kick panel connector, and no other junctions are shown

"Stop Lamp and Emergency flasher, D31-18P shows running off to the emergency flasher, WHICH IS a junction point, and then D31-18P continues onto the second page to the stop light switch

If this car has a light in the trunk, the fault could very well be in that switch or bulb socket. This is a added in harness that can be completely disconnected above the left rear wheel well.

No trunk light, but thanks for the tip. I have a busy week ahead, but hopefully I can find some time to look it over a little more and report back.

67Dart273, thanks for the link to the diagrams. What is odd is that the diagram I was looking at (in an older Haynes Dodge Dart and Plymouth Valiant repair manual that has always been accurate in the past) does show the hot lead Q3-14R going into two fuses, but the fuse on the left has X1-16R (CIGAR LIGHTER) and M1-18P (DOME) coming out; while the fuse on the right has L818P (STOP AND TAIL LAMPS) and D31-18P (EMERGENCY FLASHER) coming out. Then I just dove into my 69 Mopar Service Manual on CD, and the diagram matched yours. That is the first time the Haynes manual ever failed me. I am CERTAINLY glad you cleared that up. I thought I was genuinely giving good info based on a wiring diagram I thought was accurate. I completely wired my 69 Barracuda basket case 25 years ago with a good wiring diagram (store bought), so an accurate diagram is valuable.

There ARE discrepancies here and there. One I know about in the 67?--70? years in the factory manuals concerns the yellow start wire and the horn wire as they feed through the bulkhead connector are mixed up.

Well guys, I wish I had a clear resolution, but I don't. I finally had a free evening yesterday, so I started inspecting the wiring from the fuse block to under the dash, and saw no obvious issues. I just started rerouting and tucking away things a little neater, pulled all connections apart to inspect/clean and reconnected, replaced the fuse, and everything worked as it should. Must've been something minor? Thanks again for all input.

-
Back