What are the plymouth dash wiring harness differences from 74 to 75

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I have access to a 1975 valiant moredoor with a perfect or near perfect wiring harness. Wires arent brittle or faded. Really nice. My buddy has a 1974 duster and the dash harness is been spliced, butchered, and baked, like wires shorted together.

Heres the big question. Will the 75 valiant harness fit the 74 duster? What is different between the 2 years on this? I need facts not guesses. Dont need any suprises if we pull it from the donor car and have issues. I dont have a problem doing minor mods to it, and repinning a few leads.

Will be heading to get this part on saturday, so kinda need to know before then.

Thanks
Matt

grab a schematic, chances are if its the same model they are 98% the same.

74 Valiant and long running Duster dash. what is under TEMP guage? Missing....

dashboard.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWOc-FYValzIeW9iZ_ETZwnaagnuHnAElvX0LPYJ-_ouKYsO7z.jpg

Last edited:
Options and yearly changes.

Go to my Mopar.com and do some research. Download the FSM’s and start comparing. Wiring docs may be useful but the FSM is a better bible!

The 74 had the seat belt interlock setup. Depending when in 75 it was built it may or not. My August 75 Duster does not have it, but early 75's do. The schematics for 75 have it. I actually bought a 76 manual to get a better schematic of my system.

I have a set of 75 FSMs
The blue dash looks like it has 2 lights under fuel gage and temp gage. Is one the seatbelt light, other maybe an EGR light or something.

Last edited:
The ONLY way you are going to tell FOR SURE is to compare the harnesses side by side and wire by wire PERIOD. Nobody can give you a magic answer. As mentioned above, one big difference would be the much hated seat belt interlock

That really is not as difficult as you might think.

I pulled the FSMs from mymopar. Will print them out tomorrow and compare the 2. I agree best way is with wiring side by side to compare. He doesnt want to pull the 75 valiant harness unless it will work in his 74 duster. He isnt a wiring guru, which is why i was asking, and mentioned modding the good condition 75 harness to suit.

Let's face it they all start out as bare bodies at the factory. Splice add and delete as necessary for his options. Anything would be better than a butchered up melted mess, I would think. Like 67Dart273 said no easy answer, wire by wire but unfortunately you have to have the other one out first. And then there's going to be the unknowns and electrical gremlins. If this guy wants an easy plug and play and he's a good friend, I would be careful.

I am good with wiring. I have both schematics, and a 75 FSM. If only minor differences, we will wire them in or out of the harness. He has harleys and has rewired motorcycles one strand at a time. I have wired cars from scratch, and modded and traced harnesses, and both of us are familiar with schematics and wiring as we both work in the aviation industry. That stuff is all white wires with tracer numbers. I think we will be fine. 1 year apart shouldent be too different that it cant be modded.

-
Back