What are those tiny freeze plugs for?

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
I got a freeze plug kit for my 273 the other day. There are 2 or 3 teeny little plugs that I see no place for on the block. Am I missing something or are they just for a different application?

Also found out my kit didn't have the plugs for the heads. Grrrrrrrrrr :banghead: more shipping costs in my future,,

Those little (probably silver if you got the brass kit) are oil galley plugs. And no, there aren't any head plugs, I'm doing the same thing myself right now.

oil gallery plugs for the front of the engine behind the cam thrust plate..

I'm betting on the galley plugs.

Attachments

• Block at Dewar Machine.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 331
yeah...the freeze plug kit is usually for the block...nothing for the heads..

Hey Tony, while were on the subject, how the heck do you get the oil galley screw in plugs out. Mine have a square head that nothing I have will fit into it.

Have had good luck at my local napa for the odd single plugs, best to know what size when you walk in.

harbor freight sells a kit with difference size square heads for a rachet.

Hey Tony, while were on the subject, how the heck do you get the oil galley screw in plugs out. Mine have a square head that nothing I have will fit into it.

Its an odd size, I had to step on a tool truck to get a set . Was before HF lol

You'da thunk they would have made them with the Allen head like the replacement plugs.

Chris, if you locate the plugs for the heads post up where you found them please.

I have looked to no avail.

harbor freight sells a kit with difference size square heads for a rachet.

Good luck getting those out with harbor freight crap tools. They are usually really tight. Have broke many a snap on socket on those.

Good luck getting those out with harbor freight crap tools. They are usually really tight. Have broke many a snap on socket on those.

I must have a special touch cause they work for me....lol

-
Back