What cam?

-

prostreeter9

Reaction score
Hey Guys:

I'm trying to get my 64 Valiant back on the road, and while I got it running I'm wanting to do a few upgrades. Lets start with what I've got, a 64 Valiant 2 door post factory V-8 car that had the 273 replaced with a stock 318 about 20 years ago and has set for the last 15. It has a stock 904 push button trans and stock rear-end (not sure on the ratio yet). The intake is a Elderbrock performer with a 600 Holley setting on it. I recently purchased a set of TTI Headers which still have to be installed which will include duel exhaust. I'm also looking into a MSD distributor system for it. I have no idea how to select a cam, but what I want is a nice street cam that does not require me to do anything with the rear gears or run a stall converter. Just something to wake it up a little.

Any advise is great appreciated.
Jon Williams

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 386
Look at the Comp 265DEH. I am a BIG fan of the Dual Energy series.

Here's Rusty's cam recommendation. I like the idle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, indeed so bomber.

However, a cam with less than 220* will not require a converter change. I have a run a Crane at 216/228-.454/.480-112, idles well. Comp has a similar grind on a 110. Nice muscle car idle.

For certainly change springs with the new cam.

Yea, indeed so bomber.

However, a cam with less than 220* will not require a converter change. I have a run a Crane at 216/228-.454/.480-112, idles well. Comp has a similar grind on a 110. Nice muscle car idle.

For certainly change springs with the new cam.

That Crane sounds a little nastier than the Comp 265DEH. The 112 ° lobe separation will tame it down a little bit. I like the looks of that Crane.

Not at all. These are Mello upgrade cams that perform nicely in there arena.

Not at all. These are Mello upgrade cams that perform nicely in there arena.

Do you have the number of the Crane handy? I haven't been on their website lately but after they got bought out their cataloging left a lot to be desired.

Do you have the number of the Crane handy? I haven't been on their website lately but after they got bought out their cataloging left a lot to be desired.

I should be taking off to work but you sparked my curiosity. I see Summit has some Crane products and they have 3 or 4 small block cams with the same profiles. If I can, I'll list them from mild to wild! (not really wild but getting into stall converter and rear gear upgrade territory) The last one listed is the one you mentioned Rumble.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-693971/overview/make/dodge

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-693901/overview/make/dodge

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-693511/overview/make/dodge

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-693941/overview/make/dodge

Hey guys:

Thanks for the info, looks like I have options. On the springs any advise? Also it says on the headers not to break in a new cam with them on there, why is that?

I will see if I can figure out the gear ratio.

Jon

You need to change the springs out regardless of which new cam you choose. The springs must match the cam chosen.

Mike, Cranecams.com is up and running. The cams listed can be seen in this manor. From top to bottom.

Stock 318, stock 360, upgraded cam similar to factory high performance, street high performance, step "1." They will all work with a stock converter and gear.

The last cam would work well if you avoid a 2.76/2.94 ratio. A 3.21/3.23 gear and a stock diameter tire (wider would be a certain plus!) would be the min. set up I would suggest to make a good combo. Going up to 3.55's would help a bunch, but it is not a move needed to enjoy the cam size and the performance package.

Hey guys:

Thanks for the info, looks like I have options. On the springs any advise? Also it says on the headers not to break in a new cam with them on there, why is that?

I will see if I can figure out the gear ratio.

Jon
You want low spring pressure for break in . With any new cam you need new springs , the ones recommended by cam manufacturer .

Spring? Yes, get the springs that come with the cam from the same manufacturer of the cam. The cam company took the time to create a spring to work with the cam.

Low spring pressure applies else where, not with these cams.

The deal with the headers warning is that the coating can get baked off due to the extra heat created during break in. If the header is just simply painted, no worries. If it has a ceramic or other type coating, use old manifolds or headers instead.

Great info. Sooner or later I need to take the teen out of my Swinger for a reseal and repaint. I might have to "cam it up a notch" while I have the intake and timing cover off for resealing and it's bolted to the engine stand. lol

It would work well for you.I am skeptical about running used cams these days but maybe that is just me.

Hey guys

Guess I should have been a little clearer with my last post, check out the link and let me know if this is a good deal and what you think about about buying used?

Jon

Not a bad cam but a lot of work if a used cam fails.

-
Back