what butyl to use

-

ptbill

Reaction score
Going to install front and rear glass in my 65 Barracuda. What should I use? The Butyl in the caulking tube or in 1/4" tape. Thanks in advance. By the way this is the best forum for a bodies, lots of good info.
Bill

I've done several 73s and 74s,
I don't know if yours is the same, but I would guess it is.
No plumbers putty for me.
I cleaned and repainted the window channel.
Then used black polyurethane roofing caulk from Home Depot.
This.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/...345&KPID=1045254&kpid=1045254&pla=pla_1045254
Set the rubber in it. Installed the glass and cleaned the excess with mineral spirits.
By doing this I've been able to change the glass later without the gasket moving.

I use several rounded and smoothed putty knives to show horn them in and out.
Just don't twist them. Other than that they seem pretty tough.
I just bought some white yesterday for a drip rail redo.
Every thing on the shelf there except this was water based.
BTY, I also reused my old gaskets but kept the stretched between some post with a come a long until time to put them in.
The old ones don't seem to go bad but they do draw up once removed.

I had very good success with PTI 707 found on ebay. Easy to apply, easy to clean up. I had installed new seals for the windshield and for the rear glass - without sealant of any kind. Both leaked badly when it rained. After a little research, I found this product. I removed the stainless trim, but did not remove the glasses, then ran a bead all around both windows - between the rubber seals and the body. Then let it cure for a few days, put some water on it to make sure I had a good seal. Had to re-touch a couple of spots. Reinstalled the stainless trim. Worked great.

-
Back