What Cam and lifter set for stock 1965 273?

-

Captainseapig

Reaction score
I have 65 273cid in my Barracuda. After talking with Mopar mechanic I have discovered that someone may have put hydraulic lifters in my solid lifter cam
engine. I could not adjust the valves properly no matter how I tried . I haven't taken the engine apart yet to verify. Lets say I take it apart and it's true. What would be an appropriate cam and lifter set to install? I would like to increase HP a little. Maybe go from the 2 barrel to a 4. Any suggestions?

I'm placing my order this week to Clay Smith Cams for their C265 solid lifter cam and lifter set. Got a .440" lift, 265*. Out the door with tax and shipping and two cool Mr. Horsepower stickers to the bay area for $350. This for a '66 273 Commando motor.

if you plan on getting a 4 barrel id start shopping for the intake right now unless your going aftermarket there getting rare and expensive if you want a set of camando hi po heads i have a set for sale right now for 250.00 plus the ride

There is no such thing as "Hi-Po Commando " 273 heads...all 273 heads are the same...2 or 4 barrel. The higher compression of the Commando/Charger 273 comes from the pistons (domed). . Now if you want to replace the heads, I'd go with a pair of redone "'302" castings. With a 4 bbl carb and intake, I'd go Isky E-4 cam(closest to orig Commando solid cam available now). PM "toolmanmike" for his opinions...he has one.

Here's what is in my 273 with an eddy performer intake and 650. 6 months of driving it every day and I couldn't be happier. Schneider Cams

b8b1f502-1.jpg

The Dart Charger 273 cam (4 bbl, Hi-Po ) had a lift of .425 I/E, 248º duration, and 46º overlap.

IMHO there are a number of factors in selecting a cam.

• Intended use of the car
  • Desired power rpm range
  • Desired torque rpm range
  • Carburetion
  • Cylinder head modifications
  • Valve spring pressure
  • Axle ratio
For help with this try this link http://www.camquest.com

If you want to go to a hydraulic cam, you may want to consider the 340 repro cam at Mopar Performance. It's a bit more aggressive than the stock Charger/Commando mechanical cam IIRC the lift is .441

Keep in mind the '64 and '65 273 heads have a different bolt angle for the intake than the later engines. You'll either need an intake for 64-5 engines or you'll have to egg out the holes on the intake so the later intake fits.

-
Back