What Are Your Plans For Your Black Friday Speedmaster Purchase?

-

12many

Reaction score
Sure seems like a lot of interest and discussion on these heads even though they've been around for quite a few years. So if you've bought a set, what are your plans for them? Are you sourcing the valve components for the bare or cnc versions? Using the fully assembled ones as is? Changing anything? What rocker arms are you planning on using? Now that I have my assembled as cast heads I'm having second thoughts on what I want to use them on. I've got a set of Erson 1.6 rollers w/shafts I may use on them depending on what I put them on.

Last edited:
I'm kicking myself for not buying a head. I'd have cut it up and had a look at the guts.

I'm pissed I didn't do it.

Sure seems like a lot of interest and discussion on these heads even though they've been around for quite a few years. So if you've bought a set, what are your plans for them? Are you sourcing the valve components for the bare or cnc versions? Using the fully assembled ones as is? Changing anything? What rocker arms are you planning on using? Now that I have my assembled as cast heads I'm having second thoughts on what I want to use them on. I've got a set of Erson 1.6 rollers w/shafts I may use on them depending on what I put them on, and I may also have the guy on Faceplant in the Charlotte area (Larry @ Flowtech2? ) work them over.... decisions decisions!
I bought big block and small block heads.... how do I know what I'm doing??? LOL

The sale goes till the end of the month. Buy one and bandsaw that *****!

My plan?

7.5-1 comp, bare heads, ported by my buddy and fully race prep. 10 pounds of boost from a roots blower on 91 octane.

Long arm stroker and GO!

I got a set of fully assembled BB heads, non-CNC version. I will go through them to make sure they are decently set up, then they will go on the 383 waiting for the 69 Dart I crave but can't find. Just a fun and strong street car.

I'm going to home port mine, change the springs and locks and throw them on my j headed 340. We'll see what they do.

I’m curious to see if there is water in the bottom of the intake runner. My sonic checker is broken so I may have to see if I can fix it.

The sale goes till the end of the month. Buy one and bandsaw that *****!

My plan?

7.5-1 comp, bare heads, ported by my buddy and fully race prep. 10 pounds of boost from a roots blower on 91 octane.

Long arm stroker and GO!
Are you speaking of the 40% sale still going on.I emailed them early this week because it was off the site for the sb heads and they told me no go,you got an inside line?

I wonder if some of the guys here who can port heads in their sleep would go ahead and then make templates for these SM heads, and share them with the rest of us........that sounds like a great idea to me!! No need to be all secretive here!:poke:

I plan to take them (assembled, non-cnc) out of the box and bolt them to the engine. We shall see...

I’m curious to see if there is water in the bottom of the intake runner. My sonic checker is broken so I may have to see if I can fix it.
I'm not sure if this is an acceptable backwoods method for checking but I was able to snake a long piece of safety wire in from larger and small coolant passages and it definitely goes under the intake runners that I checked. I assume thickness of material is the concern

I’ll also be watching what they do with them.

Im going to wish they made a W2 style head, maybe with a raised port that takes either a w2 or bb offset intake rocker.

33C92C54-E641-4D90-8528-39672EA37CBE.jpeg
Well if I leave out one word in your post title I come up with “What are you going to do with your Black Friday purchase. Hmmmmm
Well I ordered myself a new shop chair are my fat azz fell out of my old one three times. Built it today and my butt feels great in it. Lol.

View attachment 1715435042 Well if I leave out one word in your post title I come up with “What are you going to do with your Black Friday purchase. Hmmmmm
Well I ordered myself a new shop chair are my fat azz fell out of my old one three times. Built it today and my butt feels great in it. Lol.
As long as you wrench on your car standing up you should be good because it doesn't look like you have much room to roll around while seated in that chair:poke:

As long as you wrench on your car standing up you should be good because it doesn't look like you have much room to roll around while seated in that chair:poke:
That's his new head porting chair. :D

I don't have room in the garage/shop for a stool, much less a napping chair like that.

From what I hear from pro engine builders...guides are junk as are the valves/springs. Best to buy bare and have a good engine guy fix what is broke.

I'd be wary of the heat treat... other Chinese brands have issues with that. Not sure what foundry casts these heads. The guys Downunder have a very bad taste from ProComp/Speedmaster stuff.

From what I hear from pro engine builders...guides are junk as are the valves/springs. Best to buy bare and have a good engine guy fix what is broke.

I'd be wary of the heat treat... other Chinese brands have issues with that. Not sure what foundry casts these heads. The guys Downunder have a very bad taste from ProComp/Speedmaster stuff.
Most should be aware of all that, and take into account and weigh the odds.....Saw/read and heard the same sentiments when it came to many Chinese aftermarket parts for sport bikes myself so I be well aware.
So what are your plans for the heads you bought on black Friday??:poke:

-
Back