What are my Front End options?

-

ProTouringCuda

Reaction score
In the planning stages of a '64 cuda build, and through this forum have seen the Alter-K-Tion kit and the Magnum Force kit for front end coil overs / K-member replacement.

My questions are:

(1) Has anyone here had experience with both, and if so, are there any pro's and con's that you've come up with?

(2) Are there any other options out there (besides building one from scratch).

I am happy with the Alterk fit and finish. Good customer service from Reilly, he has sent/sold me little things I wanted to change. Makes engine install, header clearance etc.....very easy and clean.

Only con I think is the track width (increases it)....but that really depends on brakes and type of wheels you wanna run. Wilwood has what they call "zero offset" hubs now which brings the track width back in.

I have the AlterK and I'm very happy with the fit and quality. There is another setup from a company called Cap Auto parts. I don't know much about it.

Hey RJ, how is everything going, have you done any more work on the Demon?

Our club, Inland Mopars, used the AlterKtion on our 2008 charity raffle car build ('68 Valiant - see pic below) and found it to be a very high quality system. It gave tons of room for the 400" big-block, headers, and everything else.

Like mentioned before, the only drawback was the restricted backspacing on wheels. But the new Wilwood 'zero-offset' hubs may fix that - I haven't seen or use them so cannot offer any opinions.
Regarding the CAP system mentioned earlier, check carefully into it as there's been several negative comments in other threads concerning CAP products. Again, I haven't seen it or used it so cannot offer any opinions.

2008_68ValiantRaffleCar2.jpg

Well with the Alter-K-tion you can't run the stock spindles with stock disc brakes. Your forced to the Willwood or similar brakes.

Cap Auto makes a set-up that allowed you to use the stock spindles/brakes and keeps the track width the same as stock. But some people have had Cap Auto upper control arms break. I was looking at them and figured if they ut a gusset on the connection points, it'd really stengthen them up.

I haven't done much research into the Magnum Force set-up yet.

I'm in the same stages you are. Planning and disassembly. I already bought the Street Linx set-up for the rear. Looks great and from what I've read it performs flawlessly.

I'll be sure to check back on this thread for more opinions and such.

Riddler

I'll be sure to check back on this thread for more opinions and such.

I'll be watching as well. I'm cheap and already have 73 and up bbp disk brakes installed on my 65 Barracuda. Everything I've seen on the Alterkation makes it look like the way to go, except for my cheapness. I'm going to see how bad it is once I'm trying to build the headers for the 440 and trying to keep the pipes away from the clutch linkage.

For a car that is concerned with handling (Pro Touring), Alterkition is the way to go. The Magnumforce put the weight on the shock supports that were not designed for that. Fine and light for drag car, but not for something putting a lot of stress on the front end.

The big advantage on an early A-body would be the added header room from having no T-bars, center link, and steering gear. But there are no headers on the market to take advantage of the added room. So you probably still will use TTI 64-66 small block headers. Still will have more room with them.

Of course you could run TTI header with your stock K-frame, weld and reinforce it, get a firm feel steering box, disk brack upgrade to whatever you desire, tubular UCA's and big T-bars. That all might pencil out close to a comparable Alterkition kit.

My only issue with the alterKtion package is the fact it cannot be used with stock spindles or brakes. The stock disc brakes are pretty good on my 76 Duster.

If you reinforce the shock towers you should be ok. I'm planning to box them and then gusset them as well.

Riddler

My only issue with the alterKtion package is the fact it cannot be used with stock spindles or brakes. The stock disc brakes are pretty good on my 76 Duster.

If you reinforce the shock towers you should be ok. I'm planning to box them and then gusset them as well.

Riddler

Well, I'm already planning on Wilwoods all the way around, so that's not an issue for me.

As far as the shock towers are concerned, the AlterK doesn't really require them, right? Current plan is to actually fill in a large portion of the inner fender/tower, and add chassis support from the cage crossmember under the dash to the front subframe.

As far as the Street Linx set-up - that purchase does not include the rear end housing correct? I'm seriously thinking of that too. Wonder if RMS gives a discount when you buy both?

To get that slammed look with those big diameter tires, will you be using air bags?? I think that about the only way to get it to look close to that picture with being able to actually turn the car.

The street linx doesn't come with a rear axle, just everything else. It's a good kit and allows the use of the 8 3/4 and the ford 9.

I'm not sure which way I'm headed for the front either. Need to build up some money and purchase a front end set-up.

Riddler

-
Back