What cam for a 325HP 360?

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
Just looking for ideas about a cam for my 360. I've yet to build a 360 (or have built). I really want to drive the car a bit. EFI, 9:1 or 9.5:1 compression max. Pump gas. 3.23 gears are probably the steepest I'll put in it. 4 speed transmission. 73 Duster. I'm not 100% sure on the intake. Stock rocker ratio. Probably run stock mild ported steel heads. For sure running headers. What else do you need to know ?

360 @ 9.0-1, headers & the replacement 340 cam.
Everything else stock.

It's really not that hard to get 1 horsepower for every cubic inch. In your case, you want less by about 35 horses, so it won't take much. 9 to 1 compression, mild cam, 4 bbl with headers and you'll about be there. Or you could cut the heads .040 and do mild home porting with the cam/headers/4bbl and be there.

Heeeeeyyyy, I forgot all about that right up! Sharp eyes will recognize the cams specs as one I often recommend for the type of build the OP is seeking. The 340 replacement cam I mention has an extra 10* duration.

And no, the engine doesn't need much in the way of big work to get it done. At 360 cubes, it should relatively easy to make this kind of power.

Notice how the engine lost power with the Performer and quadrajet? A number of have said it many times before, the OE intake and a TQ are not slouches! And excellent for this kind of build and stronger. For some, they come stock. For those that don't have them stock, there inexpensive & easy to rebuild.

Take a look ,at a Crower 31916 grind..112 lobe centers,269/282 advertised,224,230-ish @ .050" ,.480"/.494" lift on a 1.5 ratio.. Used three of these, personally... Tuned right,the grind can pass smog sniffers, seen several combinations run low 13's to mid 12's ,in 340/360 powered a bodies...pocket ported 1.88 /1.60 j castings,work really well ,with this grind..(honest opine,tail lights of these combinations,were more than I expected...)

Try to calm down. I'm asking why his target goal is so low.
LMAO, stop Assuming I'm reved up.
What's wrong With wanting 325hp?
Why does it have to be more?
Why is it you short sell his goal and the engines performance level as a underachiever?
Does he "NEED" 400hp as a respectable level or approval from someone?

Just looking for ideas about a cam for my 360. I've yet to build a 360 (or have built). I really want to drive the car a bit. EFI, 9:1 or 9.5:1 compression max. Pump gas. 3.23 gears are probably the steepest I'll put in it. 4 speed transmission. 73 Duster. I'm not 100% sure on the intake. Stock rocker ratio. Probably run stock mild ported steel heads. For sure running headers. What else do you need to know ?

Just curious, why is 325 hp the goal?

Nothing wrong with 325 hp make an awesome daily driver 0.9:1 hp:cid. 71 340 is said to make an actual 320-330 hp so following that recipe will get you about there. Don't forget 340 only makes 9.5:1 CR if your copying.

340 cam is about on par with Comps Xe250h so 256 or 262 is a step up (or similar cam) with out needing deep gears and high stall.

I'll say 325 is easily had without the pain of headers, or replacing pistons. Just shave the heads .030, add a cam around .455-.470 lift/218-228 duration @50, and a dual plane intake with a nice working 4bbl, and he'd be mighty close. To be sure, I'd mildly home port/gasket match the heads. Done.

400 would require headers, and most likely a better piston for compression.

I'll say 325 is easily had without the pain of headers, or replacing pistons. Just shave the heads .030, add a cam around .455-.470 lift/218-228 duration @50, and a dual plane intake with a nice working 4bbl, and he'd be mighty close. To be sure, I'd mildly home port/gasket match the heads. Done.

400 would require headers, and most likely a better piston for compression.

400 can be done with hp manifolds and the stock 9-1 pistons. It's all in the valve job and mild porting, cam choice, tuning. Smart choices will get it done, don't need to throw much money at it.

edit: After reading OP's request again he's definitely running headers, so moot point on the manifolds.

325 can be "quicker" street light to street light w/stock tires
maybe more driveable,easy starting,smooth idle, better gas mileage.

You can make a 400 hp 360 car hook up just as well as a 325 hp one, and thus be "quicker" street light to street light. If lowering your power expectations is your way to be quicker, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:
They didn't come with stock 9-1 pistons. Factory compression on most LA 360's would barely cross 8 to 1. Yes, 400 hp can be made with HP manifolds. I assume your talking the early year (1968) 340 manifolds. They cost $$. 400 hp can be made with lesser expensive manifolds, but it's harder.
The Op has asked for recommendations. Please post yours. Just throwing out "go for 400 horse" isn't much help. Post a recipe, because I too would be interested. Give the pistons you would use to get your 400 hp, your cam, your heads (and work done to them), what exhaust manifolds, and where it would make it's power (rpm range). Will it work with 3.23 gears? The op probably doesn't want a high stall either.

They didn't come with stock 9-1 pistons. Factory compression on most LA 360's would barely cross 8 to 1. Yes, 400 hp can be made with HP manifolds. I assume your talking the early year (1968) 340 manifolds. They cost $$. 400 hp can be made with lesser expensive manifolds, but it's harder.
The Op has asked for recommendations. Please post yours. Just throwing out "go for 400 horse" isn't much help. Post a recipe, because I too would be interested. Give the pistons you would use to get your 400 hp, your cam, your heads (and work done to them), what exhaust manifolds, and where it would make it's power (rpm range). Will it work with 3.23 gears? The op probably doesn't want a high stall either.

I asked why 325 hp is his goal, pointless to explain if he wants to limit himself.

As for a 325 hp goal, it's really simple. Good performance valve job, mild porting, headers, stock 340 cam, electronic ignition, performer RPM, any good working 4 barrel carb but for best mileage find a thermoquad or quadrajet. If you're not making 325 hp with that, something's wrong.

Last edited:
Guys I came up with 325 or so because I'm trying to find a balance between mileage, power and reliability. More so mileage and drivability. My 70' Dart that Hensley racing built the engine for made 412 rwhp. I still have the car and it's fun but it's too much for a car I plan to really drive. Manifolds huh. How much HP can they make out with? I wouldn't have guessed that exhaust manifolds for a 360 would have flower much.

I never said anything about drag racing or being faster light to light. Just want some good reliable HP.

You can make a 400 hp 360 car hook up just as well as a 325 hp one, and thus be "quicker" street light to street light. If lowering your power expectations is your way to be quicker, you're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

a friend had a 375 hp 408 and with tires a bit above stock size in his Dart he got excessive wheel spin in any gear at most any speed.
a 340 Swinger on stock tires would usually beat most big block or hi hp cars back in the day in a short street race..everything was just well matched up.
A 325 hp A body with a short duration stock style cam is just a nice all round package and does not need a converter or tall gears like you sometimes need in a higher hp car

You can make a 400 hp 360 car hook up just as well as a 325 hp one, and thus be "quicker" street light to street light. If lowering your power expectations is your way to be quicker, you're doing it wrong.

a friend had a 375 hp 408 and with tires a bit above stock size in his Dart he got excessive wheel spin in any gear at most any speed.
a 340 Swinger on stock tires would usually beat most big block or hi hp cars back in the day in a short street race..everything was just well matched up.
A 325 hp A body with a short duration stock style cam does not need a converter or tall gears like you sometimes need in a higher hp car

You can't just stick slightly bigger street radials on and expect it to hook up with decent power. There's stock suspension tweaks that make a huge difference.

(fixed the quotes for ya)

-
Back