what calipers do I need????

-

Chris Martin

Norton
Reaction score
I recently found a set of spindles with upper control arms to put disc brakes on my 70 duster BUT they didn't come with the hubs, rotors, or calipers. Seemed like a good deal at the time of purchase but now I don't know what calipers or size of rotors I need. Also, will I need to find different hubs or can I use my old ones (small B/P)? Thanks in advance

It will be a big help to let us know if the spindles that you purchased are the 65-72 disc brake spindles, for the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers, or the 73-76 spindles for single piston calipers, on the A body cars.

thats the reason for this thread. I am trying to find out what calipers and rotors I nees to order. Is there something to measure or pics to identify which ones I have? I bought them at a swap meet from a lady who's husband stepped away from the booth and she didn't know. There were too many other people looking at them to pass up the deal but now I have this dilema

Chris,take some pics of all you have then post them up.It,s hard to tell what you have without seeing them.

Ok then.
Now i guess i can help you out.
The first picture is what 73-76 A body disc brake spindles look like.
Picture number two, is 65-72 A body disc brake spindles for the 4 piston calipers.

Attachments

• Spindles 73-76 A & E Body's 004 (Small).JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 164
  • A Body Disc Brakes #25 010 (Small).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 165
OK here are some pics

Attachments

• brake spindles 005.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 164
  • brake spindles 004.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 176
  • brake spindles 003.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 169
  • brake spindles 002.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 145
  • brake spindles 001.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 156
You have 73-76 A body disc brakes.
So, order up rotors for any 73-76 A body car.
Rotors are a one piece design.
Buy calipers for a 76 A body car, as they use a 2.750 diameter piston, as the 73, 74, 75, cars use a piston of 2.600 diameter. Slightly smaller.
Brake hoses for any A body car.
And i guess new control arm bushings, and ball joints for those upper control arms, while you have everything on the work bench.

Looks like the ones i have on mine...Parts arent expensive.73/76 single caliper

Attachments

• HPIM0526.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 006.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 007.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 189
is there an advantage to mounting the caliper on the front vs. the rear? also steel piston or Phenolic Piston

The factory mounted the calipers to the Front on the 73-76 A body cars.
No advantage, or dis-advantage, to either the front, or the rear.
Do you have a Sway Bar on your 1970?
Guys mount the calipers to the rear, if the sway bar has clearance issues.
If no sway bar, just install everything in the factory position, then you won't have to worry about using different brake hoses.

You will be buying rebuilt calipers anyway, and i guess most likely they will be steel pistoned, but i guess that's going to be dependent on the rebuilder.

-
Back