What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Hope you got distilled water, or plan to flush it.

New plugs in the truck went fine except for one terminal that ripped out of one of the plug cables, got that fixed without too much trouble though. I also pulled out about 2 degrees of base timing; she runs like a champ now, very smooth and responsive I'm glad I did the upgrade. And now the ignition system will be ready for when the time comes to swap a built 440 for the mostly-stock 360.

If anyone is looking for a multi-spark Capacitive Discharge box not made by MSD I'd recommend the Pertronix Digital HP, for $240 you get something half the size of a typical MSD box but has 3-step (burnout, launch, fatal) rev limiter and a bunch of other programmable settings like start retard. I believe it's also designed to be incorporated with standalone EFI systems. I've barely put any miles on it so can't say how reliable or long-lasting they are but so far I like it a lot. You can even "bench-program" the box with a typical small 9V battery it's pretty neat.
Thanks! I always use distilled, but they only had drinking water. Luckily, not much leaked out, so I didn't have to add any. I mostly bought the water "just in case" for the drive home. I also drained the entire system, because if you're interested in learning how stupid I am, I neglected to refresh the radiator hoses when I bought the car. The lower has a date stamp of 11/18/85. At least I think that's a date stamp. Either way, the car sat for 20 years before I bought it, so the hoses are at least 20 years old. I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket, because I'm darn lucky this hose didn't burst on the interstate.
1jrbtFmpTEi0Wfoc6YUPLA.jpg

Thanks! I always use distilled, but they only had drinking water. Luckily, not much leaked out, so I didn't have to add any. I mostly bought the water "just in case" for the drive home. I also drained the entire system, because if you're interested in learning how stupid I am, I neglected to refresh the radiator hoses when I bought the car. The lower has a date stamp of 11/18/85. At least I think that's a date stamp. Either way, the car sat for 20 years before I bought it, so the hoses are at least 20 years old. I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket, because I'm darn lucky this hose didn't burst on the interstate.
View attachment 1715858842

Cool just wanted to make sure, I see lots of people with cooling system issues using tap or drinking water and it makes me go "NOOooooo!!" lol.

No joke I bet those circa-1985 hoses are better quality than new ones you get. Even Gates hoses will swell up and get soft after not too long. You should definitely still replace them but don't be surprised if you need to replace them AGAIN in a few years. Buncha BS I can't stand it, everything is junk these days.

typical winter stuff going on here

i was clearing a parking lot yesterday and noticed the hydraulics on the plow were getting a bit lazy

after i got home i gave her a good once over and found one of the hoses had actually worked its way loose
added a pint of fluid and bled the whole system and should be good

ill know in about an hour because things are rather repetitive here

f8f80efbdc414125b08cd2336b96c84a.jpg

Yesterday was 54 degrees, today at this time 11:01 am it us 23, to cold for this old man on the hill.

Yesterday a bunch of measurements and. Cutting, grinding to fit and just tacked in place.

Happy wheels up Wensday to you all this day

FB_IMG_1643118650926.jpg

20220125_174611.jpg

20220125_174708.jpg

20220125_184340.jpg

I think my 3 year old broke my turn signal switch playing with it.... Any recommendations on where to procure one if needed?
there are a couple of threads on the subject and the price differential is pretty huge!

image.jpeg

gotta get that aftermarket chrome wheel to ground to the shaft better too. Doesn't honk every time!

I was working on the fuel system on my 74 dodge truck. It has an Aeromotive in tank pump, with a carburetor bypass regulator. It all kinda gets cluttered on the inner fender there.

1/2” feed and return lines.
I might change it later if I can figure out a better looking configuration.

FE4EBA76-12A1-48B6-801A-4681BE6C54E8.jpeg

978DC03C-ACDC-4B73-A511-A3C385B95F89.jpeg

I think my 3 year old broke my turn signal switch playing with it.... Any recommendations on where to procure one if needed?
there are a couple of threads on the subject and the price differential is pretty huge!

View attachment 1715860313

gotta get that aftermarket chrome wheel to ground to the shaft better too. Doesn't honk every time!
I got a new one through herbsparts for around a hundred bucks. It’s a quality switch but has a couple different color coded wires. Still easily coded to install. I waited quite a while for it because they wouldn’t send me the old suppliers model which they had in stock, due to reported shorting issues with that particular switch. This ones been great for over a year. They’re all a little stiff initially but loosen up with use. Good luck.

I spent a few hours in the garage getting the Sur-Grip I bought from Roy installed. I did new axle seals, foam, and metal gaskets while I had it apart.

Still need to finish installing brakes on one side, bolt up the drive shaft, fill it up with gear oil and friction modifier....and try it out!!!

20220129_175052.jpg

20220129_180846.jpg

20220129_191420.jpg

I was working on the fuel system on my 74 dodge truck. It has an Aeromotive in tank pump, with a carburetor bypass regulator. It all kinda gets cluttered on the inner fender there.

1/2” feed and return lines.
I might change it later if I can figure out a better looking configuration.

View attachment 1715860972

View attachment 1715860973
Nice set up like the engine yes i agree whid you its Always a challange to get it right in the engine bay soo mutch stuff and so litle space

Got the 11”x2.5” brakes assembled. Pulled the 340 out and started cleaning it up. Working on figuring out the pulleys and power steering pump brackets.

A002B1E6-E78C-407D-90D5-1CC63647748E.jpeg

36656085-7F86-4A55-8513-C4529BE9671F.jpeg

Cool, clear weather allowing me to get some painting done. Just working on the trunk, engine bay, door jambs and cabin. I will wait on the exterior body till everything is back on the ground, and I can get some skilled help. My painting skill is not good enough to show off!
20220129_122748.jpg
20220128_152549.jpg

Seam sealed new floor boards but forgot metal wire covers so need to bo back and install, also got the rebuild and freshened K member installed yesterday. Still need to clean and paint torsion bars, torque down some bolts, cam bolt install.
D905822E-CA60-45ED-8F9D-7D3C528E8BB1.jpeg
A76EC322-C99C-4493-94CF-3F1E30870822.jpeg
B2BC231C-6AF3-482A-A3EB-C30474DA8AEE.jpeg
D9FC4250-8AC0-47EF-B09E-78C7BFA9744F.jpeg
1774E432-78EB-4412-976E-08D3A6743404.jpeg

Finished installing the Sur-Grip today. With that done, I've now rebuilt every piece of the drivetrain!! It wasn't a bad project. I took my time making sure backlash was correct. Worse part was putting in the gear oil.

No more one wheel peel, lol.

That looks great! What kind of paint are you using?
Thanks. I'm using PPG Shop Line, JAU (acrylic urethane) single stage stuff. Quite easy to work with, especially for someone like me with no prior painting experience. I have been using a Tasco store for paint and supplies. The guy that works there used to paint in a body shop, and he is very helpful. I gave him all the information I could find on the Mopar color chart, originally called "Sunfire". In a few clicks, he was able to nail it down and mixed about 4 ounces of a sampler for me. I brought it home and shot an area to confirm that it was the right shade, the rest is history. These photos show the color, but they don't show the runs and drips....:rolleyes:. That's why I'm only doing the parts that will be covered with carpet, panels, engine components, etc.

Thanks. I'm using PPG Shop Line, JAU (acrylic urethane) single stage stuff. Quite easy to work with, especially for someone like me with no prior painting experience. I have been using a Tasco store for paint and supplies. The guy that works there used to paint in a body shop, and he is very helpful. I gave him all the information I could find on the Mopar color chart, originally called "Sunfire". In a few clicks, he was able to nail it down and mixed about 4 ounces of a sampler for me. I brought it home and shot an area to confirm that it was the right shade, the rest is history. These photos show the color, but they don't show the runs and drips....:rolleyes:. That's why I'm only doing the parts that will be covered with carpet, panels, engine components, etc.
Hey, don't sell yourself short. You're doing a killer job. Besides, didn't they have runs and orange peel from the factory?

The date gets us all one time or another:)
Maybe Doug will catch us up on his car!!

Thanks for the nudge, I've been going crazy busy in so many directions in the past couple of years that I don't get as much time to engage in some of the leisure things as much as I used to. I got engaged and my fiancé and I both sold our houses in the Twin Cities cities and bought a place together about an hour north on 10 acres in June of 2021. It took a ton of work to get both of our houses ready to sell for great prices so that we could afford to get the kind of new place we wanted. We did good!
But now I've been spending more time getting the new place set up and so the car hobbies have taken a bit of a back seat, though not totally.
Last Fall, I got some new larger tires for the rear of my Barracuda and next I want to get the rear end lowered a little bit. It has the ESPO +1" springs and now I wish I had gotten the stock height. I'll probably order a set of the front spring hangers from Dr. Diff for that. It would be awesome to find someone locally who wanted to swap for a great set of stock height springs but I won't hold my breath for that.
Anyways, here's a few pics. :)

Cheers!
-Doug
20210617_074828.jpg
20210617_084124.jpg
20210617_105238.jpg
20210710_134017.jpg
20210714_133217.jpg
20210717_233100.jpg
20210725_001218.jpg
20210820_225814.jpg
20210821_103639-01.jpeg