What are the best headers for 66 Dart V8?

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
What are the best headers for a V8 in a 66 Dart?I have p.steering also a column shift,which I,ll be swapping out for a floor shifter.

Doug,s??
TTI,s ??
Spitfire,s shortys ??

Which ones and why ??

Thanks for your advise!

I would be interested in the same thing.. I have heard that none were made for p steering. And i have a bell crank to deal with as I have a speed in mine

Hey Dartcuda,check out the spitfire sticky in the early-A forum,I think it mentions something about 4 speeds with the spitfires?

guess it depends what you mean by best.

you want the best:
fitting?
performing?
price?

performing: depending on your combo would be in my opinion the hooker fenderwells i would think followed by tti (bigger tubes then the dougs) then the dougs then the spit fires ( spitfires will go into the mid 12's easy though). remember though with the TTI's you need a special expensive starter. not sure what ones will fit with power steering though.

fit wise: i would say the spit fires would be best. they are easy to install and clear everything well (not sure about power steering though)

price:
spitfires win by a mile.

I have the hooker 5208's on my 64 Dart w/ p/s. There is some cutting involved. You don't need to cut as much as they say. There are some slip fit pipes. You might get some tire rub too... they are easier to install if the motor is out. Price wise they are cheaper than tti...especially with their required started. I have a mini starter and right angle oil filter with no issues. Use the fram equivalent ph3600 filter.

Bob

020.jpg

022.jpg

TTIs are a lot, pain to put in, but I think quality performance are one of the best, but you will pay too!

I run them on my 64 Dart with a 416.8)

Joe is correct, depends what you mean?

416lft.jpg

416rt.jpg

Well it looks like I,m gonna have to pay,cause I don,t want fenderwell and the tti,s fit with power steering.Unless hooker sells ones for p.steering applications?What I mean by the best is fit(no cutting)or leaks at heads,performance,long lasting.

Thanks petty blue. just checked it out but it did say would not work with p/s.
The TTI,s say they will clear p.steering,but the price is WOW!!$$For me to have these shipped here in the end we,re talking $1000 for hedders?Sounds to me like this is gonna cost more than the motor,tranny combo I just bought.

The TTI,s say they will clear p.steering,but the price is WOW!!$$For me to have these shipped here in the end we,re talking $1000 for hedders?Sounds to me like this is gonna cost more than the motor,tranny combo I just bought.

and on top of that don't forget the special not so cheap starter you'll need.

Yeah saw the price on those, pretty spendy and yeah the cost of the starter.. May have to look into the Hookers and see what they have.. I have time as it will be awhile before I do that.

Thanks Abodyjoe for all the info.,are all hookers fenderwell?Over,under?Or do they make the long tubes?I searched and found these part#5116hkr and it says no mods. is this correct?Price is $479.54 cheaper anyway!

Thanks Abodyjoe for all the info.,are all hookers fenderwell?Over,under?Or do they make the long tubes?I searched and found these part#5116hkr and it says no mods. is this correct?Price is $479.54 cheaper anyway!

the only headder that i know of that hooker makes for an early A-body is full fenderwell. you may want to look into it further.

TTIs are a lot, pain to put in, but I think quality performance are one of the best, but you will pay too!

I run them on my 64 Dart with a 416.8)

Joe is correct, depends what you mean?

Nice, I don't think I've seen pictures of you ride.

I have the hooker 5208's on my 64 Dart w/ p/s. There is some cutting involved. You don't need to cut as much as they say. There are some slip fit pipes. You might get some tire rub too... they are easier to install if the motor is out. Price wise they are cheaper than tti...especially with their required started. I have a mini starter and right angle oil filter with no issues. Use the fram equivalent ph3600 filter.

Bob

Yours looks killer too. I think those style valve covers are growing on me.

Hey Moparlee,the headers look nice,but up here fenderwells are illegal for road use,strip only!So ofcoarse I,ve got to buy the expensive one!%$*&!!!

Nice, I don't think I've seen pictures of you ride.

Yeah I need to post some more pics, it is good to go, all suspension, brakes, trans, frame mods, engine, rear end etc all done. lots of $$ but man what a beast to drive!

Just need to redo the interior which is in progress. Just finished a rebuild on the steering column, new harness, t-signal switch and painted in satin black. Once tht is done then the exterior is getting a redo as well.

Thanks Moparlee.. I ran the hipo v/c before. That is still a cool look on the early A's...........
The hooker 5208's are considered "chassis exit". Not all the tubes are in the fenderwells. 3 on one side, 2 on the other. They wrap under the frame rail and exit at trans crossmember. I didn't have to notch the x-member. I've had them on since 2000 with no problems.

Bob

I too did a V8 swap and i ended up going with the tti's. the one major problem i found was the slant six power steering box has a return line that points straight up into the header tube. the V8's box might not have this, i know for sure the later ones point down. i went with a flaming river box to have the handling and cleaner look. also if you have a 904 trans. the stock mini starters fit fine. you also have to understand that your torsion bars run through the tti's and everything is very close. If i were to do it again i would probably go with the spitfires and still a manual box. Cost a lot less and a more simple setup.

-
Back