What are some must haves for a street racing car?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 73 Swinger. Im thinking of going the street racing route. What are some must have for cornering, acceleration, etc. Just looking for some general ideas or tips. Like to keep the build under 10k.

Bet you're sorry you asked, huh?

I too, have a 73 Swinger and would like to do much the same things as you. However,unless I missed it amongst the sniping, what is your program is as far as engine, trans etc and if you can do most the work yourself?

IMO(disclaimer), you can save some $$$ on high budget brakes by just using the stock disks, bigger rear brakes and have a hell of a lot more fun by using a manual transmission.

As far as handling, a big block will push like hell in the turns even with big bars and and bars, but the torque of a big block with a stick is close to euphoria you can get with a steering wheel! Expensive!! So, a 360 is probably the biggest bang for the buck to stay within budget.

And realistically, If you want both fast and agile for less than 10K, pick one and go with it. The grin factor will be worth it either way.

I'm curious what cars you've driven in for any length of time at 100+mph. Seeing internet videos or a Honda with a pipe going 120mph on the open highway is not "street racing".
IMO, $10K is not enough if you have a bse 318 type A body. Good brakes will use up $3-4K of that if you're actually serious about it. The required wheels and tires to cover those brakes will cost another $3K for average ones. Assuming no labor costs (you have to be capable of doing this quality work, or you'll crash and destroy the car or you...) then you've got suspension mods, depending on what you want to do you are looking at some chassis stiffening, plus upgraded suspension parts for another $2K. That leaves you a couple grand for the engine/trans/OD unit/rear axle.

Assuming the car is structuraly solid enough to handle the up grades and the whole 10k is strickly mechanical upgrades that kind of money can get you a well rounded car to have some fun with. After that start figuring out how to spend the next 10k to get the car were you really want it.

Slap the body on a Corvette chassis, weld in a mopar power plant and don't tell anyone what you did.he, he.

Attachments

• PA310588.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 150
  • PA310589.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 145
  • PA310590.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 146
  • PA310591.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 142
Yall are all wrong. there's only one "must have" he'll need for a good "street racing" car. A good attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back