what aluminum intake -- hood clearance issues

-

340duster340

Reaction score
so with the 66 and the 318 i am swapping i am test fitting all the parts before the actual swap.

i have a hi-rise dual plane, and hood clearance is tight.

i looked on jegs, summit, etc and other than offy, there really arent any low-rise stock type aluminum intakes.

am i missing something? what are you guys running?

Eddy performer is a short intake, so is the Victor 340. RPM is a tall intake, But it should still fit without to much hassle. I have a lot of customers running an RPM in early A bodies like yours. But most of them are running Holley carbs and drop base air cleaners.

A stock 340 manifold, which is pretty high, TQ and 68 up air filter fits on a 64 Barracuda. An Edelbrock Performer, LD4B, or Holley Street Dominator should work. I am not familiar with others.

thanks, i would kill to find an LD4B, but cant find one anywhere at a reasonable price.

i have an RPM, but for now wanting to keep a stock-ish look.

I ran an LD340 on my 65 Valiant. I had the old Max Wedge hood scoop, but it would have fit without it. I think the Eddy Air Gap will even fit with a low profile air cleaner. There's more room there than you might think.

thanks, i would kill to find an LD4B, but cant find one anywhere at a reasonable price.

i have an RPM, but for now wanting to keep a stock-ish look.

The Holley Street Dominator looks almost like an original 273 Commando intake, and is almost as low. It will take any carb, even a TQ and has a choke well. Good Luck!

I'm running a Performer with no problems but had a 3" tall air cleaner and it just barely rubbed the paint off the inside of the hood in a spot or two so it depends on how much air cleaner you think you need. Now running 2 1/2" tall one. Can't remember diameter....12-13 maybe. Dennis

I have a RPM intake with an AFB and a 3 in drop air clean (4 in tall filter) that just clears :D

Attachments

• Motor installed.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 317
i would have liked and LD4B, but picked up an M1 dual plane from a member here.

it looks nice like a factory type manifold, so will see how it works when it gets here.

Just as a reference my '63 runs an old Weiand 7507 similar to their new Stealth. 1''+ or so taller than my old Eddy Performer. AFB on 1'' spacer. I planed for a scoop but hoods not done yet and I wanted to drive it so I made a drop base and use a one piece full air cleaner cover assy. It doesn't look stock at all but food for thought. It's just my temporary set-up till I finish the other hood but it works great as is. There are ways to make room. :D
Cheers,
Larry

Attachments

• ramblin' 029.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Sept 020.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Sept 019.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 226
  • Sept 018.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Sept 012.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Sept 011.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Sept 010.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 274
  • Sept 017.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 250
I'm yet to fit and work out how my aircleaner height will go....318 in a 62 Valiant.....I may have to make a fibreglass bonnet yet.

Attachments

• IMGP5934.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 248
Worst-case, you could use an top-hat air plenum like Magnum engines use. You can get after-market aluminum ones. Look at MeMike's posts for photos of one on a slant.

I'm yet to fit and work out how my aircleaner height will go....318 in a 62 Valiant.....I may have to make a fibreglass bonnet yet.

i have/had same issue. my hi-rise dual plane with carb was nearly as tall.

hopefully the new manifold fixes it.

i will post pics when i get it.

Eddy D4B, Eddy 600, have one of the supports taken out from under the hood as shown, just fits. Could not find a scoop I liked on the car.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 010.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 221
  • 004.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 011.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 216
-
Back