What Cam is fo me?

-
That thought did cross my mind after reading other disastrous threads on this forum but I can confirm that I was running my motor on a fully synthetic oil with no additives and I can also confirm that I will never be doing that again LOL! There are thousands of engines on the road today quite happily running flat tappets so I am fighting the paranoia and will try another flat tappet cam.

I think that's a wise decision. I've never recommended synthetic oil for a flat tappet. My reasoning is that synthetics flow so well, that they can actually lose or make the oil film so thin that it compromises the part. I can give first hand proof just how much better synthetics flow than standard carbon oils. I've run synthetic myself in the past. On a 360 with around 25K miles, i made the switch. The oil flowed so well that i developed a rear main seal leak. i switched back to carbon oil and it disappeared. Maybe the seal was weak, i don't know....but i do know it leaked with synthetic and not with carbon based oil. I've also seen similar instances from othere, so there must be something to it.

not necessarily. the reason for most lobe and lifter failures now is the lack of zinc in motor oils now. as long as you run a good zinc additive, you'll be fine with a flat tappet.

Thanks for the input StrokerScamp! I think that was my problem and so another expensive lesson learned although I was itching for an excuse to pull that thing apart and that is as good a reason as any I can think of LOL!

I'd do this one myself with yourset up.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Product_Code=20-223-3&Category_Code=LACAMHFXE

It has slighty less duration on the intake for more torque and the split of the longer exhaust will help it breath (Exhale) better.

Just placed my order, Atlantic Speed, $185.00 shipped Cam & lifters. (Don't need anyone to find better price THANK YOU!)

Thanks to you and everyone who contributed, this is a great place for people like me and I hope one day I can contribute and help someone out just like you guys did.

Bobby

That's a good cam choice. You'll like it. it has a difinite noticable idle and it'll suck some headlights out. I really like mild cammed engines. they're a blast on the bottom end. That's why I'm doin mine the same way. That cam is on my short list,in fact.

-
Back