What are you using ?

-

hotrodhoodlum

X Nostalgia Drag Racer
Reaction score
What are you using for oil in your Race Car .Weight ? Synthetic? Regular oil ? I have a 360 pushing about 475 HP it a new engine with about 3 hours on it . I did not build the motor it was all ready in the car when I bought it . When hot right now its at 25 LB oil pressure at idle in gear 1000 rpm . But when going its at 50 lbs . I tried Royal Purple and was not impressed with it at 10 bucks a quart . Lucas seems pretty good idea . Or I usually run in all my cars 20/50/Castrol with 1 bottle of Lucus Oil Additive . Im just not sure with a new engine using a Synthetic .

Thanks Tommy

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 358
  • 014.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 015.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 352
I use what ever it takes to get good oil pressure. For example, right now my car has Royal Purple 10-40 with a HP1 filter. This gets me ~25#'s at idle and ~70#'s at WOT. I have tired a few different combos of oil and filters, but this is what worked on my car. I have also used 15-40 diesel oil too, but I wanted to see if the Royal Purple would do anything for the ET's....and it ran about the same.

Side note: You will probably have oil running down the back of your motor after a few hard launches at the track with that breather on the back of the valve cover.

I run Brad Penn 10-30 about 40lbs at idle and 75-80 WOT.

Attachments

• Jesse (1).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 331
You only need to go as fast as your ego demands. On a flat tappet motor, it is much less expensive to use 10-30 or 10-40 with a zinc additive. My 67 Barracuda ran 11.08 on a hot day at Bakersfield in 02. My buddy ran 10.95 at Vegas in a 70 Dart this year. Both motors are 360's with 30 weight dino oil with Hughes additive. Both engines have 70 lbs when on it and 30 at idle hot

10-30/10-40/ or 20-50 depending on how hot it is where you live...

and run VR1, or brad penn... its half the cost of royal purple and has all the good stuff in it...

When i had my 340 built by a guy that builds pulling motors i asked if i could use shell rotella 15/40 as my oil. He stated that i could not only use it as a break in oil but continue to use it as a everyday oil . It has zinc and all the other things that a motor needs . I know after 43 years of trucking all the big truck engine builders use it and they all can't be that wrong. Just my opinion that's my oil and i'm sticking with it.

i ran standard oil in my 440 never an issue.
Stroked to 500 ran standard oil-thought break was made switched to redline lost the ring now dead in the water.
If the block is not gone and i can get it back together i will only run standard oil forever.

Rotella T6 Synthetic 5w40. I don't run it because of the zinc content, but because I can run a premium synthetic for about as much as conventional oil. Compared to other synthetics it's about 10 bucks per gallon cheaper.

quaker state 10-40 with hughes zinc additive...idle 30 lbs and around 70 lbs at wide open throttle..

Amsoil has a wide variety of synthetic, high zinc oils to choose from. Personally I use their Dominator 5w-20, but I probably have tighter clearances. I honestly forgot what my hot, idle pressure is, but I get a max about 70 the lights. I've seen idle increases when switching from conventional break-in oils of 15w-40 and straight 30w or 40w to the 5w-20 Amsoil synthetic! Amsoil now has their own break-in oil, but I haven't tried it yet.

Personally, I think 20w-50 is a bit much and would try of 10w-30 or 15w-40. But today even diesel oils have less zinc than they use to to varying degrees so you can't take that for granted. The higher zinc content oils tend to advertise the fact, but do some research.

As Bob S. suggested, stick with conventional oil untill the engine is well broken-in.

High zinc Amsoil synthetics & zinc technical service bulletin:

[ame]http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/motoroil/tsb%20mo-2007-08-08%20flat%20tappet.pdf[/ame]

Amsoil source and other info:

http://www.thelubepage.com/

Brad Penn 10w-30. 40lbs (at idle 1500rpm) 60 to 70 cold

"What oil" threads always go all over the spectrum. Lots of good products with lots of good results out there.
I think the biggest factor is: Synthetic does a lot better job than dino.

Go with Amsoil synthetic oil with zinc after it's well broken in.
Do not use synthetic oil until the engine has about 1000 miles on it to be sure the rings are seated.
It's pricey, but it is the best as far as i know.
You should have a minimum of 10 lbs oil pressure for each 1000 rpm of engine speed as a rule of thumb.

I run Castrol 10W40 in my small block, and have 40 PSI minimum at idle and 70 PSI minimum at 6500 RPM.

IMO change those filters!! Fram?? haven't read any of the posts on here about fram filters?? I use 10w-30 and Rislone since I have flat tappet cam you didnt say what you have in your motor, it is not as big of deal what you use for oil if your motor has a roller cam vs flat tappet. Valvoline Durablend is $4.98 a quart here and it's 1/2 dino 1/2 synthetic.

Attachments

• durablend.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 194
  • rislone additive.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 208
I use this, its the best racing oil on the market.

pennzoilracing.jpg

When i had my 340 built by a guy that builds pulling motors i asked if i could use shell rotella 15/40 as my oil. He stated that i could not only use it as a break in oil but continue to use it as a everyday oil . It has zinc and all the other things that a motor needs . I know after 43 years of trucking all the big truck engine builders use it and they all can't be that wrong. Just my opinion that's my oil and i'm sticking with it.

The problem with diesel oil is that it is formulated for low RPM engines(diesel). We have seen on the dyno that at higher RPMs(over 6000) the oil starts to foam and that is no good. Now from using 10w 30 to 25w 50 there is a lose of horsepower of about 3 to 5 hp but the motors that use the 10w 30 need alot more work at freshen up time than the motors that ran the 25w 50.

I run Valvoline 20/50. Part number VV851. Says right on the bottle "NOT FOR STREET USE". Has lots of goodness inside (zinc and more). Oil filter is a K & N. I like the little nut on the back. Makes it easier to take off.

I run Valvoline 20/50. Part number VV851. Says right on the bottle "NOT FOR STREET USE". Has lots of goodness inside (zinc and more). Oil filter is a K & N. I like the little nut on the back. Makes it easier to take off.

Last year at Autolite Nationals the Vavoline booth was selling the not street legal oil for 4.00 a Qt. I'm swooping on some of that this year if they are out there again.

-
Back