What are my options for bolting a different trans up to a slant 6 bellhousing?

-

SwinginDart74

Reaction score
Went to the local salvage, found a 64 slant 6 that has a 3spd manny tranny on it, getting the whole package. Was wondering what different transmissions could bolt up to this bellhousing. Also what kind of power can I put to the stock 3spd? It will have a blown 225 in front of it. Also, I have no clue about these trannies, this may sound like a stupid question....but how does one change it from a 3 on the tree to a floor shift? I have never seen one of these trannies and have no idea what the linkages look like, is it a toploader tranny or what? Thanx in advance

The 64 was a Push Button trans so it is cable operated, you will need those cables and brackets. There are 3,4 and even 5 speeds you can hook up to a slant 6. The factory had 3 and 4 speeds. At slantsix.org there are conversion directions to the 5 speed as well as a pictorial on all the different trans available. ( Articles section)
Hope this gives you enough to chew on.
Frank

Let's see if I am reading the post right. About the only tranny that will bolt to the '64 bellhousing is another 3 speed. The bolt pattern is not right for a 4 speed. You have 2 choices for transmissions, the one you have or the '68-'74 which has synchronizers on low gear. The tranny you have has a crash low gear. These 3 speeds are tough as nails and have been around almost as long as Chrysler. They came behind Max Wedge 413s so I doubt a blown slant will hurt one. The shift levers are in the side case. They are not a "toploader". To switch one over to floor shift you will need a 3 speed floor shifter and cut a honkin' hole in the floor for shifter rod clearance. There are ways to use a 4 speed or more but not with what you are getting from the yard.

There are 3 different slant 6 bellhousings that I know of from '70 up: 3 speed, 3/4 speed floor shift, and 3 speed OD. They all have different size collars with the OD being the largest. I have bolted all 3 to various slant 6's but all '70 and up engines. PS: I have a spare '74 3 speed column shift tranny for sale: make offer.
Later,
Bruce B.

Go checkout slantsix.org and look at the transmission section. There are guys useing import trannies and auto overdrives like the A500.

From my understanding the 3 sd will only bolt up to a 3 sd bellhousing, and if you are thinking of a floor shift I would go with a 4 speed set up since you would have to put the hump in for the floor shift. Just mu 2 cents worth ok.

Most of the efforts to put anything other than an A833 behind a slant six have used the bellhousing that came with the transmission. There's a factory adapter (now pretty hard to find) that puts a V8 transmission behind a slant six (IIRC it's the big block pattern) and there are slant six to Chevy bolt pattern adapters. If that thought makes you wince, there were transmissions that bolt up to a SBC that GM didn't build in-house. :)

The transmission you have is probably the A-903. It has synchro on 2 & 3 gears. Ratios vary depending on whether is was behind a 170 or 225.

Engine 1st 2nd 3rd
170 3.22:1 1.84:1 1.00:1
225 2.95:1 1.83:1 1.00:1

I can't imagine one of these behind a Max Wedge car, or for that matter behind the 361 2bbl in a Chrysler Newport. Had one in a 66 Dart with a V-8. It was a PITA to have to pull to a stop to get to first gear. Yeah, I could double clutch, but that was a PITA, too.

-
Back