What are these and why are they leaking

-

whtmontie

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what these to boxes are? They seem to be leaking some,sticky stuff and I want to replace them if I need them. Thanks you guys have been a big help so far.

20160925_114111.jpg

One is your voltage regulator, the other is the ECU box! I would replace them!!!

One is your voltage regulator, the other is the ECU box! I would replace them!!!
I thought this was the ECU? The voltage regulator does have some markings on it but the one on the fire wall has nothing visible.

20160926_061333.jpg

I believe the technical term is "brain goo".

It's super nasty to remove from painted surfaces.

Usually, but not always, if the goo comes out, the part got too hot and is on it's way out.

Just last week, I noticed the brain I had for my 73 Satellite, which was stored in a box- lost it's goo.

That's a new one on me.

If you ever go to the auto parts store for a new ECU, I suspect your ECU will be a 5 pin with a dual ballast resistor.
They will offer you a 4 pin. It's a drop in replacement. It will just use one of the ballast resistors.
My advice is to try the new box in the parking lot.
I've have gotten junk in the last couple of years that would not even run my daily driver.
I found this two weeks ago and gave it to the manager at my local parts store since his are blue and now junk.

HEI in Mopar ECU casing

So since i took out the egr will it upset anything if i removed the timer delay?
Either 60 or 90 second delay. If you already removed everything, it is not doing anything, but I would check your wiring schematic to be sure another system is not affected.
Something like this

asas.jpg

Appears to be one of the last A-bodies, maybe 1976, w/ 318 V-8. Why not tell us?

Now this is a leaker ECU. It's just been sitting in a box on a shelf for a number of years.........................
ECUleak.jpg

Had a 3690256 ECU right next to it for the same length of time. Still solid..........
ECU3690256.jpg

Sorry. Why not tell us the year, model, and engine when asking such a question? That will help everybody, and you. Your engine bay doesn't look like most A-bodies here.
Sorry i have started about 3 threads and i forgot where i put the year of the car. It is a 75 dart swinger 318 California car. I mention California because they were a little more strict with emissions back then. The car HAD a full egr system w/ A.I.R pump. Why do you think the engine bay does not look like the other A bodies on here?

The timer prevents the EGR system from operating until the car is off choke.
Your referring to the ECT timer? So is it accurate to say that there is 2 timers in the engine bay. The one on the fire wall is removed. The voltage regulator is the one on the fender then there is one just out of the picture farther up on the fender that is the on i am asking if it is the ECT timer. That one is still in the car. I do not know if i need it or not, since the egr system is removed.

-
Back