What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
Did that come with 5 Lug for the wheels????? Or was it converted to 5-Lug?
We converted the front end to a 77 chevy truck front end with drop spindles and a 31 spline 9" ford rear end

Those look like the power steering fittings on all the late model "metric" stuff. The o-ring goes in the groove behind the last thread of that male fitting. O-ring kind of gets crushed into the groove and into the chamfer on the 1st thread of the female part. Supposed to be good for 1000 psi or something.

OK. Interesting that you mention "power steering". One fitting I did try unsuccessfully was listed as a PS fitting. It didn't have the O ring you described (pictured) and the fitting was turned in to the female bit as far as it would go, but never bottomed out on the O ring at the base of it.

As I mentioned above, I went with Teflon washers, but if those leak, I will keep this in mind. So...would that just be an "18mm O Ring"? I never saw washers, O rings, gaskets, wads of gum or anything on any Vendor webpage described as the right one for this job.....

20171124_124339.jpg

OK. Interesting that you mention "power steering". One fitting I did try unsuccessfully was listed as a PS fitting. It didn't have the O ring you described (pictured) and the fitting was turned in to the female bit as far as it would go, but never bottomed out on the O ring at the base of it.

As I mentioned above, I went with Teflon washers, but if those leak, I will keep this in mind. So...would that just be an "18mm O Ring"? I never saw washers, O rings, gaskets, wads of gum or anything on any Vendor webpage described as the right one for this job.....

View attachment 1715118507
No, on my metric steering box with these "JIC x Metric" fittings the o-ring goes in the groove. There is also a thin washer that goes there (usually). You'll have to find a thin o-ring that fits on the O.D. of the groove.
201720171206_01.jpg

Here is a place that has lots of oddball fittings. Look at the JIC X METRIC ones:
Metric Fittings

I found something very similar in an Earls catalog:
949008.jpg

90 Degree -6 AN Male to 12mm x 1.25 Swivel

Put a temp sender into my steel tranny pan, and sold the aluminum pan I was originally going to use on Craigslist to a guy from Saskatchewan.

Always good when I sell surplus parts to build a wee bit of pressure back up in the 4" money hose I occasionally spray at the car...

100_7718.JPG

20171202_115540_zpszphi9lkr.jpg

20171202_140020_zpshbjjneqm.jpg

20171203_153343_zpsibmzoftq.jpg

20171205_163621_zps6lo9gyg5.jpg

Fenderwells out, old 318 out and 360 in!

Also changed out PS box to manual box from the 64. What a difference in weight and size!

Now working on removing all the wiring and mounting everything in the passenger kick panel.

What am I doing to my car today. Watching it slowly age, that's about it.

What I should be doing is mounting my elec fuel pump, wiring, fuel lines, etc.

Had the day off from work today and have been itching to do something. Figured I'd get the car up in the air and take a look at the rear which is noisy when driving. Planned on pulling the axles and the pumpkin. After removing the axles I didn't need to go any further. Both axle bearings were in bad shape and the adjuster located on the passenger side was half gone . Since I had a body axles I purchased a while ago from a fellow FABO member local to me here in CT that had brand new green bearings installed I cleaned them up and installed them. Because I am a purist when possible I like to leave things the way they came so I removed the left hand studs from the old drivers side axle and installed them on the new one. I also recently had the original rear drums turned at a shop and I gave them a fresh coat of paint and also painted the face of the drums. Probably not the correct shade of red but they came out nice and look great. It'll be a while before I can test my work since winter hasn't even begun but it was a productive day.

Last edited:
Well I decided to pull my finger out and fit up my rocker stud Girdle as I'm selling this motor in the new year making way for the stroker. Man these lock nuts sit tall, needed to remove rocker baffles to allow for clearance.

IMG_2061.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

Sometimes I go out by myself and I look across the water. ...

Out driving around by myself at 5am on my only day off. ....

Jeff

Last edited:
Found a lower Rad hose that fit good and put it in. A Delco 22096 (cross references with the Gates 20958) was a mess, but this Continental 60898 tucked in there real nice.

20171218_131806.JPG

Then I got my B&M Megashifter cable all adjusted and tightened down. Had to monkey around with the bracket a little bit and add an extra hole, but it looks and works good now. Had to bring the cable down on the Pass. side of the Bellhousing and then across in front of the dust shield to avoid the headers, starter etc. Sure wish I worked out all the picky details with the Tranny and the Shifter cable before I put the 408/727 in the car. Live and Learn.

20171218_161342.JPG

AND just sold a manual steering box for a bit of extra cash (NOT for Christmas; more car parts!!)

Next step: Get the Tranny cooler lines figured out.

Well I had most of last weekend free and all I got done was breaking down my engine hoist and getting it out of the garage so I have room to work. And then I laid out all the parts for my next project. New 3/8” fuel pickup electric carter pump, new hardline to the engine bay, and a pump relay and wiring. New gas tank will be here in a couple days. This is the last thing I need to do to finish up my 5.9 swap and get the car on the road. But for some reason I just can’t seem to get my *** out to the garage to finish it. Lack of motivation, energy, something.

A2B6C7EC-DADB-44F0-9368-8FCD647B5A83.jpeg

I finally have time off. Started putting hydraulic fluid in my jack and engine hoist. I also made some shims to lift my engine up as my TTI shorties were laying on my Borgeson box.

I'm going to start cleaning up my filthy shop trying to get organized AGAIN....

Got my pellet stove working and my little propane heater blasting away.... gotta get to 50-ish before this old man gets to work.

front of shop 2006.jpg

-
Back