What Cam is fo me?

-

ALBA73

Reaction score
Hello Mopar Guru's!!!!!

Recently I lost a lifter in my engine and (Joy!) also one of the lobes on my cam so I decided it was time for a complete rebuild. I am now at the point where I am looking for a replacement cam shaft and although I did like the cam that was in the car, I did not build that motor so I would like to hear other opinions from the people that Know.

My basic setup is as follows.

LA 318 .060 over
KB Pistons
Edelbrock 600 cfm performer carb and intake.
Hookers with dual pipes
2500 or 2800 stall (cant remember)
904 with shift kit
8 3/4 rear 3.70 Gearing
Not sure about compression

The cam I had was a Comp Cam 20-232-4, wasn't too severe so something a little more lumpy wouldn't be a problem and maybe something with a little more low/mid oomph!

http://www.compperformancegroupstor..._Code=CC&Product_Code=20-232-4&Category_Code=

I do not run the strip but my boots do get a little heavy some times #-o

Bobby.

That 280H is a big cam for that 318. If you are looking for a raspy idle something like the 20-600-4 (Thumpr) will get that idle. But itn terms of reliability I'd be looking at something like the XE268. A step further (and harsher idle) may be the XE274H. I ran a mild 318 for years on the High Energy 268H. It had a noticable idle and pulled to 6K+. Another choice might be the Lunati 60402. With any new cam choice you'll want to verify the springs on the engine are up to the job.

I'd do this one myself with yourset up.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Product_Code=20-223-3&Category_Code=LACAMHFXE

It has slighty less duration on the intake for more torque and the split of the longer exhaust will help it breath (Exhale) better.

Rumble, thank you for the reply! how would the 280H compare to the 20-600-4 (Thumpr) in performance? Do you think I would see a dramatic difference throughout the full range between each of these cams?

That 280H is a big cam for that 318. If you are looking for a raspy idle something like the 20-600-4 (Thumpr) will get that idle. But itn terms of reliability I'd be looking at something like the XE268. A step further (and harsher idle) may be the XE274H. I ran a mild 318 for years on the High Energy 268H. It had a noticable idle and pulled to 6K+. Another choice might be the Lunati 60402. With any new cam choice you'll want to verify the springs on the engine are up to the job.

Thanks for your reply Moper! I am thinking that I might like the Thumpr but not sure how it will compare to the 280H on performance...all I want is EVERYTHING! LOL!!!

I agree with Rumblefish,thats an excellent cam in a 318,a friend of mine runs it in his with great result..

Need to know the current compression ratio before selecting a cam, coz you could be wasting a cam or an engine.
If it has 10:1 CR, a cam around the 30/70-35/75, 0.500"-0.525" lift mark, with 2* advance on the cam, run on 98RON, with 14* initial ignition timing, and recurved dizzy with HEI....be all sweet.......but it depends on how far you want to go.

I'm not sure. IF you had all the specs of the engine(And head flow abilties would be great) I could run it through a program (Desk Top Dyno) for a compare. It has a good bit more exhaust duration and a little bit more on the intake.

I like the Crane above, but the 114 C-line will not have a choopy idle you desire.
IMO, Horseheads cam is to big, it will lack the low end torque your looking for and I myself would use the 340 replacement cam if it were to be a purple cam, but his cam can move a car!

I think everyone has a good idea on a cam. Mopers is a good choice that'll have a nice thumping idle to it.

Sorry. i missed the part about the thumpin idle. whenever i give a cam recommendation, I shoot for the one that'll run like a scalded dawg. I will say this about the cam i recommended. I ran one in a totally stock 360 in a 71 dart other than headers. even had a 340 iron intake and a thermoquad. it was an 8.5 to 1 motor...but, because of that camshaft, I had 170 PSI cranking cylinder pressure. That's up there. when it was cold, it had a slight bump. when it warmed up, it smoothed out some. a trained ear could tell it wasnt quite stock. I had a stout 904 and 3.23 gears in that car and it ran a best of 12.98 with slicks. That joker knew it would run. I bet it would have a slight bump in a 318 all the time. the thing about the wide lobe centers is, it will help keep cylinder pressure up. That's good in a street car. in the end, cam it like you want it. that's all that counts.

He he he, I did say I liked your cam though and that aint no lie. I've used several Cranes before. There smoother idle from the wider centerline is what I liked about'em. They did deliver the good though.

I remember a freind ran Horseheads suggestion. He also had a good bit of stall and gear to back it up well. WHEW! Run it did!

He he he, I did say I liked your cam though and that aint no lie. I've used several Cranes before. There smoother idle from the wider centerline is what I liked about'em. They did deliver the good though.

I remember a freind ran Horseheads suggestion. He also had a good bit of stall and gear to back it up well. WHEW! Run it did!

Well, somtimes when I answer a question, I just stab in there what "I" would do instead of what they asked for. LOL not that my answer is better than the next...just different. I've built enough ground rumblers to last a lifetime. I just want sumthin that'll run smooth, and smoke the hides on command. i may run that crane in my bb stroker. I think it would make more power than the magnum cam. now if i can just find a non egr spread bore intake for a 400.

Because Alba already lost a lifter and cam would you guys recommend a roller instead? I have made my mind up to replace my flat tappet cam with a roller if I have a failure. toolman

OE iron or something like a modded LD340?

Toolman, I'm so following your leed on the next build. Roller baby! The expense is the only draw back. And I'm willing. It'll be done to the big block if I have it my way. (400)

Because Alba already lost a lifter and cam would you guys recommend a roller instead? I have made my mind up to replace my flat tappet cam with a roller if I have a failure. toolman

not necessarily. the reason for most lobe and lifter failures now is the lack of zinc in motor oils now. as long as you run a good zinc additive, you'll be fine with a flat tappet.

OE iron or something like a modded LD340?(400)

I'd love to find an OE iron spread bore intake. Gonna be tough because as far as I know, only one year (1972) was made. NON EGR at least.

Stroker, if you take any later 400 intake and plug the floor jets and cap the egr flange (many 440s had this cap) it's the same intake. I've run this on my truck before with excellent results.

Stroker, if you take any later 400 intake and plug the floor jets and cap the egr flange (many 440s had this cap) it's the same intake. I've run this on my truck before with excellent results.

yeah, i know. but it's the look that bothers me. stupid, I know.

Well, keep your eyes out at the meets. A Spreadbore will pop up for a B block sooner or later. I currently have a Holley street dom on my 400, it's a spreadbore with a capped off EGR.

I'd like to get a RPM myself.

Well, keep your eyes out at the meets. A Spreadbore will pop up for a B block sooner or later. I currently have a Holley street dom on my 400, it's a spreadbore with a capped off EGR.

I'd like to get a RPM myself.

i would love to have somethin like that...but again, no spreadbore. All I wanna know is, why the $%^&!!! can't we have somethin like THIS for Mopars? http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/chevy/perf_air_gap-sb.shtml

...and look at that closely. They make FOUR DIFFERENT part numbers for that ONE style manifold! Just hacks me the $%&!! off.

IF I locate a 383 RPM, I'll keep you in mind for the T-Q freindly spreadbore Holley Street Dominator.

IF I locate a 383 RPM, I'll keep you in mind for the T-Q freindly spreadbore Holley Street Dominator.

Thanks. It's a single plane i know, but those were great intakes. I'd certainly be interested. I guess it's non egr?

That thought did cross my mind after reading other disastrous threads on this forum but I can confirm that I was running my motor on a fully synthetic oil with no additives and I can also confirm that I will never be doing that again LOL! There are thousands of engines on the road today quite happily running flat tappets so I am fighting the paranoia and will try another flat tappet cam.

-
Back